RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

2.4 Features Documenting Season now Open ;)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

2.4 Features Documenting Season now Open ;) Roman Joost 26 Jul 14:20
  2.4 Features Documenting Season now Open ;) Axel Wernicke 26 Jul 14:45
   2.4 Features Documenting Season now Open ;) Alessandro Falappa 26 Jul 17:16
   2.4 Features Documenting Season now Open ;) Roman Joost 26 Jul 18:17
    2.4 Features Documenting Season now Open ;) Sven Neumann 26 Jul 23:51
     2.4 Features Documenting Season now Open ;) Roman Joost 29 Jul 11:04
Roman Joost
2007-07-26 14:20:46 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi list,

We did it! I rolled the last manual release for GIMP 2.2 out today, which will be available for download soon (with an announcement and all that jazz).

That means, that we can start documenting GIMP 2.4 features from now on. I think the next release name would be:

gimp-help-2-2.4.14.tar.gz

to have the release number of the GIMP version in the filename. Any suggestions, comments about this?

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2007-07-26 14:45:29 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Great news!

But the numbering for the next release - I don't know - it looks much to complicated. Why can't we suppress the first "2" - lets make it gimp-help-2.4-14.tar.gz. So the naming scheme simply sticks to the GIMP version major.minor and adds our own relase number. We also could consider to "reset" our own release numbers to zero for each new GIMP version. This would make the first release for GIMP 2.4 the gimp-help-2.4.1.tar.gz - this looks best to me!

Greetings and happy writing,

lexA

2007/7/26, Roman Joost :

Hi list,

We did it! I rolled the last manual release for GIMP 2.2 out today, which will be available for download soon (with an announcement and all that jazz).

That means, that we can start documenting GIMP 2.4 features from now on. I think the next release name would be:

gimp-help-2-2.4.14.tar.gz

to have the release number of the GIMP version in the filename. Any suggestions, comments about this?

Greetings, --
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de
email: romanofski at gimp.org

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFGqJGe8CscaEkpx0IRAtNJAJ4ozTjbOMoff05Zjd/aWamACyLRjgCeJM0G 5LBPu1qzF1JgnrQiBjROKH0=
=RAbj
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

_______________________________________________ Gimp-docs mailing list
Gimp-docs at lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-docs

Alessandro Falappa
2007-07-26 17:16:14 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Axel Wernicke ha scritto:

Great news!

But the numbering for the next release - I don't know - it looks much to complicated. Why can't we suppress the first "2" - lets make it gimp-help-2.4-14.tar.gz. So the naming scheme simply sticks to the GIMP version major.minor and adds our own relase number. We also could consider to "reset" our own release numbers to zero for each new GIMP version. This would make the first release for GIMP 2.4 the gimp-help-2.4.1.tar.gz - this looks best to me!

Greetings and happy writing,

lexA

I personally agree with Axel (both suggestions). Are there any reasons preventing the "first 2" suppression?

By the way, we should also pay attention to the characters that separate the name from the release number and from the archive extension. I personally would choose a scheme that does not conflict with Linux distros packaging systems (that may add a package number at the end for example).

Greetings.

Roman Joost
2007-07-26 18:17:17 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 02:45:29PM +0200, Axel Wernicke wrote:

Great news!

To be honest: for me as well. There is already another module in GNOME CVS called gimp-help, which is the 'old' user manual (for GIMP 1.2).

So - I'm not sure if we can easily change our scheme to this. Would be much better indeed.

Greetings,

Sven Neumann
2007-07-26 23:51:00 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 18:17 +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

There is already another module in GNOME CVS called gimp-help, which is the 'old' user manual (for GIMP 1.2).

So - I'm not sure if we can easily change our scheme to this. Would be much better indeed.

The choice of the SVN module name is somewhat unfortunate. And it could probably even be changed at some point. Has the gimp-help module been migrated to SVN at all?

Anyway, this shouldn't keep you from using gimp-help as the package name when doing releases. Please go ahead and use gimp-help-2.4.0 for the first gimp-help release targetting GIMP 2.4.

Sven

Roman Joost
2007-07-29 11:04:10 UTC (almost 17 years ago)

Hi Sven,

On Thu, Jul 26, 2007 at 11:51:00PM +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:

On Thu, 2007-07-26 at 18:17 +0200, Roman Joost wrote:

There is already another module in GNOME CVS called gimp-help, which is the 'old' user manual (for GIMP 1.2).

The choice of the SVN module name is somewhat unfortunate. And it could probably even be changed at some point. Has the gimp-help module been migrated to SVN at all?

Yes unfortunately ...

Anyway, this shouldn't keep you from using gimp-help as the package name when doing releases. Please go ahead and use gimp-help-2.4.0 for the first gimp-help release targetting GIMP 2.4.

Thanks! That makes it even easier :)

Greetings,