RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Idea of a Plug-In manager

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Idea of a Plug-In manager Jehan Pagès 02 Oct 15:42
Jehan Pagès
2013-10-02 15:42:44 UTC (over 10 years ago)

Idea of a Plug-In manager

Hello Ingo, and all GIMP devs,

I found you are the registry.gimp.org maintainer, so I hope it's ok for me to send you this message. I am a GIMP developer, and a GIMP user just gave me an idea and I found it very cool, so I am trying to "check the water temperature" and see how feasible it would be.

Basically he was interested in a Plug-In Manager, which could be a master plug-in in GIMP able to browse the plug-ins, their description, note and comments, and install/uninstall them in a click. In other words, a plugin manager a-la Firefox. And I thought that was a really cool idea.

I don't see this as any priority, and likely such a thing would not happen in the next major release. But maybe for GIMP 3.0 for instance, that would be an awesome feature, in my opinion. Even more since GIMP 2.10 would likely break compatibility with many plug-ins, with the full switch to GEGL, that would be a good time to start a structured plug-in repo.

As I see it, one of the pre-requisites would be to have a more structured registry. Not just drupal free-form pages (it can still be drupal, I don't really care, but there should be semantic logic of the page and its contents, to know the plug-in name, with files in the right format, which version it is reported to work or not, etc.). So I was wondering, do you think this kind of change could be possible in some future of the registry.gimp.org website, or do you just let it run without any plan of further improvement? The latter is fine, and that's still nice contribution, just to know if you were up for bigger. :-)

Of course there would be more pre-requisites for such a project, like more contributors involved to manage such a registry, I think. But as I said, I just check the temperature to see if anyone is interested. And also, I repeat, this is just an idea thrown out there. No code or anything like this yet.
Right now I just discussed this idea a little on IRC. Thanks for reading.

Jehan