RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

script to check link validity

This discussion is connected to the gimp-docs-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Please take care for link validity! Axel Wernicke 18 Feb 01:47
  Please take care for link validity! Roman Joost 18 Feb 06:55
   Please take care for link validity! Axel Wernicke 18 Feb 07:29
    Please take care for link validity! Roman Joost 18 Feb 07:36
    script to check link validity Roman Joost 19 Feb 04:58
     script to check link validity Axel Wernicke 19 Feb 06:48
      script to check link validity Axel Wernicke 19 Feb 07:03
     script to check link validity Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 19 Feb 19:01
      script to check link validity Roman Joost 20 Feb 00:01
     script to check link validity julien 20 Feb 07:05
      script to check link validity Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris 20 Feb 08:26
Axel Wernicke
2006-02-18 01:47:18 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Please take care for link validity!

Hi gimp docs authors,

please if you work with images in the manual double check that the file reference you use is valid! Unfortunately the make process for html is not aware of missing images or misspelled references right now. I just wanted to create a fresh set of pdf documents for the different languages and had to find out that there are lots of unsatisfied image references in the xml files. Each of them takes 20 minutes or so to fix, because you get only one per make - try :( If one would consequently have a look to the html files of the sections one changed *before* creating a patch, one would probably see the missing images! Having a look to the result of a new written / translated or changed section is the least work each of us should to in terms of quality assurance.

Well, now I'm going to hunt the next invalid reference - no new pdf version today :(

greetings lexa ---
Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ pr?fen

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Type: application/pgp-signature
Size: 186 bytes
Desc: Signierter Teil der Nachricht
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060218/90dfc1ab/PGP.bin

Roman Joost
2006-02-18 06:55:15 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:46:59AM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

please if you work with images in the manual double check that the file reference you use is valid! Unfortunately the make process for html is not aware of missing images or misspelled references right now.

You definitly have a point here Axel.

I'll try to come up with a more automatic solution. A small script should do the work and shouldn't be to hard to implement. That will raise the validation time, but will certainly improve the quality of our source code.

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2006-02-18 07:29:39 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Am 18.02.2006 um 15:55 schrieb Roman Joost:

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 10:46:59AM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

I'll try to come up with a more automatic solution. A small script should do the work and shouldn't be to hard to implement. That will raise the validation time, but will certainly improve the quality of our
source code.

If we are at this topic by now, I think a check which of the files (images) in our src and images directories are really referenced from some xml file would allow us to throw unused images out. This could save us some space since I guess over time there were some orphans "created".

Greetings,

lexA

Greetings,

Roman Joost
2006-02-18 07:36:36 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Sat, Feb 18, 2006 at 04:29:25PM +0100, Axel Wernicke wrote:

If we are at this topic by now, I think a check which of the files (images) in our src and images directories are really referenced from some xml file would allow us to throw unused images out. This could save us some space since I guess over time there were some orphans "created".

Yeah - thats what I thought as well. I'm on it. If nothing interferes my work I could probably come up with something today evening.

Greetings,

Roman Joost
2006-02-19 04:58:02 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hopefully I hacked something usefull together. Works for me very well, but before I add it to the CVS I really want to know if it works for others. You can download it from:

http://www.romanofski.de/downloads/validateReferences.py

I really want to know if the script works as well as for me.

Installation:
Just drop it in the root of the gimp-help-2 directory and run it by:

python validateReferences.py

This should spill out xml files which have broken references. You can call it with the '-i' option to check for orphaned image files. A help is also available by using the '-h' option.

The script uses either the python default xml stuff or lxml. I prefer the latter one, because it has no awful side effects as the normal libxml bindings in python. Well, whatever you prefer ...

Feel free to hack this script :)

Greetings,

Axel Wernicke
2006-02-19 06:48:48 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi Roman,

great work! Unfortunately there seems to be a python package missing, question is wich one and where to get it from:

Traceback (most recent call last): File "validateReferences.py", line 26, in ? from xml import xpath
ImportError: cannot import name xpath

Greetings,

lexA

--- Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ pr?fen

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: PGP.sig
Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060219/f267c3c1/PGP.bin

Axel Wernicke
2006-02-19 07:03:41 UTC (about 18 years ago)

I like it to answer myself :)

so, I installed pyxml-py24 and it worked like a charm.

Just two minor wishes: - when a missing image ref is found I'd prefer a bit more structured output like:

file ./src/dialogs/channel-selection-mask.xml contains invalid references to

file ./src/dialogs/path-dialog.xml contains invalid references to

- if the script is started with the -h argument, it shows the help but seems to start running with the default running?! It should just exit instead shouldn't it?

Greetings,

leXa

--- Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get... GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ pr?fen

Url : /lists/gimp-docs/attachments/20060219/78ab7b6d/PGP.bin

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-02-19 19:01:46 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Sunday 19 February 2006 09:57 am, Roman Joost wrote:

[Gimp-docs] script to check link validity Date: Today 09:57:46 am
To: GIMP Docs

Hopefully I hacked something usefull together. Works for me very well, but before I add it to the CVS I really want to know if it works for others. You can download it from:

? ? http://www.romanofski.de/downloads/validateReferences.py

Installation: ? ?
? ? Just drop it in the root of the gimp-help-2 directory and run it by:

? ? ? ? python validateReferences.py

Hi Roman ...
since I suggested a tools/ dir for my translation-helping scripts already, maybe you'd like to put both scripts in such a dir?

Regards,
JS
->

? ? This should spill out xml files which have broken references. You can call it with the '-i' option to check for orphaned image files. A help is also available by using the '-h' option.

? ? The script uses either the python default xml stuff or lxml. I ? ? prefer the latter one, because it has no awful side effects as the normal libxml bindings in python. Well, whatever you prefer ...

Feel free to hack this script :)

Greetings, --
Roman Joost
www: http://www.romanofski.de
email: romanofski@gimp.org
End of signed message

Roman Joost
2006-02-20 00:01:57 UTC (about 18 years ago)

Hi Joao,

On Mon, Feb 20, 2006 at 01:01:34AM -0200, Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris wrote:

Hi Roman ...
since I suggested a tools/ dir for my translation-helping scripts already, maybe you'd like to put both scripts in such a dir?

I'll do!

Greetings,

julien
2006-02-20 07:05:34 UTC (about 18 years ago)

After installing python-pyxml-0.8.4-2mdk on my Mandriva 2006 and validating my scratch xml files, validateReferences works fine. Two remarks:
- Is it possible to validateReferences for one language only? - I prefer to keep validateReferences out of "make validate": When validating my work, I have to "make validate" several times in a row, and that's long enough! No need to validateReferences every time.

Roman Joost a ?crit :

Joao S. O. Bueno Calligaris
2006-02-20 08:26:52 UTC (about 18 years ago)

On Monday 20 February 2006 12:05 pm, julien wrote:

After installing python-pyxml-0.8.4-2mdk on my Mandriva 2006 and validating my scratch xml files, validateReferences works fine. Two remarks:
- Is it possible to validateReferences for one language only?

Oh...as soon as the other scritp I mentioned is in CVS you willbe able to do that - just separate the XML files for the langauge(s)s of interest, and run it for that xml only.

validating my work, I have to "make validate" several times in a row, and that's long enough! No need to validateReferences every time.

Well, working with the separator script would require you to issue it manually anyway - as it should run over another XML file, not the source one.

Roman Joost a ?crit :