RSS/Atom feed identi.ca Twitter

GIMP 2.8.0 for Mac OS X available! [Update]

By at 2012-05-10 00:15:20 UTC, last updated almost 2 years ago. CC BY-NC License

GIMP 2.8.0 for Mac OS X GIMP 2.8.0 for Mac OS X

Thanks to the efforts of Simone Karin (gimp.lisanet.de) all Mac OS X users now have the chance to download and use GIMP 2.8.

Supported platforms: (builds are X11-based)

• Mac OS X Snow Leopard
  • Mac OS X Lion

As you can read in her GIMP 2.8.0 for Mac announcement, she has built some other very useful plugins for GIMP 2.8 too and put them into the package (i.e. wavelet denoise, chromatic abberation, focus blur, UFRaw and more).

Update May 13th

There is a new version available. Please install the updated .dmg package.

Comments

Post your own comments, questions or hints here. The author and other users will see your posting and can reply to it.

Of course, you can also ask in the chat.

Subscription management

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

User rating

This topic (GIMP 2.8.0 for Mac OS X available! [Update]) has been rated 5.0/5.0.

As a registered user, you can rate articles and comments, attach files to comments, subscribe to topics and you don't need to solve CAPTCHAs anymore.

*…optional

TomL
over 1 year ago

Just upgraded to GiMP vr 2.8.3.
Would like to make all windows background darker like vr 2.8 had.
Is there a way??
Thanks
TomL

Michael
almost 2 years ago

Mighty Google suggests that XQuartz is too old, and you should update it.

Gerhard

Problems with Pages!!
Pages always down! After a series of new starts, Pages will not open!!
Then I deinstalled Gimp 2.8 and now all is fine. Pages works.
What happened?
My programs and Mac OS X always up to date!

Gerhard

Problem with Pages!!!
Pages break down! Then Pages will not open!!
After I deinstalled Gimp 2.8, then all its fine!
I have all programs and Mac OS X always up to date!

dawan

gimp1

Alan

...

FloridaJo member for about 2 years FloridaJo 4 comments
almost 2 years ago

Not sure how your's is set up Mikey Mike, but first I set my preferences up to be just one window, then my options for heal, clone ect. is on the right side of the window.

Mikey Mike
almost 2 years ago

Hi, I just downloaded gimp 2.8 for my iMac. I am a previous user of Gimp 2.6 on windows so I need some help! Everything loaded fine and version 2.8 is loading, but when I click on the toolbox icons the bottom options are not changing to match the selected icon (e.g. clone tool, smudge tool, etc.) What am I doing wrong? I am used to options popping up at the bottom of the toolbox so you can edit more efficiently.

Arne
almost 2 years ago

Now it works. Don't know why.
Installed XQuartz 2.7.1, GIMP 2.8-p1, deinstalled Macports. Nothing works. Installed XQ again, startet GIMP, nothing different. Clicked GIMP again,...X11 starts...but 2.6.3...(?) OK, that was the problem. After installing the RC2 of XQuartz 2.7.2, nothing was different. X11 starts only when I clicked GIMP twice (?)
Closed everything.

And than ... out of a sudden ... the icon of XQuartz appears.
? ? ?
And it is 2.7.2 rc2
WTF ?

But now GIMP works :)

devvv member for over 7 years devvv 1389 comments
almost 2 years ago

Simone updated her package. If you had some problems use the new version please!

FloridaJo member for about 2 years FloridaJo 4 comments
almost 2 years ago

I'm also using Snow Leopard and it works great. I deleted my other version of GIMP, and installed it, works fine.
Love my Mac, love the new GIMP.

petthefish member for almost 2 years petthefish 2 comments

I think its macports that changes X11 so that it crashes with 2.8

Arne
almost 2 years ago

I'm working on Snow-Leopard. Even with the resent updates it won't work. Just starting the curve-tool will crash X11.
I've got the version 2.8 from lisanet, but I have a macport-version installed, too (Version 2.7.3). But I think that they don't interfere.
So sad that it doesn't work.

redforce member for over 7 years redforce 228 comments
almost 2 years ago

The released source code is for Linux. Everyone can compile it, or wait for their distributions to ship with GIMP 2.8. For instance, Fedora 17 will already contain GIMP 2.8. Ubuntu users can either compile it themselves, or wait for either an upstream update or Ubuntu 12.10, or use an unofficial PPA like otto-kesselgulasch

petthefish member for almost 2 years petthefish 2 comments
almost 2 years ago

Great news for Mac build and many thanks.
I had to install xquartz to get text to work without crashing X11
but I suspect I may have killed X11 myself before this.

Kneops member for about 2 years Kneops 3 comments
almost 2 years ago

Same here. It's great news, but even better if it would already be available for Linux. ;). I switched from Windows/Mac to Linux some years ago and with no regrets. And GIMP is really awesome. I would really like to update my desktop from 2007: http://www.jacktummers.nl/blog/ubuntu-studio-710

Alinn
almost 2 years ago

Where is the linux version?

FloridaJo member for about 2 years FloridaJo 4 comments rated this topic with 5/5
almost 2 years ago

That's AWESOME!!!. Thanks so much, this is better the any of the births of my children. Yahooooooo!!

roy
almost 2 years ago

When will the linux version appear?