RSS/Atom feed Twitter

Rotating Text Grays It Out

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Rotating Text Grays It Out Melvis 11 Jan 19:16
  Rotating Text Grays It Out rich404 12 Jan 12:39
   Rotating Text Grays It Out Melvis 14 Jan 23:59
2022-01-11 19:16:07 UTC (6 months ago)
postings
contact

I'm trying to rotate a line of text but when I do, it "grays" it out. In other words, if I select black for the text, it looks dark and sharp but when I rotate it, it becomes gray and fuzzy. Is there a trick to this, or is that just the way Gimp works?

Thanks...

2022-01-12 12:39:54 UTC (5 months ago)
postings

I'm trying to rotate a line of text but when I do, it "grays" it out. In other words, if I select black for the text, it looks dark and sharp but when I rotate it, it becomes gray and fuzzy. Is there a trick to this, or is that just the way Gimp works?

Thanks...

It will, typically for small text. Rotating involves interpolation and anti-aliasing, so what was a solid black pixel becomes partial and anti-aliased.

Various ways to reinforce the rotated text, easiest is duplicate the rotated layer and then merge down.

16 pixel size text, 20 second example: https://i.imgur.com/F4SijhS.mp4

2022-01-14 23:59:54 UTC (5 months ago)
postings
contact

It will, typically for small text. Rotating involves interpolation and anti-aliasing, so what was a solid black pixel becomes partial and anti-aliased.

Various ways to reinforce the rotated text, easiest is duplicate the rotated layer and then merge down.

16 pixel size text, 20 second example: https://i.imgur.com/F4SijhS.mp4

I appreciate the example video link.

When rotating the text (Georgia Bold, size: 19, using Gimp v2.10.8), I used the NoHalo option for the Interpolation setting in the left sidebar. This worked well enough in this instance that duplicating and merging were not needed.

Thanks!