RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect J Figueroa G 28 Jan 15:58
  About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect Claus Cyrny 28 Jan 16:31
   About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect (correction) Claus Cyrny 28 Jan 16:48
   About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect Nathan Lane 28 Jan 17:00
    About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect Claus Cyrny 28 Jan 18:43
  About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect Sven Neumann 29 Jan 23:21
J Figueroa G
2009-01-28 15:58:30 UTC (about 15 years ago)

I have one question about a filter, plugin or script that can make a similar effect like THIS

I can say that this is an Pointillist Effect, but the newspaper filter effect can't make.

I hope that you can give me one answer or guide steps.

TY.

Claus Cyrny
2009-01-28 16:31:47 UTC (about 15 years ago)

J Figueroa G wrote:

I have one question about a filter, plugin or script that can make a similar effect like THIS IMAGE

I can say that this is an Pointillist Effect, but the newspaper filter effect can't make.

At a very first glance, I see that this is an indexed image with a color depth of just 1-bit. This effect can be achieved by dithering the image.

One (quick) way to do it would be:

1.) Convert the image to greyscale. 2.) Optimize it (remove background etc.) 3. Increase the contrast as much as possible, without losing the details you would like to keep.
4.) Convert the image from greyscale to indexed with 2 colors (black and white). Set the options 'Use a black and white (1-bit) palette' and 'Dithering > Color Dithering > Floyd-Steinberg (reduced color bleeding)'.

You may not get all the subtle details included in your example (this 'copperplate engraving' effect), but at least that's a start. Maybe there is some plug-in for the Gimp available.

HTH,

Claus

Claus Cyrny
2009-01-28 16:48:33 UTC (about 15 years ago)

About Pointillism / Pointillist Effect (correction)

Claus Cyrny wrote:

3. Increase the contrast as much as possible, without losing the details you would like to keep.

Here I made a mistake. The more shades of grey you have in the original image, the better the dithering (-> more details).

Claus

Nathan Lane
2009-01-28 17:00:16 UTC (about 15 years ago)

I just tried out what Claus suggested on this picture of Dennis Ritchie (attached).

1. Image > Mode > Grayscale 2. Colors > Brightness-Contrast (Brightness=127, Contrast=35) 3. Image > Mode > Indexed (Generate optimum pallette, Maximum number of colors=2)
4. Opened up the Colormap tab on the Layers, Channels,... toolbox (color0=000000, color1=ffffff)

and I ended up with the other attached image that almost looks like the Linus Torvalds image you attached.

Nathan

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 8:31 AM, Claus Cyrny wrote:

J Figueroa G wrote:

I have one question about a filter, plugin or script that can make a similar effect like THIS IMAGE

At a very first glance, I see that this is an indexed image with a color depth of just 1-bit. This effect can be achieved by dithering the image.

One (quick) way to do it would be:

1.) Convert the image to greyscale. 2.) Optimize it (remove background etc.) 3. Increase the contrast as much as possible, without losing the details you would like to keep.
4.) Convert the image from greyscale to indexed with 2 colors (black and white). Set the options 'Use a black and white (1-bit) palette' and 'Dithering > Color Dithering > Floyd-Steinberg (reduced color bleeding)'.

You may not get all the subtle details included in your example (this 'copperplate engraving' effect), but at least that's a start. Maybe there is some plug-in for the Gimp available.

HTH,

Claus

-- Claus Cyrny : Webdesign | Grafik | Fotografie :: Web: http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/ ::. :: Fotos: http://photo.net/photodb/slideshow?folder_id=714471 ::. _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Claus Cyrny
2009-01-28 18:43:26 UTC (about 15 years ago)

Nathan Lane wrote:

I just tried out what Claus suggested on this picture of Dennis Ritchie (attached).

1. Image > Mode > Grayscale 2. Colors > Brightness-Contrast (Brightness=127, Contrast=35) 3. Image > Mode > Indexed (Generate optimum pallette, Maximum number of colors=2)
4. Opened up the Colormap tab on the Layers, Channels,... toolbox (color0=000000, color1=ffffff)

and I ended up with the other attached image that almost looks like the Linus Torvalds image you attached.

I tried this myself and came up with something similar, but the dithering in the Linus Torvalds image is much subtler. My guess is that this was achieved by using a plug-in (Photoshop?). I couldn't find anything similar (at least during a quick search) on the Gimp plug-ins site, at http://registry.gimp.org/. Maybe someone else can find anything.

Greetings,

Claus

Sven Neumann
2009-01-29 23:21:54 UTC (about 15 years ago)

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 09:58 -0500, J Figueroa G wrote:

Try Filters->Distort->Newsprint

Sven