RSS/Atom feed identi.ca Twitter

selecting in a transparent layer

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

selecting in a transparent layer whburling 20 Nov 20:05
  selecting in a transparent layer whburling 20 Nov 22:18
2018-11-20 20:05:35 UTC (19 days ago)
postings
contact

i am creating a mask out of a normal transparent layer.

the mask consists of vertical black lines spaced by transparent line (default)

I created three vertical black lines via the pencil.

But....when I attempt to select the three the black lines, so that I can copy them and then paste them into the mask thus creating double the black lines that existed before the select, copy and paste, the selection process fails.

i get an error. the error states: "Cannot intersect with an empty selection"

I do not understand that error message. The pencil created black lines that are visible on the transparent layer. they exist. yet....GIMP feels that the black lines are not in existance ("empty selection")

PLEASE help me understand what is happening.

thank you

bil

2018-11-20 22:18:30 UTC (19 days ago)
postings
contact

i am creating a mask out of a normal transparent layer.

the mask consists of vertical black lines spaced by transparent line (default)

I created three vertical black lines via the pencil.

But....when I attempt to select the three the black lines, so that I can copy them and then paste them into the mask thus creating double the black lines that existed before the select, copy and paste, the selection process fails.

i get an error. the error states: "Cannot intersect with an empty selection"

I do not understand that error message. The pencil created black lines that are visible on the transparent layer. they exist. yet....GIMP feels that the black lines are not in existance ("empty selection")

PLEASE help me understand what is happening.

thank you

bil

FOUND A SOLUTION, THOUGH NOT AN UNDERSTANDING. If I select -> all then the border around my transparent layer shifts from yellow to white. I have no idea what that shift means. But THEN I CAN USE THE RECTUANGULAR SELECT WITH ZERO PROBLEM. after selecting, copying, pasting and anchoring....i then MUST repeat. Select -> all and repeat actions stated above.

What i find confusing is why I should have to select all before my rectangular select will work. it is as if a thransparent layer does not know it has an object in it if it is drawn within GIMP. Selecting all must convey to GIMP that there is something in that transparent layer (lines drawn by a pencil).

I wonder if this is a bug?