RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

FW: technical question

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

FW: technical question Sally C. Barry 23 Aug 07:10
  FW: technical question Sven Neumann 23 Aug 10:27
002a01c6c712$5e874560$bca5f... 07 Oct 20:29
  FW: technical question Sven Neumann 23 Aug 22:58
Sally C. Barry
2006-08-23 07:10:11 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hello All -

I'm working on the Glossary again, this time a little more thoroughly.

There is a comment in x.xml, about XCF that says:

Can anyone tell me what this is about? Does the English still need changing? If so, what should it say?

I can read German and a bit of French, but Czech is unfortunately not one of my capabilities. :-(

Thanks so much!

Sally in Massachusetts

Sven Neumann
2006-08-23 10:27:37 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 10:15 -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:

There is a comment in x.xml, about XCF that says:

Can anyone tell me what this is about? Does the English still need changing? If so, what should it say?

The english documentation is indeed wrong here. The XCF format uses compression. Nothing fancy, but it uses a lossless run-length encoding scheme. The docs claim that each byte of image data would equal one byte in the XCF file. That's just plain wrong. I would suggest that this entire section is removed. It's probably worth noting that XCF files can become large and that they can be compressed uing for example gzip.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2006-08-23 22:58:17 UTC (over 17 years ago)

Hi,

On Wed, 2006-08-23 at 20:15 -0400, Sally C. Barry wrote:

By the way, do you know if the "True Color" that is used in Gimp is the same thing that is meant by "TrueColor" in the X Window System?

I don't think we use the term True Color in GIMP. But GIMP's RGB mode is 8bit per color channel, which makes 24 or 32 bits per pixel depending on whether you have an alpha channel or not. That makes up for about 16.7 million colors.

I'm imagining that is just a shorthand way of saying that the image is in color, where the colors are specified with 24 bit hex values.

No, the colors aren't specified with 24 bit hex values. Hexadecimal notation is one way that humans use to specify colors. Computers only know 0 and 1, and they need 24 of those to store an RGB color.

Sven