RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Good Linux IDE for Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Good Linux IDE for Gimp? Ofnuts 19 Jul 21:44
  f8d5967311e6a8d9c793d990fdd... 20 Jul 19:49
   Good Linux IDE for Gimp? Ofnuts 20 Jul 19:48
  Good Linux IDE for Gimp? scl 20 Jul 18:44
   Good Linux IDE for Gimp? Martin Renold 21 Jul 06:47
    Good Linux IDE for Gimp? Srihari Sriraman 21 Jul 07:12
Ofnuts
2013-07-19 21:44:32 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Good Linux IDE for Gimp?

I'd like to a bit more acquainted with Gimp source and that means an IDE (because it's mostly browsing code at the beginning). So, what would be the simplest IDE to setup (ideally, install from Ubuntu's software centre, give it the GIT location, and off we go...)?

scl
2013-07-20 18:44:27 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Good Linux IDE for Gimp?

There was a similar question on this mailing list last December*.
The results I gathered were mainly GEdit and Geany as the simple editors and Emacs as more sophisticated editor. I personally use Leafpad or GEdit+some plugins for simple editing and as more advanced coding environment Eclipse with the CDT plugin (which was improved with the latest June 2013 release). Some people had problems with Eclipse and use Netbeans instead. In my experience Geany is similar to GEdit but takes as long as the big Eclipse to start.
Can some of the EMacs guys here tell us which plug-ins and shortcuts they use?

Kind regards,

Sven

*December: https://mail.gnome.org/archives/gimp-developer-list/2012-December/msg00000.html

Ofnuts
2013-07-20 19:48:18 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Good Linux IDE for Gimp?

On 07/20/2013 01:29 AM, Owen wrote:

I'd like to a bit more acquainted with Gimp source and that means an IDE
(because it's mostly browsing code at the beginning). So, what would be
the simplest IDE to setup (ideally, install from Ubuntu's software centre, give it the GIT location, and off we go...)?

This could be better than the "HATE GIMP" threads :-)

Vi, gedit, geany(http://www.geany.org/), Kdevelop, Code::Blocks (http://www.codeblocks.org)

Vi, Gedit: not really IDEs,

kdevelop: tried it first since I use KDE, but only for C++, Python and PHP these days.

Code::blocks: still looking for a Git plugin.

Currently trying Anjuta....

Martin Renold
2013-07-21 06:47:48 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Good Linux IDE for Gimp?

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:44:27PM +0200, scl wrote:

From personal experience, Emacs is an IDE that you have to grow up with, not something you just install and use. Learning and configuring it can pay off only if you are going to use it for years.

I once made a serious attempt to switch to vim, because Emacs has a few quirks, and I use vim keybindings in Emacs anyway. I even wrote vim code to add back a feature I missed. The end result: I was back in Emacs, with a couple of new features borrowed from vim.

I'm not sure I recommend Emacs though. There must be something more modern to start with today. Once you learned and configured it all to your liking, you're sort of locked up.

Martin Renold
Srihari Sriraman
2013-07-21 07:12:15 UTC (almost 11 years ago)

Good Linux IDE for Gimp?

I use sublime text with vim mode. It gives the power of vim + most features in Textmate. With the new Sublime Text 3 features, it is much faster. Do give it a try.

On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 12:17 PM, Martin Renold wrote:

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 08:44:27PM +0200, scl wrote:

From personal experience, Emacs is an IDE that you have to grow up with, not
something you just install and use. Learning and configuring it can pay off
only if you are going to use it for years.

I once made a serious attempt to switch to vim, because Emacs has a few quirks, and I use vim keybindings in Emacs anyway. I even wrote vim code to
add back a feature I missed. The end result: I was back in Emacs, with a couple of new features borrowed from vim.

I'm not sure I recommend Emacs though. There must be something more modern to start with today. Once you learned and configured it all to your liking,
you're sort of locked up.

--
Martin Renold
_______________________________________________ gimp-developer-list mailing list
List address: gimp-developer-list@gnome.org List membership:
https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer-list

--
Srihari Sriraman -- ⌀ -- nilenso.com