RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Start hacking GEGL

This discussion is connected to the gegl-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Start hacking GEGL Leonardo Giordani 03 Mar 11:12
Start hacking GEGL Øyvind Kolås 03 Mar 11:52
Leonardo Giordani
2006-03-03 11:12:04 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Start hacking GEGL

Hi all,

my name is Leonardo Giordani. I am an italian Linux user and I work as C/Python developer in the field of scientific applications (signal processing). I have some knowledge about graphics programming mainly coming from the demoscene.

I'm very interested in GEGL and The GIMP, and I downloaded the GEGL source code in order to begin understanding it.

Afer reading some code and documentation I am a bit confused...

The main questions are:

1) GEGL, gggl, babl: it is not clear to me "what is what". Should I study gggl and babl to understand GEGL?

"This library is designed to do what GEGL will be designed to handle: image processing operations catering for GIMP and many other applications."

So GEGL is gggl-based?

"Gggl is a version of GEGL that tries to be as simple as possible, but not simpler."

...or gggl is a tiny GEGL version?

2) Directed acyclic graph: where can I find more documentation about it?

3) Who is working in what field? Who can I help?

Thank you very much for your help.

Øyvind Kolås
2006-03-03 11:52:23 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Start hacking GEGL

* Leonardo Giordani [060303 11:45]:

Hi all,

my name is Leonardo Giordani. I am an italian Linux user and I work as C/Python developer in the field of scientific applications (signal processing). I have some knowledge about graphics programming mainly coming from the demoscene.

I'm very interested in GEGL and The GIMP, and I downloaded the GEGL source code in order to begin understanding it.

Afer reading some code and documentation I am a bit confused...

The main questions are:

1) GEGL, gggl, babl: it is not clear to me "what is what". Should I study gggl and babl to understand GEGL?

I created gggl to understand GEGL myself, babl is a byproduct of that process which will be reused in GEGL.

"This library is designed to do what GEGL will be designed to handle: image processing operations catering for GIMP and many other applications."

So GEGL is gggl-based?

"Gggl is a version of GEGL that tries to be as simple as possible, but not simpler."

...or gggl is a tiny GEGL version?

gggl is a tiny GEGL

2) Directed acyclic graph: where can I find more documentation about it?

3) Who is working in what field? Who can I help?

I am currently working on yet another related project, called horizon http://pippin.gimp.org/horizon/ , my hope is to be able to reuse the sparse buffer representation (the canvas subdirectory) from horizon in GEGL. My plan forward is to replace the image processing operations in horizon with GeglOperations, which eventually will be tied together by a graph. My reason for doing things in this order is that I find it much easier to work on code that actually does something visual rather than work on code that eventually will do something visual.

The portion of the GEGL code I understood the least last summer when looking into it was the gegl/image folder. Portions of that code will be deprecated by babl and other portions will be deprecated by the buffer implementation that is emerging in horizon.

/Øyvind K.