RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

vector graphics

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

vector graphics hendrik-e9JHxFxFq/nmOAo1QFYKGQ@public.gmane.org 29 Aug 04:22
vector graphics Øyvind Kolås 29 Aug 10:37
hendrik-e9JHxFxFq/nmOAo1QFYKGQ@public.gmane.org
2006-08-29 04:22:52 UTC (over 17 years ago)

vector graphics

I looked at the huge list of operations at http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gegl-developer/2006-August/000553.html and noticed that there doesn't seem to be anything to support vector graphics. Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

The web page mentions

We are working on ... flexible tile based systems

Is there someplace specific I should look for this? I don't care if it is actually coded or is justa vague dream, but I'd like to see what you have in mind.

Actually, I'd prefer the vague dream stage, because I've been working on recursive hierarchical tile systems for landscape generation, with realistic-looking river networks. But displaying this really wants 3-D, which (at least for now) seems to be outside the scope of the project.

-- hendrik

Øyvind Kolås
2006-08-29 10:37:02 UTC (over 17 years ago)

vector graphics

On 8/29/06, hendrik-e9JHxFxFq/nmOAo1QFYKGQ@public.gmane.org wrote:

I looked at the huge list of operations at http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/lists/gegl-developer/2006-August/000553.html and noticed that there doesn't seem to be anything to support vector graphics. Or am I just looking in the wrong place?

You are looking in the correct place, GEGL is not a vector handling framework but a compositing/image processing framework that works with raster graphics. The only way vector graphics enters the picture is with buffer loaders, there is for instance work in progress on a SVG loader using librsvg, that will rasterize the vector content of the SVG into a buffer.

It is likely that this will work both with inline SVG data, as well as with reference to an external file.

/Øyvind K.