RSS/Atom feed Twitter

Monoprice 160-HA60-990 Driver 5.02 Compatibility Mode Installation for Windows 10

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

2022-04-11 11:15:41 UTC (about 1 month ago)
postings
contact

Monoprice 160-HA60-990 Driver 5.02 Compatibility Mode Installation for Windows 10

Hi, I thought I'd post my method of installing the version 5.02 driver for my older Monoprice tablet in Windows 10. I have pressure sensitivity working and am able to configure the tablet via it's control panel.

I am now approaching this in a completely different way to get the 2013 version 5.02 Monoprice diver designed for this tablet working in Windows 10.

The driver is available here https://downloads.monoprice.com/files/drivers/Tablet_Driver_5.02_D20130322_D20130225.zip

This is the 2013 driver v5.02 for Windows 7 / Vista / XP.

The installer SETUP.EXE has to be run in compatibility mode for Windows XP SP 2 and as an administrator. Right click on the SETUP.EXE FILE, choose properties, and use the compatibility tab to set the values, be sure to check run as administrator. Run the installer.

After installation the user is prompted to reboot. Plug the tablet in. Allow Windows to do it's thing.

The tablet control panel cant be accessed in the usual way from the control panel menu, instead navigate to C:\Program Files (x86)\TABLET; the file is Plaunch.exe.

This file has to have its settings changed to compatibility mode, set to Windows XP sp3 and as an administrator. Right click on the file, choose properties, and use the compatibility tab to adjust the settings. This file can then be run by double clicking

With the control panel open you can check that the pressure sensitivity is working within this control panel before you attempt to use GIMP or other software.

Select the pressure tab. I have found the pen pressure then works. I also was able to assign the programmable functions at the top of the tablet to whatever shortcuts I wanted, e.g. switching out IE for Firefox.

Testing with Software:

I tested Krita 64 bit, Artweaver Free 7, and 32 bit GIMP 2.6.12 (32 bit) all of which work properly with pen pressure.

I installed Gimp 2.10 first, then Gimp 2.6.12 to its own directory.

Unfortunately GIMP 2.10 did not work properly; pressing the pen brought up context menus. I have some further testing to do in order to troubleshoot this problem. The pen will work like a mouse if the pen is disabled in the preferences. This is sort of ok for drawing but pressure sensitivity is sorely missed.

This seems to be a better method than installing a driver for an incompatible device.

Thoughts anyone?

2022-04-12 15:10:23 UTC (about 1 month ago)
postings
contact

By the way, I realize that this is an old tablet with much lower resolution in terms of lines per inch than any of the new products. I've had this quite a while and used it with Windows (up to XP/Vista) and with Ubuntu. I'd been using it without the pressure sensitivity on Windows 10 and thought, you know, I should give this another try. I'd attempted to use some later drivers for tablets that looked similar but without much luck getting the pressure sensitivity working.

So far so good, apart from GIMP 2.8 and 2.10 it works very nicely in GIMP 2.6 (32 Bit version) and other programs I have with pressure sensitivity. In GIMP 2.8 and 2.10 I have to disable the tablet in GIMP's preferences and just use it if it were a mouse, albeit you can actually draw. The pen is better than, as a friend of mine put it, drawing with a bar of soap. ;) Pleasing enough; like a felt tip marker.

I may tinker with some of the software that came with the tablet and see if they work in compatibility mode.