RSS/Atom feed Twitter

72 PPI.... Not DPI

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

72 PPI.... Not DPI Mandalascope 14 Jul 00:42
  72 PPI.... Not DPI Mandalascope 14 Jul 00:51
2022-07-14 00:42:29 UTC (2 months ago)
postings
contact

72 PPI.... Not DPI

OK, I am trying to find an answer to this question and every search I've tried sends me to stuff about DPI rather than PPI.

When I make a new PNG image in GIMP, my default settings are 10,000 x 10,000 px at 600 PPI. However, if I open the same image after exporting it, it always comes up as 72 PPI (NOT DPI) How do I fix this so my images are exporting at the resolution I gave them? Is this an issue with the compression on PNG files? Do I need to drop it back from the default 9? If it helps, I'm running GIMP version 2.10.18 Flatpack from the Linux software repository. OS is the newest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon.

I have been using GIMP for several years but only noticed this happening recently. I really didn't pay much attention until now because I am trying to sell some of my stuff via Redbubble and I want it to be the best quality it can be.

2022-07-14 00:51:09 UTC (2 months ago)
postings
contact

72 PPI.... Not DPI

OK, I am trying to find an answer to this question and every search I've tried sends me to stuff about DPI rather than PPI.

When I make a new PNG image in GIMP, my default settings are 10,000 x 10,000 px at 600 PPI. However, if I open the same image after exporting it, it always comes up as 72 PPI (NOT DPI) How do I fix this so my images are exporting at the resolution I gave them? Is this an issue with the compression on PNG files? Do I need to drop it back from the default 9? If it helps, I'm running GIMP version 2.10.18 Flatpack from the Linux software repository. OS is the newest version of Linux Mint Cinnamon.

I have been using GIMP for several years but only noticed this happening recently. I really didn't pay much attention until now because I am trying to sell some of my stuff via Redbubble and I want it to be the best quality it can be.

Holy Rembrandt, Batman.... Never mind. I figured out the answer 5 minutes after posting this. I'm an idiot and didn't have the "save resolution" box checked when exporting.