RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

heightfield

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

heightfield Gaillard Lee Johnson 14 Aug 04:38
  heightfield Raymond Ostertag 30 Aug 16:52
Gaillard Lee Johnson
2003-08-14 04:38:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heightfield

hi.

I made a heightfield in terraform for which I need a texture(s) and wondering if someone can assist me with a technique to possibly load a output from terraform ( if possible) into gimp ?( Ive tried exporting to tga/bmp but those do not provide a 3d heightfield to make a texture from ) ,,,that one,-would give me a 3d representation of it ( a actual 3d rep. like i'd have in terraform with 3dview 'on' ) so I could then 'two'..- paint over it for my textures on 'specific' areas of the terrain ie: rock faces etc. etc...there are apps in windows that do this ( T2 and terragen I think?) but I"d like to do this in linux if possible..

thx anyone lee
-====

Raymond Ostertag
2003-08-30 16:52:43 UTC (over 20 years ago)

heightfield

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 19:38:21 -0700 Gaillard Lee Johnson wrote:

hi.

Hello

I made a heightfield in terraform for which I need a texture(s) and wondering if someone can assist me with a technique to possibly load a output from terraform ( if possible) into gimp ?( Ive tried exporting to tga/bmp but those do not provide a 3d heightfield to make a texture from ) ,,,that one,-would give me a 3d representation of it ( a actual 3d rep. like i'd have in terraform with 3dview 'on' ) so I could then 'two'..- paint over it for my textures on 'specific' areas of the terrain ie: rock faces etc. etc...there are apps in windows that do this ( T2 and terragen I think?) but I"d like to do this in linux if possible..

You can export the 3D view from Terraform to Gimp and then paint on it. Do File >Export >View >To Gimp. But of course it's a static view in Gimp you can not move the terrain.
Terraform can export the heightfield but there is no way to export some kind of texture. All the texture used by Terraform to create an image from Edit >Scene Options are made with POV-Ray scripts that you can find in /usr/local/share/terraform/include/earth_textures. There is a more recent CVS version with new textures at http://terraform.tuxfamily.org/index.php?lang=en

@+ Raymond