RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

11 of 11 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout stomfi 24 Oct 06:43
  Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Martin Nordholts 24 Oct 06:45
  Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Sven Neumann 24 Oct 07:53
   Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Mario Valle 24 Oct 07:54
    Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Tobias Jakobs 24 Oct 16:21
     Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Sven Neumann 24 Oct 21:02
      Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Gimpster 25 Oct 19:23
       Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Bettina Karena Lechner 26 Oct 10:25
        Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Gimpster 26 Oct 21:04
         Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout Ciro 17 Dec 19:51
     Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout daviodan 23 Nov 15:52
stomfi
2008-10-24 06:43:32 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

How does one stop the tool box and layers dialogs from covering the image in GIMP 2.6?
In previous versions these windows were able to be underneath a large image on a small screen. The new layout in 2.6 diminishes ease of use.

Martin Nordholts
2008-10-24 06:45:46 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

stomfi wrote:

How does one stop the tool box and layers dialogs from covering the image in GIMP 2.6?
In previous versions these windows were able to be underneath a large image on a small screen. The new layout in 2.6 diminishes ease of use.

Hi!

Edit -> Preferences -> Window Management and set the hints to 'Normal window'.

BR,
Martin

Sven Neumann
2008-10-24 07:53:19 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 14:43 +1000, stomfi wrote:

You can hide/unhide the tools and docks as needed by using the Tab key.

Sven

Mario Valle
2008-10-24 07:54:42 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 14:43 +1000, stomfi wrote:

Sven

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU
https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Yes, but when the focus is on the toolbox window, the Tab key moves between tools, I had to click again on the image window and then use the Tab key.
Is there anything simpler. And yes, I like (almost) the new behaviour. At least you do not lose the toolbox when work full screen. Thanks!
mario

Tobias Jakobs
2008-10-24 16:21:07 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Mario Valle wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

Yes, but when the focus is on the toolbox window, the Tab key moves between tools, I had to click again on the image window and then use the Tab key.

I had this problem too and tried to change the shortcut to F12, like it is in Inkscape, but I was not able to find it in the keyboard settings. Is it at all possible to change the shortcut for this function?

Regards, Tobias

Sven Neumann
2008-10-24 21:02:54 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-10-24 at 16:21 +0200, Tobias Jakobs wrote:

I had this problem too and tried to change the shortcut to F12, like it is in Inkscape, but I was not able to find it in the keyboard settings. Is it at all possible to change the shortcut for this function?

No, it is not a shortcut in that sense. It can't be reconfigured by the user.

Sven

2008-10-25 19:23:06 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Hi,

I had this problem too and tried to change the shortcut to F12, like it is

in

Inkscape, but I was not able to find it in the keyboard settings. Is it at all possible to change the shortcut for this function?

Sven

There seems to be a lot of controversy, and some VERY strong opinions, about how the GIMP user interface should behave. Three popular options are: 1) Keep the Toolbox and Docks next to, and NOT overlapping, the image window. Good for big, wide monitors. The behaviour is then very much like a single-window application.
2) Keep the Toolbox and Docks over the image window. Use Tab key to hide or to show the Toolbox and Docks.
3) Set the mouse to activate and raise windows, and set the Toolbox and Docks to go either above or below the image window. Then a quick movement of the mouse brings up whichever window is desired.

It is a credit to the GIMP designers that it is so easy to customize the interface-- thank you! Users just need to be told about it early in their GIMP experience.

I submit that the best solution may be to add a splash screen when GIMP is first used, explaining those options and how to set them. Or perhaps such an explanation should be put in the Help menu or in the "Tips of the Day". Much better tu customize early-on than to argue over how it "should" be!

Bettina Karena Lechner
2008-10-26 10:25:37 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Von: Sterling
Datum: Sat, 25 Oct 2008 19:23:06 +0200 (CEST) An:
Betreff: [Gimp-user] Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Hi,

in

Inkscape, but I was not able to find it in the keyboard settings. Is it at all possible to change the shortcut for this function?

Sven

There seems to be a lot of controversy, and some VERY strong opinions, about how the GIMP user interface should behave. Three popular options are: 1) Keep the Toolbox and Docks next to, and NOT overlapping, the image window. Good for big, wide monitors. The behaviour is then very much like a single-window application.
2) Keep the Toolbox and Docks over the image window. Use Tab key to hide or to show the Toolbox and Docks.
3) Set the mouse to activate and raise windows, and set the Toolbox and Docks to go either above or below the image window. Then a quick movement of the mouse brings up whichever window is desired.

It is a credit to the GIMP designers that it is so easy to customize the interface-- thank you! Users just need to be told about it early in their GIMP experience.

I submit that the best solution may be to add a splash screen when GIMP is first used, explaining those options and how to set them. Or perhaps such an explanation should be put in the Help menu or in the "Tips of the Day". Much better tu customize early-on than to argue over how it "should" be!

2008-10-26 21:04:25 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Previous message...

How the GIMP user interface should behave... Three popular options are:

1) Keep the Toolbox and Docks next to, and NOT overlapping, the image

window.

Good for big, wide monitors. The behaviour is then very much like a single-window application.

2) Keep the Toolbox and Docks over the image window. Use Tab key to hide

or

to show the Toolbox and Docks.

3) Set the mouse to activate and raise windows, and set the Toolbox and

Docks

to go either above or below the image window. Then a quick movement of

the

mouse brings up whichever window is desired.

Bettina asks...

Hi Sterling,

could you please mention on which platforms your these options work? E.g.number 2. don't works on Mac neither on Windows XP (in my case).

thank you tina

Reply to Bettina...

Hello Tina,

Number 1. should be work on any platform, since the windows never need to overlap. You might want to adjust the GIMP settings under "Edit-Preferences-Image Windows-Zoom and Resize Behaviour" to kep the imag window where you want it.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- Number 2. takes more explanation, even though it is the default behaviour in GIMP 2.6.

First, look at the options in "Edit-Preferences-Windows Management-Hint for the toolbox/Hint for other docks". Each 'hint' box has three options:

Normal Window-- Means the toolbox or dock can be over or under the image window and shows up in the Windows 'Taskbar' (in other operating systems may be called 'Panel' or 'Dock').

Utility Window-- Toolbox/dock stays over the image window and does not appear in the taskbar.

Keep On Top-- Toolbox/dock stays over image window and does appear in the taskbar.

GIMP 2.6 by default has the toolbox and docks set to be Utility Windows. The Tab key's function of showing or hiding the toolbox and docks is built into GIMP and cannot be changed without going into the source code. A regular GIMP user cannot change it. The problem Mario pointed out in an earlier post is that once the toolbox has got 'focus', the Tab key switches from one tool to the next. You have to click-on the image window or the dock to take the focus away from the toolbox for the tab key to act like we want it to, and hide the toolbox and docks.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- Number 3. has the toolbox and docks set to be Normal Windows.

Movement of the mouse is used to activate and raise the desired window. In Ubuntu 8.04 that mouse behaviour is set under "System-Preferences-Windows". In Windows XP it is set in TweakUI under a tab labelled 'Mouse'. If you do not already have TweakUI, it is a free download from Microsoft. My version shows up as a Control Panel item. I think the newer version shows up in your Programs list.
I do not know how to do these things on a Mac. Anyone else know?

If you use the mouse this way, you need to watch out for two things: 1) Keep the delay long enough so that you can move the mouse to a newly opened window without covering that window with some previous one. 2) Only open about half a dozen windows at once. If you have too many, they will cover each other and make it difficult to find the ones underneath. If you have multiple desktops (like Linux OS's have) use one desktop for GIMP and run other stuff elsewhere.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- I know this was a long explanation, but I hope it was also useful.

2008-11-23 15:52:50 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 7:54 AM, Mario Valle wrote:

Sven Neumann wrote:

in

Regards, Tobias

No, it is not a shortcut in that sense. It can't be >reconfigured by the

user.
Is it in version 2.6.3, at all possible to change the shortcut for this function?
daviodan

2008-12-17 19:51:21 UTC (over 15 years ago)
postings

Gimp 2.6 Desktop layout

Previous message...

How the GIMP user interface should behave... Three popular options are:

1) Keep the Toolbox and Docks next to, and NOT overlapping, the image

window.

Good for big, wide monitors. The behaviour is then very much like a single-window application.

2) Keep the Toolbox and Docks over the image window. Use Tab key to hide

or

to show the Toolbox and Docks.

3) Set the mouse to activate and raise windows, and set the Toolbox and

Docks

to go either above or below the image window. Then a quick movement of

the

mouse brings up whichever window is desired.

Bettina asks...

Hi Sterling,

could you please mention on which platforms your these options work? E.g.number 2. don't works on Mac neither on Windows XP (in my case).

thank you tina

Reply to Bettina...

Hello Tina,

Number 1. should be work on any platform, since the windows never need to overlap. You might want to adjust the GIMP settings under "Edit-Preferences-Image Windows-Zoom and Resize Behaviour" to kep the imag window where you want it.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- Number 2. takes more explanation, even though it is the default behaviour

in

GIMP 2.6.

First, look at the options in "Edit-Preferences-Windows Management-Hint for the toolbox/Hint for other docks". Each 'hint' box has three options:

Normal Window-- Means the toolbox or dock can be over or under the image window and shows up in the Windows 'Taskbar' (in other operating systems

may

be called 'Panel' or 'Dock').

Utility Window-- Toolbox/dock stays over the image window and does not appear in the taskbar.

Keep On Top-- Toolbox/dock stays over image window and does appear in

the

taskbar.

GIMP 2.6 by default has the toolbox and docks set to be Utility Windows.

The

Tab key's function of showing or hiding the toolbox and docks is built into GIMP and cannot be changed without going into the source code. A regular

GIMP

user cannot change it. The problem Mario pointed out in an earlier post is that once the toolbox has got 'focus', the Tab key switches from one tool

to

the next. You have to click-on the image window or the dock to take the

focus

away from the toolbox for the tab key to act like we want it to, and hide

the

toolbox and docks.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- Number 3. has the toolbox and docks set to be Normal Windows.

Movement of the mouse is used to activate and raise the desired window. In Ubuntu 8.04 that mouse behaviour is set under "System-Preferences-Windows".

In

Windows XP it is set in TweakUI under a tab labelled 'Mouse'. If you do not already have TweakUI, it is a free download from Microsoft. My version

shows

up as a Control Panel item. I think the newer version shows up in your Programs list.
I do not know how to do these things on a Mac. Anyone else know?

If you use the mouse this way, you need to watch out for two things: 1)

Keep

the delay long enough so that you can move the mouse to a newly opened

window

without covering that window with some previous one. 2) Only open about half

a

dozen windows at once. If you have too many, they will cover each other and make it difficult to find the ones underneath. If you have multiple

desktops

(like Linux OS's have) use one desktop for GIMP and run other stuff elsewhere.
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- I know this was a long explanation, but I hope it was also useful.

I am using Autohotkey to fix this behaviour (and a lot of other custom tasks).

What the code below does is to map the tab key to set the focus on the main window before actually "tabbing".

The drawback is that in some windows like "New image", tab hides it too, so I have to hit Ctrl-tab instead if I want to move between fields.

This is not a true fix (it requires *Autohotkey*), but does the job.

; BEGIN CODE

SetTitleMatchMode, 2 SetKeyDelay, 0

#IfWinActive, ahk_class gdkWindowToplevel {
tab::
ControlFocus, gdkWindowChild2, GNU Image Manipulation Program ControlFocus, gdkWindowChild2, GIMP send, {tab}
return
}
; END CODE