RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Moving text while typing it.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

15 of 15 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Moving text while typing it. Dotan Cohen 15 Nov 01:53
  Moving text while typing it. Sven Neumann 15 Nov 12:24
   Moving text while typing it. Dotan Cohen 15 Nov 13:07
    Moving text while typing it. Sven Neumann 15 Nov 13:29
     Moving text while typing it. Dotan Cohen 15 Nov 15:04
      Moving text while typing it. Martin Nordholts 15 Nov 15:08
       Moving text while typing it. Dotan Cohen 15 Nov 18:18
      Moving text while typing it. <sablade08@a4skyhawk.org> 15 Nov 17:00
      Moving text while typing it. Sven Neumann 15 Nov 19:56
       Moving text while typing it. Dotan Cohen 16 Nov 09:02
        Moving text while typing it. Sven Neumann 16 Nov 11:03
         Moving text while typing it. Dotan Cohen 16 Nov 14:44
         Moving text while typing it. John Coppens 16 Nov 23:35
          Moving text while typing it. Dotan Cohen 17 Nov 16:00
          Moving text while typing it. Sven Neumann 18 Nov 08:36
Dotan Cohen
2008-11-15 01:53:10 UTC (over 15 years ago)

In KDE's KolourPaint one can open the Text tool, add text, and move the text insert location while the text is in edit mode. How does one do this in Gimp?

Sven Neumann
2008-11-15 12:24:17 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 02:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

In KDE's KolourPaint one can open the Text tool, add text, and move the text insert location while the text is in edit mode. How does one do this in Gimp?

You open the text tool, add text and move the text using your mouse or the cursor keys. How does one do this in KolourPaint?

Sven

Dotan Cohen
2008-11-15 13:07:38 UTC (over 15 years ago)

2008/11/15 Sven Neumann :

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 02:53 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

You open the text tool, add text and move the text using your mouse or the cursor keys. How does one do this in KolourPaint?

Thanks, Sven. It seems that on my system (Kubuntu 8.04) one must close the window labeled "Gimp Text Editor" in order to move the text. In KolourPaint there is no separate text window, rather, the user opens a text box in a fashion similar to the Select tool, and types directly in it. The dimensions and placement of the text box in KolourPaint can be dynamically resized via the mouse while the text is being edited.

Although I can use and get used to the Gimp behaviour, I prefer the intuitive and versatile method presented in KolourPaint. As I am new to Gimp, would it be a waste of developers' time to file an Enhancement Request? I know that projects like KDE love these types of usability requests, and other projects such as Mozilla hate them. In which camp does Gimp lay?

Sven Neumann
2008-11-15 13:29:24 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 14:07 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

Thanks, Sven. It seems that on my system (Kubuntu 8.04) one must close the window labeled "Gimp Text Editor" in order to move the text.

I don't see why you would have to close that window in order to move the text. What keeps you from moving the text if the text editor window is open?

In
KolourPaint there is no separate text window, rather, the user opens a text box in a fashion similar to the Select tool, and types directly in it. The dimensions and placement of the text box in KolourPaint can be dynamically resized via the mouse while the text is being edited.

GIMP in trunk already allows on-canvas text editing. This will be in GIMP 2.8.

Sven

Dotan Cohen
2008-11-15 15:04:38 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Thanks, Sven. It seems that on my system (Kubuntu 8.04) one must close the window labeled "Gimp Text Editor" in order to move the text.

I don't see why you would have to close that window in order to move the text. What keeps you from moving the text if the text editor window is open?

After more experimentation, I see that this is the situation: If I click the canvas outside the text field, then the Gimp Text Editor window gets focus and I cannot move the text with the keyboard (nor the mouse, because I was not clicking on the text field). If I click the canvas on the in the text field, then I can move the text field with the arrow keys, but I still cannot drag it with the mouse.

Excellent, thanks! However, the more general question stands: do the Gimp devs take kindly to feature requests regarding the usability of Gimp's tools? Or should I not even bother and waste their time?

Martin Nordholts
2008-11-15 15:08:35 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Dotan Cohen wrote:

Excellent, thanks! However, the more general question stands: do the Gimp devs take kindly to feature requests regarding the usability of Gimp's tools? Or should I not even bother and waste their time?

The developers appreciate high quality usability feedback which should go to the gimp-developer mailing list. We don't like people to file enhancement request to the bug tracker before they have been discussed on the mailing list however.

- Martin

<sablade08@a4skyhawk.org>
2008-11-15 17:00:18 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I thought that was just because I was using the MAC version. Actually, I find I can only move the text with the arrow keys while any use of the mouse closes the box to editing regardless of where one clicks.

On Sat, 15 Nov 2008 16:04:38 +0200, "Dotan Cohen" wrote:

After more experimentation, I see that this is the situation: If I click the canvas outside the text field, then the Gimp Text Editor window gets focus and I cannot move the text with the keyboard (nor the mouse, because I was not clicking on the text field). If I click the canvas on the in the text field, then I can move the text field with the arrow keys, but I still cannot drag it with the mouse.

Dotan Cohen
2008-11-15 18:18:51 UTC (over 15 years ago)

2008/11/15 Martin Nordholts :

Dotan Cohen wrote:

The developers appreciate high quality usability feedback which should go to the gimp-developer mailing list. We don't like people to file enhancement request to the bug tracker before they have been discussed on the mailing list however.

Thanks, Martin. I will consider signing up at that list.

Sven Neumann
2008-11-15 19:56:16 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 16:04 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

After more experimentation, I see that this is the situation: If I click the canvas outside the text field, then the Gimp Text Editor window gets focus and I cannot move the text with the keyboard (nor the mouse, because I was not clicking on the text field).

If you are clicking outside the text, then you are creating a new text layer. Of course the text tool can only move the currently active text.

If I click the canvas on the in the text field, then I can move the text field with the arrow keys, but I still cannot drag it with the mouse.

Why not? Works just fine here.

Sven

Dotan Cohen
2008-11-16 09:02:33 UTC (over 15 years ago)

If I click the canvas on the in the text field, then I can move the text field with the arrow keys, but I still cannot drag it with the mouse.

I really do not know why not. I am on a pretty stock Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 3.5.10) installation, with proprietary ATI video drivers. Anything else that might be affecting this? Should I try to build from Trunk and confirm the issue in a more recent version?

Sven Neumann
2008-11-16 11:03:40 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 10:02 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

I really do not know why not. I am on a pretty stock Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 3.5.10) installation, with proprietary ATI video drivers.

Then your window manager is definitely misbehaving. The text editor dialog is transient to the image window. It is not a modal dialog. If it was modal, that would explain the behavior you are seeing. Perhaps your window manager implements transient dialogs as modal? I suggest that you file a bug report against your window manager.

Sven

Dotan Cohen
2008-11-16 14:44:33 UTC (over 15 years ago)

2008/11/16 Sven Neumann :

Then your window manager is definitely misbehaving. The text editor dialog is transient to the image window. It is not a modal dialog. If it was modal, that would explain the behavior you are seeing. Perhaps your window manager implements transient dialogs as modal? I suggest that you file a bug report against your window manager.

Actually, I have been having problems with Compiz recently. After a reinstall that I plan for the next few weeks I will see if the problem returns and I will file bugs as appropriate. Thanks.

John Coppens
2008-11-16 23:35:26 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 11:03:40 +0100 Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 10:02 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

I really do not know why not. I am on a pretty stock Kubuntu 8.04 (KDE 3.5.10) installation, with proprietary ATI video drivers.

I'm not sure which version of GIMP you are talking about. I have 2.4.7, and even though the text editor isn't modal, I cannot move the text. The cursor remain in the 'edit' shape (double T) even when over the drawing. Clicking on the text doesn't do anything, outside the text starts a new one (as described).

To be able to move the text, I have to select the move tool, which, of course, closes the text tool. I had been considering sending an RFE about this too.

So, I confirm Dotan's report. My WM is xfce 4.4.2, if that influences things. (X11 is xorg 7.4)

John

Dotan Cohen
2008-11-17 16:00:22 UTC (over 15 years ago)

2008/11/17 John Coppens :

So, I confirm Dotan's report. My WM is xfce 4.4.2, if that influences things. (X11 is xorg 7.4)

I should have mentioned:
Gimp 2.4.6
Kubuntu 8.04
KDE 3.5.10

Sven Neumann
2008-11-18 08:36:24 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-11-16 at 20:35 -0200, John Coppens wrote:

Then your window manager is broken in a similar way.

Sven