RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

The toolbox Wilber problem

This discussion is connected to the gimp-developer-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

25 of 26 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

The toolbox Wilber problem Martin Nordholts 03 Oct 07:58
  The toolbox Wilber problem Alexander Rabtchevich 03 Oct 08:16
  The toolbox Wilber problem Alexia Death 03 Oct 08:25
  The toolbox Wilber problem Sven Neumann 03 Oct 14:06
   The toolbox Wilber problem Stephan Hegel 04 Oct 05:16
  The toolbox Wilber problem Patrick Horgan 03 Oct 20:13
   The toolbox Wilber problem Tobias Jakobs 03 Oct 20:28
  The toolbox Wilber problem Liam R E Quin 04 Oct 23:15
The toolbox Wilber problem Michael Grosberg 03 Oct 23:22
The toolbox Wilber problem Flávio Pontes 04 Oct 17:13
  The toolbox Wilber problem William Steidtmann 04 Oct 17:57
   The toolbox Wilber problem Sven Neumann 04 Oct 18:06
    The toolbox Wilber problem Aurore D. 04 Oct 19:14
    The toolbox Wilber problem Alastair M. Robinson 04 Oct 19:49
     The toolbox Wilber problem Sven Neumann 04 Oct 22:44
      The toolbox Wilber problem Alastair M. Robinson 05 Oct 01:07
    The toolbox Wilber problem William Steidtmann 04 Oct 21:04
     The toolbox Wilber problem Sven Neumann 04 Oct 22:25
mailman.218456.1223136424.1... 07 Oct 20:26
  The toolbox Wilber problem Alchemie foto\\grafiche 04 Oct 18:38
   The toolbox Wilber problem Flávio Pontes 05 Oct 01:52
    The toolbox Wilber problem peter sikking 05 Oct 18:10
     The toolbox Wilber problem Flávio Pontes 05 Oct 18:43
     The toolbox Wilber problem Sven Neumann 05 Oct 20:25
      The toolbox Wilber problem peter sikking 05 Oct 21:35
   The toolbox Wilber problem Flávio Pontes 05 Oct 03:39
Martin Nordholts
2008-10-03 07:58:29 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi

We can happily conclude that the GIMP 2.6 release overall has been very well received! So far it also seems to be a very stable release, at least for being a dot-zero.

After spending quite some time mostly in our own #gimp and the freenode #gimp answering questions, I can see two questions that are particularly frequently asked.

A. How do I get the new window management to work on Windows, and B. How can I remove the toolbox Wilber?

Regarding question A, there is not much we can do except waiting for someone to improve this in the Windows GTK+ backend.

Regarding question B however, I believe we need to do something. It doesn't seem as if people easily make the association we wanted them to make: where you see Wilber, you can drop an image to open it. (Some people doesn't even see that it is Wilber, although IMO it is pretty obvious.) I see two options:

1. Hide the toolbox Wilber by default, or 2. Add a UI in the Preferences to toggle toolbox Wilber on and off.

When Wilber was added in the toolbox in the development version my opinion was that he should not be in the Toolbox, and I still have that standpoint. In other words, I think we should go for option 1 for GIMP 2.6.1.

What are peoples thoughts here?

BR, Martin

Alexander Rabtchevich
2008-10-03 08:16:41 UTC (over 15 years ago)

+1 to hide Wilber via preferences. It was my initial thought when I saw him for the first time.

With respect Alexander Rabtchevich

Alexia Death
2008-10-03 08:25:01 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Friday 03 October 2008 08:58:29 Martin Nordholts wrote:

1. Hide the toolbox Wilber by default, or 2. Add a UI in the Preferences to toggle toolbox Wilber on and off.

For me it is not a drop target, but a little branding plaque and as such quite nice, but should be fixed to not get in the way.

When it was added I did not recognize Wilber either tho, mainly because I was using single row toolbox at the time. Ive gotten used to him since tho so on Linux I'm no longer bothered by his presence.

On Windows however the bar is wider than the menu used to be and also since on windows the utility window hints don't work and toolbox cannot be even made a two-column one, 4 is minimum, it is a bother. For anybody trying to use the single row stretched toolbox is going to be slightly bothered by it as well. It should stay against the shorter edge of the toolbox...

So, to sum it up, it is a nice product plaque and as such could IMHO stay if its fixed to play nice ... and perhaps allow users to hide it with a single click...

-- Alexia

Sven Neumann
2008-10-03 14:06:27 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 07:58 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:

Regarding question B however, I believe we need to do something. It doesn't seem as if people easily make the association we wanted them to make: where you see Wilber, you can drop an image to open it. (Some people doesn't even see that it is Wilber, although IMO it is pretty obvious.) I see two options:

When Wilber was added in the toolbox in the development version my opinion was that he should not be in the Toolbox, and I still have that standpoint. In other words, I think we should go for option 1 for GIMP 2.6.1.

No way. This would be a UI and string change and as such it is completely unacceptable for a stable release. If it would be absolutely necessary in order to fix a severe bug, that would be something different. But this is such a no-issue that it is definitely not worth it.

Apart from that, we, the developers and the UI team, decided that the graphics should be there. I don't see why we should change our mind now. There are always a few people complaining. There's nothing you can do about that.

Sven

Patrick Horgan
2008-10-03 20:13:35 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Martin Nordholts wrote:

~~~%< snip! >%~~~~~~~~~~~

He's cute there, but doesn't add any functionality, no? I don't see any reason for him to go, but wouldn't be upset.

Patrick

Tobias Jakobs
2008-10-03 20:28:00 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Am Freitag, den 03.10.2008, 11:13 -0700 schrieb Patrick Horgan:

Martin Nordholts wrote:

He's cute there, but doesn't add any functionality, no?

He is there, to indicate that the toolbox is an drop area for images. Like the Wilbert in the empty window.

Regards, Tobias

Michael Grosberg
2008-10-03 23:22:18 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Martin Nordholts gmail.com> writes:

After spending quite some time mostly in our own #gimp and the freenode #gimp answering questions, I can see two questions that are particularly frequently asked.

A. How do I get the new window management to work on Windows, and B. How can I remove the toolbox Wilber?

Regarding question A, there is not much we can do except waiting for someone to improve this in the Windows GTK+ backend.

Not quite true - you could put a call for volunteers on the website and the mailing list specifically for that.

Stephan Hegel
2008-10-04 05:16:02 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 07:58 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote:

No way. This would be a UI and string change and as such it is completely unacceptable for a stable release. If it would be absolutely necessary in order to fix a severe bug, that would be something different. But this is such a no-issue that it is definitely not worth it.

Apart from that, we, the developers and the UI team, decided that the graphics should be there. I don't see why we should change our mind now.

Might be, just because users are asking for it ?

With all respect, but your intention to indicate a drop down area with this UI element failed for me. Coming from 2.4.x:

1st. On a first glance I thought it was a left-over from the removed pull-down menus.
2nd. I did not recognize at all that it was Wilber. 3rd. Therefore I did not recognize its purpose intuitively.

Moreover, my use case is to work with a 2 window layout: Toolbox with tools, tool options and layers/channels/path/undo etc. integrated in one single, vertical oriented window on the left, similar like that one: http://www.mail-archive.com/gimp-developer%40lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/msg16030.html resp.
http://www.ohweb.com.ar/screenshots/one-window-layout.png and the image window to its right. In my case the enlarged drop-down area takes space away I could use better, e.g. for one more layer.

I would support Martin's options #2 above with the default "on". Users who don't need or want it like me can turn it off. The feature to drop a new image onto the toolbox still remains, even in this case.

There are always a few people complaining. There's nothing you can do about that.

I don't see this as a complaint rather than a critical review of a new UI design element incl. proposals how to fit users' needs.

Rgds, Stephan.

Flávio Pontes
2008-10-04 17:13:31 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Tobias, I apologize for replying to your personal address. Here's to the list.

IMHO it is just a waste of space because it is not a good indicator for a drop target. Not one of the ppl I showed it - all of them designers - recognized it as a drop target and, frankly, the image in there is simply wrong. If we need to make it recognizable as a drop target, we need to make it a drop target icon, that's all. A Wilber background image tha doesn't even show up entirely is a poor indicator. It looks more as a - ugly, but that's debatable - decoration than anything else.

I'm not saying that we shouldn't have a drop target in the toolbox window, but that it should be more obvious and take less space from the tools that are the main function of the window.

Regards,

Flávio.

Am Freitag, den 03.10.2008, 11:13 -0700 schrieb Patrick Horgan:

Martin Nordholts wrote:

He's cute there, but doesn't add any functionality, no?

He is there, to indicate that the toolbox is an drop area for images. Like the Wilbert in the empty window.

Regards, Tobias

William Steidtmann
2008-10-04 17:57:28 UTC (over 15 years ago)

I also think that the toolbox Wilber is an inefficient use of space, so here is an idea (my apologies if this has already been discussed/thought of): Right now there are 3 status items in Preferences->Toolbox->Appearance, that when checked appear below the toolbox tool icons. Add a 4th status item choice which would appear as a drop box/icon with Wilber's face in it. Those who like having it can check it on, and those who feel that any/all 4 items are wasted space can turn all 4 off. The space above the toolbox is eliminated.

Bill

Sven Neumann
2008-10-04 18:06:44 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

if you don't like it, or it doesn't fit your screen layout, then why don't you just turn it off? There's a gimprc option for this and it is documented. There is no UI for it, but that should be OK. There are quite a few options that don't have a UI, simply because they are not considered important enough to clutter the preferences dialog (which is still way too cluttered).

Sven

Alchemie foto\\grafiche
2008-10-04 18:38:48 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Fl?vio Pontes Wrote

is not a good

indicator for
a drop target. Not one of the ppl I showed it - all of them designers -
recognized it as a drop target and, frankly, the image in there is
simply wrong. If we need to make it recognizable as a drop target, we
need to make it a drop target icon, that's all

do you have a example for a "recognizable drop target "?

--- Sab 4/10/08, gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU ha scritto:

Da: gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Oggetto: Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 73, Issue 10 A: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Data: Sabato 4 ottobre 2008, 18:07
Send Gimp-developer mailing list submissions to gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-developer-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Gimp-developer digest..."

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Gimp 2.6. Segfault (Stephan Hegel) 2. Re: Automatically save curves file (Kent Tenney) 3. Re: Automatically save curves file (David Gowers) 4. Re: Automatically save curves file (Kent Tenney) 5. Re: The toolbox Wilber problem (Fl?vio Pontes) 6. Re: The toolbox Wilber problem (William Steidtmann) 7. Re: The toolbox Wilber problem (Sven Neumann)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1 Date: Sat, 04 Oct 2008 09:41:41 +0200 From: Stephan Hegel
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.6. Segfault To: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 18:15 +0200, Stephan Hegel

wrote:

Gimp-2.6 throws a segfault for me.

It would help a lot if you could file a bug report for

this. Thanks.
You're welcome: #554966.

Rgds, Stephan.

------------------------------

Message: 2 Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 06:17:16 -0500 From: "Kent Tenney"
Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Automatically save curves file
To: saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com Cc: Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:01 PM, wrote:

Quoting Kent Tenney :

will there be provisions to apply a saved curve to

an image without the

gui?

If you have the GIMP Animation Package installed, you

will find a plug-in

named 'plug-in-wr-curves' which permits

application of a curves file.

I don't have GAP installed.

I've installed Gimp 2.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 using .deb's from
http://www.getdeb.net/app/Gimp

will apt-get install gimp-gap

do what I want? or is there more to it?
(I don't want to try and see for fear of breaking things)

Thanks,
Kent

plug-in-wr-curves

GIMP Plug-in

/Video/Layer/Colors/

Wrapper for GIMP Curves Tool call based on Curves

file

Parameters

run-mode INT32 Interactive, non-interactive image IMAGE Input image drawable DRAWABLE Input drawable (must be a

layer)

filename STRING Name of a GIMP curves file

(saved by the Curves

Tool)

Return Values

the-drawable DRAWABLE the processed layer

Additional Information

This Plugin loads a # GIMP Curves File, that was

saved by

the GIMP 2.0pre1 Curves Tool then calculates the

curves

(256 points foreach channel val,r,g,b,a) and calls

the

Curve Tool via PDB interface with the calculated

curve

points It also stores the points, and offers a GIMP_RUN_WITH_LAST_VALUES Interface and an Iterator Procedure for animated calls of the Curves Tool with varying values.

Author: Wolfgang Hofer (hof@gimp.org)

Date: 2.4.1; 2008/01/30

Copyright: Wolfgang Hofer

Message: 3 Date: Sat, 4 Oct 2008 22:36:03 +0930 From: "David Gowers"
To: "Kent Tenney"
Cc: Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8

Hi Kent,

On Sat, Oct 4, 2008 at 8:47 PM, Kent Tenney wrote:

On Fri, Oct 3, 2008 at 7:01 PM,
wrote:

Quoting Kent Tenney :

will there be provisions to apply a saved

curve to an image without the

gui?

If you have the GIMP Animation Package installed,

you will find a plug-in

I've installed Gimp 2.6 on Ubuntu 8.04 using

.deb's from

do what I want?

AFAIK yes.

or is there more to it?
(I don't want to try and see for fear of breaking

things)
There should be nothing to break -- GIMP-GAP is only a suite of
plugins, if you install it and find it doesn't work, it's easy enough
to remove it using Synaptic.

Thanks,
Kent

HTH,
David

Aurore D.
2008-10-04 19:14:31 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

if you don't like it, or it doesn't fit your screen layout, then why don't you just turn it off? There's a gimprc option for this and it is documented.

I thought this wasn't going to be done at all in 2.6, and the previous part of this thread also made me think it still wasn't possible. I'm happy to see I was wrong.
Many many thanks for adding that option!!

Alastair M. Robinson
2008-10-04 19:49:32 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

if you don't like it, or it doesn't fit your screen layout, then why don't you just turn it off? There's a gimprc option for this and it is documented.

Is it documented anywhere other than the gimprc file itself (and now this mailing list too!)? In other words, is it "discoverable"? As a long time user I'd sooner not waste that screen space either, but it would never have dawned on me to go poking around in gimprc if I hadn't just read your comment. I'm not sure I'd have figured out that the Wilber was supposed to represent a drop target, either - though the tooltip is admittedly a bit of a hint! :)

There is no UI for it, but that should be OK. There are quite a few options that don't have a UI, simply because they are not considered important enough to clutter the preferences dialog (which is still way too cluttered).

As far as I can tell, the toolbox doesn't currently respond to right-clicks at all, so perhaps it's worth considering a right-click menu with checkboxes to replace (or just complement) the contents of the Preferences dialog's "toolbox" page. That's how many programs, from the Windows taskbar, to web browsers, to OpenOffice.org, allow the visibility of optional UI elements to be set, so would probably be more in line with user expectations than checkboxes in an already-crowded dialog.

All the best, --
Alastair M. Robinson

William Steidtmann
2008-10-04 21:04:03 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Thanks for the info regarding this gimprc option. I disagree that the Appearance section of Preferences->Toolbox is cluttered, given that there are only 3 items there. If I were to write a patch and send it to you, to add the (toobox-wilber [yes|no]) gimprc option to that section of Preferences, is this a feature you would consider adding?

Bill

Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

if you don't like it, or it doesn't fit your screen layout, then why don't you just turn it off? There's a gimprc option for this and it is documented. There is no UI for it, but that should be OK. There are quite a few options that don't have a UI, simply because they are not considered important enough to clutter the preferences dialog (which is still way too cluttered).

Sven

Sven Neumann
2008-10-04 22:25:40 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Sat, 2008-10-04 at 14:04 -0500, William Steidtmann wrote:

Thanks for the info regarding this gimprc option. I disagree that the Appearance section of Preferences->Toolbox is cluttered, given that there are only 3 items there. If I were to write a patch and send it to you, to add the (toobox-wilber [yes|no]) gimprc option to that section of Preferences, is this a feature you would consider adding?

No, I could easily do that myself. But as already explained in this thread, we don't change the UI and introduce new translatable strings in a stable branch unless this is absolutely necessary to fix a severe bug.

Sven

Sven Neumann
2008-10-04 22:44:15 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

don't you guys get it? We want that graphics to stay and we don't want to allow users to turn it off. The UI team decided that it is important and thus it will stay. The only reason that I added a gimprc option to disable it was because the graphics doesn't play nicely with a horizontal toolbox layout. As soon as that has been addressed, we should consider to remove that gimprc option again.

We, the developers, are not even in the position to remove this graphics. We decided that the user interface decisions are made by the UI team. We can't just start to ignore their advice, only because a handful of users don't like a particular change.

Sven

Liam R E Quin
2008-10-04 23:15:45 UTC (over 15 years ago)

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 07:58 +0200, Martin Nordholts wrote: [...]

B. How can I remove the toolbox Wilber?

The best answer is, "you don't want to remove it because it's useful. You can drop images there."

Of course, you could always drop onto the toolbox before.

I wonder if the Adobe people get requests to hide the Adobe branding on their pallettes?

I do think gtk+ should provide a UI element that's a drag source and/or drag target; the experiments on these done for the open look ui came out really well.

I'd also like to be able to right-click ("dingus-click") on Wilber and get a pop-up menu.

Liam

Alastair M. Robinson
2008-10-05 01:07:30 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

don't you guys get it?

I get it - I'm just disappointed by it.

I shall refrain from beating the dead horse any further.

All the best, --
Alastair M. Robinson

Flávio Pontes
2008-10-05 01:52:30 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Well, KGet has one, and it's definitely recognizable...

Anyway. The real problem isn't Wilber in the toolbox, it's justa another inconsistency.
The real problem are all the inconsistencies that have gone into a STABLE release. A release that was supposed to solve a lot of UI problems, but looks like an alpha quality release from the UI viewpoint.

The most glaring example I can see right now is the supposed transformation of the Toolbox and the dockable dialogs in utility windows. It actually makes the situation worse. Now, if I minimize the "main" window, I can't minimize the other ones. Isn't it great? I really hope it's a bug, because if it isn't and it passed the almighty UI Team, then I suggest to get another one, because that sucks really bad.

I'll continue to use GIMP anyway. I really like to use free software and the superior scriptability of GIMP, but we should begin to learn from the other projects and tackle the real problem in GIMP. It's not the lack of capabilities, it's not what under the hood. It's the interface.

Don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the hard work all the developers have been doing, but it's very frustrating when you are trying to advocate a great free program and get bitten by the most interested party.

Best regards to everyone.

Flávio.

Em Sáb, 2008-10-04 às 16:38 +0000, Alchemie foto\grafiche escreveu:

Fl?vio Pontes Wrote

is not a good

indicator for

Da: gimp-developer-request@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Oggetto: Gimp-developer Digest, Vol 73, Issue 10 A: gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU Data: Sabato 4 ottobre 2008, 18:07
Send Gimp-developer mailing list submissions to gimp-developer@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit https://lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU/mailman/listinfo/gimp-developer or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to

You can reach the person managing the list at gimp-developer-owner@lists.XCF.Berkeley.EDU

Today's Topics:

1. Re: Gimp 2.6. Segfault (Stephan Hegel) 2. Re: Automatically save curves file (Kent Tenney) 3. Re: Automatically save curves file (David Gowers) 4. Re: Automatically save curves file (Kent Tenney) 5. Re: The toolbox Wilber problem (Fl?vio Pontes) 6. Re: The toolbox Wilber problem (William Steidtmann) 7. Re: The toolbox Wilber problem (Sven Neumann)

Subject: Re: [Gimp-developer] Gimp 2.6. Segfault To: gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

wrote:

this. Thanks.

Rgds, Stephan.

To: saulgoode@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com Cc: Gimp-developer@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Message-ID:

Quoting Kent Tenney :

an image without the

gui?

will find a plug-in

Thanks,
Kent

plug-in-wr-curves

GIMP Plug-in

/Video/Layer/Colors/

file

Parameters

run-mode INT32 Interactive, non-interactive image IMAGE Input image drawable DRAWABLE Input drawable (must be a

layer)

(saved by the Curves

Tool)

Return Values

Additional Information

saved by

curves

the

curve

points It also stores the points, and offers a GIMP_RUN_WITH_LAST_VALUES Interface and an Iterator Procedure for animated calls of the Curves Tool with varying values.

Hi Kent,

wrote:

Quoting Kent Tenney :

gui?

you will find a plug-in

.deb's from

do what I want?

AFAIK yes.

or is there more to it?

things)

Thanks,
Kent

HTH,
David

Flávio Pontes
2008-10-05 03:39:43 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Ok.

Apologies to the UI team. I just took a look at the UI wiki and they seem to tackle all my complaints.
I was just frustrated. Sorry for the totally unwarranted rant of the earlier message.

But we still need a better image for the drop target in the toolbox. hehe

Regards,

Flávio.

Em Sáb, 2008-10-04 às 16:38 +0000, Alchemie foto\grafiche escreveu:

Fl?vio Pontes Wrote

is not a good

indicator for

Today's Topics:

Hi,

Sven Neumann wrote:

wrote:

this. Thanks.

Rgds, Stephan.

Quoting Kent Tenney :

an image without the

gui?

will find a plug-in

Thanks,
Kent

plug-in-wr-curves

GIMP Plug-in

/Video/Layer/Colors/

file

Parameters

layer)

(saved by the Curves

Tool)

Return Values

Additional Information

saved by

curves

the

curve

Hi Kent,

wrote:

Quoting Kent Tenney :

gui?

you will find a plug-in

.deb's from

do what I want?

AFAIK yes.

or is there more to it?

things)

Thanks,
Kent

HTH,
David

peter sikking
2008-10-05 18:10:45 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Flávio Pontes wrote:

The real problem are all the inconsistencies that have gone into a STABLE release. A release that was supposed to solve a lot of UI problems, but looks like an alpha quality release from the UI viewpoint.

2.6 was to be a gegl-under-the-hood-only version, but we did some UI renovation as well.

The most glaring example I can see right now is the supposed transformation of the Toolbox and the dockable dialogs in utility windows. It actually makes the situation worse. Now, if I minimize the "main" window, I can't minimize the other ones. Isn't it great? I really hope it's a bug[...]

there we could tighten up things, yeah. but I fear the fixes may have to be in gtk. minimising all image windows, or the no-image-window, should minimise the whole app, meaning the toolbox and inspectors get hidden.

then there are a couple of dozen window managers out there that do not implements the display hints as recommended...

anyway, UI changes always provoke reaction(ary uproar). that is why I'll give it a month to see if it still hurts then. meanwhile I will take all this energy to see if we can do even better than this.

with regards to horizontal toolbox layouts (the GIMP UI team says: vertical works definitely better, btw...), if we can find out that there are only 1 or 2 rows of icons in the toolbox, we could hide wilber automatically for these cases.

--ps

founder + principal interaction architect man + machine interface works

http://mmiworks.net/blog : on interaction architecture

Flávio Pontes
2008-10-05 18:43:10 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Peter,

After I wrote the message I decided to take a look at the UI wiki and what I found there is basically what I was thinking could be improved in the UI.

It finally sank that it's just too early to see everything solved. Heck the analysis stage isn't complete yet and here I am complaining about a stupid thing. Anyway. I began to use the program more and I came to appreciate a lot of small tweaks, like the better brush dynamics and even the wilber area in the toolbox, although I still think we can do better.

Sorry for the complaints. As I said, I got frustrated because I am the only advocate for free software at work and GIMP is against a program that's so mature, it's really difficult to make a case, even pointing out it's unique capabilities.

My apologies again. Now I see that we couldn't ask for a better UI team.

Best regards,

Flávio.

Em Dom, 2008-10-05 às 18:10 +0200, peter sikking escreveu:

Flávio Pontes wrote:

2.6 was to be a gegl-under-the-hood-only version, but we did some UI renovation as well.

The most glaring example I can see right now is the supposed transformation of the Toolbox and the dockable dialogs in utility windows. It actually makes the situation worse. Now, if I minimize the "main" window, I can't minimize the other ones. Isn't it great? I really hope it's a bug[...]

there we could tighten up things, yeah. but I fear the fixes may have to be in gtk. minimising all image windows, or the no-image-window, should minimise the whole app, meaning the toolbox and inspectors get hidden.

then there are a couple of dozen window managers out there that do not implements the display hints as recommended...

anyway, UI changes always provoke reaction(ary uproar). that is why I'll give it a month to see if it still hurts then. meanwhile I will take all this energy to see if we can do even better than this.

with regards to horizontal toolbox layouts (the GIMP UI team says: vertical works definitely better, btw...), if we can find out that there are only 1 or 2 rows of icons in the toolbox, we could hide wilber automatically for these cases.

--ps

Sven Neumann
2008-10-05 20:25:19 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Hi,

On Sun, 2008-10-05 at 18:10 +0200, peter sikking wrote:

That could easily be done in GIMP. At least I think that it should be easy to implement that. Do you suggest that we try to do that for 2.8?

Sven

peter sikking
2008-10-05 21:35:20 UTC (over 15 years ago)

Sven wrote:

peter sikking wrote:

That could easily be done in GIMP. At least I think that it should be easy to implement that. Do you suggest that we try to do that for 2.8?

I humbly suggest that if there is no UI/string change involved, we 'get that right' for 2.6.2.

also collect some feedback for linux/win/mac on the window manager hint settings and adapt the defaults from that.

...or at least a page on gimp.org with recommended settings for funny window managers.

--ps