RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Python bindings.

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Python bindings. Victor Bogado da Silva Lins 21 Aug 23:02
Python bindings. Øyvind Kolås 22 Aug 01:04
Victor Bogado da Silva Lins
2006-08-21 23:02:52 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Python bindings.

I am trying, as in not being very successfully, to make a python biding for gegl. I had hit a first road block. When I call gegl_init from my binding it gives me a segmentation fault.

The problem seems to be in the babl library, it has a 'db' global that is being used uninitialized. I particularly think that such globals should be a class variable, gobject do suport them or am I mistaken?

Anyway I first thought that this was a problem of the name that was conflicting with some other symbol elsewhere. I then proceeded to rename all instances of the variable "db" to "babl_internal_db", I think that this is much more sane and is easier to search and replace if this bad scheme is to be changed in the future (I know I know, "who the hell does he think he is to say that...", sorry if it made someone mad, it is my opinion).

I am attaching the "cvs diff" in this email so people could use if this is desired. I also would want to share my work in this python bindings, but I fear it is a little too big to post here... :-)

Øyvind Kolås
2006-08-22 01:04:28 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Python bindings.

On 8/21/06, Victor Bogado da Silva Lins wrote:

I am trying, as in not being very successfully, to make a python biding for gegl. I had hit a first road block. When I call gegl_init from my binding it gives me a segmentation fault.

The problem seems to be in the babl library, it has a 'db' global that is being used uninitialized. I particularly think that such globals should be a class variable, gobject do suport them or am I mistaken?

Babl doesn't use GObject (or even glib), but it's a simple type model for color models, data types, conversions, samples etc. Each type has a compilation unit static database, all of them called db, since that is how it gets defined in babl-internal.h. Thus it cannot be linked wrong, and not using the name "db" for a non exported symbol seems quite strict to me.

Does GEGL seem to work (the gegl binary), when not trying to make a python extension?

/Øyvind K.