RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Display filters don't apply to tab thumbnail - bug?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Display filters don't apply to tab thumbnail - bug? scl 01 Nov 20:00
scl
2013-11-01 20:00:32 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Display filters don't apply to tab thumbnail - bug?

Hi,

I discovered that the display filter settings don't apply to the tab thumbnails in single window mode.

Use case 1: the user applies a display filter:

How to reproduce: 1. In the Windows menu switch to Single-Window-Mode. 2. Open or create a file.
3. In the View menu choose 'New view'. 4. In the View menu choose 'Display filters...', add a display filter to the list on the right side and configure it to have a clearly visible difference to the image without display filters. I chose the contrast filter and set 8.900 contrast cycles.

Expected result: The thumbnail in the tab of the second view reflects the visual changes by the display filter.

Actual result: The thumbnails of both the image with and without display filters look identically.

For a visual example see http://bit.ly/1cvxzig.

Use case 2: the user has lots of tabs open and wants to switch to particular image.

How to reproduce: Click on the thumbnail with the filtered view.

Expected result: An image is shown that is identical to the thumbnail.

Actual result: An image is shown, but it looks completely different to the thumbnail. That's confusing.

To me it looks like a bug, but I'm a bit unsure. The [Single Window Mode specification] is a bit terse in this point. Interpreting it by its words one could say: 'The tabs are for identifying files. Both tabs are for the same file, thus the thumbnails have to look the same.'
On the other hand, given the purpose to *identify* an image, especially when time is short and the user works with high speed, the thumbnail should be a clear identification of what to expect and this is not given in the current state.

How do you see this?

Kind regards,

Sven

[Single Window Mode specification]: http://gui.gimp.org/index.php/Single-window_mode_specification