RSS/Atom feed identi.ca Twitter

GIMP 2.8.2 (+Windows build) has been released

By at 2012-08-23 22:55:59 UTC, last updated about 2 years ago. CC BY-NC License

GIMP 2.8.2 has been released and contains some amendments (including improvements for Mac OS X) and bugfixes.

For instance, the performance of some filters has been improved and the Close dialog tells when closing an unsaved, but exported image.

As always, we have linked the soure code and the already available Windows version in our downloads.

If you are curious about the version number: Releases will have an even micro version number (the third part of the number) from now on to distinguish between non-released and released versions. For instance, if you fetch the current source code from the repository and build it, you will get GIMP 2.8.3 and not 2.8.4. As soon as the work is complete, 2.8.4 will be released.

The full list of changes (taken from the official ChangeLog):

Overview of Changes from GIMP 2.8.0 to GIMP 2.8.2

Core:

- Make tag matching always case-insensitive
- Let the tile-cache-size default to half the physical memory

GUI:

- Mention that the image was exported in the close warning dialog
- Make sure popup windows appear on top on OSX
- Allow file opening by dropping to the OSX dock
- Fix the visibility logic of the export/overwrite menu items
- Remove all “Use GEGL” menu items, they only add bugs and zero
function
- Improve performance of display filters, especially color management
- Fix the image window title to comply with the save/export spec
and use the same image name everywhere, not only in the title
- Fix positioning of pasted/dropped stuff to be more reasonable

Libgimp:

- Move gimpdir and thumbnails to proper locations on OSX
- Implement relocation on OSX
- Allow to use $(gimp_installation_dir) in config files

Plug-ins:

- Fix remembering of JPEG load/save defaults
- Revive the page setup dialog on Windows

Source and build system:

- Add Windows installer infrastructure
- Add infrastructure to build GIMP.app on OSX

General:

- Lots of bug fixes
- List of translation updates

Comments

Post your own comments, questions or hints here. The author and other users will see your posting and can reply to it.

Of course, you can also ask in the chat.

Subscription management

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

User rating

This topic (GIMP 2.8.2 (+Windows build) has been released) has been rated 5.0/5.0.

As a registered user, you can rate articles and comments, attach files to comments, subscribe to topics and you don't need to solve CAPTCHAs anymore.

*…optional

unhammer member for almost 5 years unhammer 24 comments
over 1 year ago

Emma, use 2.8.2. The official web site is http://www.gimp.org/ – they have a big download button that should give you a page saying "Download GIMP 2.8.2 – Installer for Windows XP SP3 or later". Remember to only ever download from the links endorsed by gimp.org (there have been some other sites that repackage gimp to include advertising or even worse stuff).

http://www.gimp.org/docs/ should be your first stop for help – the User Manual is very good for reference on individual tools, and they have tutorials divided into Beginners, Intermediate and Advanced sections.

Other than that, I recommend asking for specific problems, you're more likely to get help that way. And ask on the mailing list (https://mail.gnome.org/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user-list)

Emma
over 1 year ago

I am very new to GIMP. I have windows 8,64 bit, which I am also muddling through. I cannot seem to get the hang of using GIMP and have tried to download the extensions but they don't seem to show up or when I try to add them to the GIMP program, I cant find them. I am having a difficult time trying to figure out how to use GIMP - layers, channels, and editing. Any help will be greatly appreciated as to which GIMP application I should use, 2.6 or 2.8.8

Recon
almost 2 years ago

The GIMP 2.8.2 is good but it is little bit slow in windows 7 with 6gb ram and i3 processor

djexz24
almost 2 years ago

I really appreciate the new GIMP 2.8.2 interface. I'm using Windows 7, i encountered a bug when I tried to use the Cage Tranformation tool.

RushingCanisLupis
almost 2 years ago

I really like the new updates, they are really good. But i noticed a bug: the smudge tool and the blur tool aren't working. I had to switch programme to be able to smudge and blur parts of an image I was drawing.
But still, I really like it, way better than the older one (2.6).

Michael
almost 2 years ago

Lyle, why don't you just ask the creator of the installers himself?

The mail address is available in the digital signature of the installer files, for example. Or simply join the #gimp IRC channel on irc.gimp.org and look for the nick 'ender'.

Stuart member for over 3 years Stuart 3 comments
almost 2 years ago

Thanks very much for all the hard work. I installed gimp-2.8.2-setup-1.exe over the top of my existing Gimp 2.8 and everything worked fine first time. No sign of any of the problems with UFRAW or performance mentioned in some of the comments here (and some things seem faster). Still takes ages to start though!

Corey
about 2 years ago

This has happened before, look in the GIMP 2.6.12 folder, there are 3 installers. The last release that didn't have a "-1" appended to it was 2.6.9.

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

Still very cryptic; almost like a pushed secret OS update that Micro$oft sometimes installs without telling you why. lol

Hope GIMP isn't going to the darkside on us Windows users. ;)

Corey
about 2 years ago

It's not the drop shadow thing, I just checked mine after installing the new build and it still has the old values.

Probably just something specific to the Windows setup/installation process, nothing relating to the actual gimp code.

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

Odinbc (at GIMPChat) pointed me to the github and there it looks like they may have made dropshadow look better if I'm reading it correctly. :)

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

Yes it was Bearsly; yet they released 2.8.2-1 just a few hours ago and I did just downlaod it (but not install it yet). I like 2.8.2; it fixed a few bugs that I worked around and now don't have to anymore. I would like to know what extra things they added to 2.8.2-1 since its around 900K bigger then 2.8.2. :)

Bearsly member for over 3 years Bearsly 6 comments
about 2 years ago

Please! GIMP 2,8,2 was so Easy to install !

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

I would like to know too Corey; did download (just now) this file, but won't install it until I find out. :)

Corey
about 2 years ago

Does anyone know why "gimp-2.8.2-setup-1.exe" was added to the Windows downloads page?

Difydave member for over 4 years Difydave 11 comments rated this topic with 5/5
about 2 years ago

Great release! Many thanks to the developers.
It's perfectly usable as it is now. Some things appear to work much better / faster. The healing tool for example.
Brush lag is fixed. Some slight "tearing" when dragging an image, but that's not a big problem for me. Zooming is OK. That's with a 16Mp image, on a quad core AMD, 8 Gig, reasonable graphics card. Win 7 64bit.

radek

How can I do that?

devvv member for almost 8 years devvv 1419 comments
about 2 years ago

I think, disabling gegl for rendering may fix this!

radek
about 2 years ago

I appreciate the work of all developers but it's still unusable. Problem with view-port performance on windows persist. Screenshot: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/32971576/gimp.jpg

swordfish1945 member for over 2 years swordfish1945 2 comments
about 2 years ago

Got the UFRAW problem fixed.
Now when starting Gimp 2.8.2 64-bit in windows 7 I get errors loading file-tiff-save.exe & file-tiff-load.exe. Unable to load.
Any fixes for this?

Stephen

This is awesome!
A huge thanks to the GIMP developer team, they're doing such a great job!

unhammer member for almost 5 years unhammer 24 comments rated this topic with 5/5
about 2 years ago

also, gimp.org says they're close to an official gimp.app for mac :-)

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

Again, I wanted to re-iterate, hyper super kudos to the developers. Only played with a few things that were issues with the initial release. All's well. Even brush lags no longer an issue anymore. Fantatic folks and if I could pat you on the back, I would. :)

Bearsly member for over 3 years Bearsly 6 comments
about 2 years ago

Works great ! Awesome! Thanks !

swordfish1945 member for over 2 years swordfish1945 2 comments
about 2 years ago

Every time I update Gimp with new version UFRAW to GIMP doesn't work. Anyone have a solution to prevent this?

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

Thanks to Photocomix, I know what dbp.exe is (David Batch Processor). I have no need for it so just moved it out of my plugins directory and all's well. Just wanted to give you all the extra info. :)

redforce member for almost 8 years redforce 228 comments
about 2 years ago

Update: Windows build available too!

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

Meant dbp.exe not dpb.exe. Oh well. lol

Lyle member for over 2 years Lyle 78 comments
about 2 years ago

Yeaaaaaaa; Whoopiee. Now PSPI and User filter work fine together. Only weird issue is I have an issue with dpb.exe (see attached). Doesn't appear to be an issue with GIMP itself since it works fine; only when launching so it's annoying more then anyting. :)