RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Compiling 1.3 or CVS

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Compiling 1.3 or CVS Olle Viksten 12 Aug 16:06
  Compiling 1.3 or CVS BandiPat 12 Aug 17:13
   Compiling 1.3 or CVS Olle Viksten 13 Aug 17:31
    Compiling 1.3 or CVS BandiPat 13 Aug 21:41
  Compiling 1.3 or CVS Sven Neumann 17 Aug 13:02
   Compiling 1.3 or CVS Olle Viksten 18 Aug 06:09
Olle Viksten
2003-08-12 16:06:02 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compiling 1.3 or CVS

I've been trying now for three days to get 1.3 to work. When I compile the latest source it seems to work fine. But when I run the gimp-1.3 it just exits with the message:

The program 'gimp-1.3' received an X Window System error. This probably reflects a bug in the program. The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
(Details: serial 46 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20) (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously; that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it. To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

With a lot of tweeking I managed to compile the CVS version and got the same result.

Can anybody help?

Olle

BandiPat
2003-08-12 17:13:22 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compiling 1.3 or CVS

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 10:06 am, Olle Viksten wrote:

I've been trying now for three days to get 1.3 to work. When I compile the latest source it seems to work fine. But when I run the gimp-1.3 it just exits with the message:

The program 'gimp-1.3' received an X Window System error. This probably reflects a bug in the program. The error was 'BadLength (poly request too large or internal Xlib length erro'.
(Details: serial 46 error_code 16 request_code 154 minor_code 20) (Note to programmers: normally, X errors are reported asynchronously; that is, you will receive the error a while after causing it. To debug your program, run it with the --sync command line option to change this behavior. You can then get a meaningful backtrace from your debugger if you break on the gdk_x_error() function.)

With a lot of tweeking I managed to compile the CVS version and got the same result.

Can anybody help?

Olle

=============

Just a thought Olle, but did you do the ./configure and make as user or as root? Of course, the only part to be done as root is the make install part, but could it be possible you were root in the shell for part of it and didn't realize it?

Again, just a thought as I am not familar enough with those errors to offer anything else at this time.

Patrick

Olle Viksten
2003-08-13 17:31:21 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compiling 1.3 or CVS

tisdagen den 12 augusti 2003 17.13 skrev BandiPat:

On Tuesday 12 August 2003 10:06 am, Olle Viksten wrote:

Can anybody help?

Olle

=============

Just a thought Olle, but did you do the ./configure and make as user or as root? Of course, the only part to be done as root is the make install part, but could it be possible you were root in the shell for part of it and didn't realize it?

Again, just a thought as I am not familar enough with those errors to offer anything else at this time.

I tried your solution and it didn't work.

I'm running Suse 8.2 and I'm using apt-get to update my installed rpms. If I try to install the gimp1.3.17 that's available at usr.local.org it insists that I have to remove sane and xsane. Thus making it impossible for me to use my scanner. So the binary update is out at the moment.

I've never had any problem compiling and usin the unstable versions of gimp before. And I've been using Gimp for ages.

Olle

BandiPat
2003-08-13 21:41:00 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compiling 1.3 or CVS

On Wednesday 13 August 2003 11:31 am, Olle Viksten wrote:

=============

--------------------------------
I tried your solution and it didn't work.

I'm running Suse 8.2 and I'm using apt-get to update my installed rpms. If I try to install the gimp1.3.17 that's available at usr.local.org it insists that I have to remove sane and xsane. Thus making it impossible for me to use my scanner. So the binary update is out at the moment.

I've never had any problem compiling and usin the unstable versions of gimp before. And I've been using Gimp for ages.

Olle

============

Ok, Olle, as you can see, I run SuSE 8.2 as well and did not experience any problems compiling and installing. I have never used usr.local.org's binaries for Gimp, although I have used some others he has. I stay away from apt-get with the problems and potential problems it presents. I don't remember having a problem with sane on the first build of Gimp 1.3.x though. I have rpm files as well, if you would like to try it. It is installed so that it doesn't interfere with your 1.2.x install. We will need either a location for me to upload too or a direct transfer to you, as the rpm is quite large.

Patrick

Sven Neumann
2003-08-17 13:02:01 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compiling 1.3 or CVS

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 16:06, Olle Viksten wrote:

This is unlikely a GIMP problem. It looks like either your GTK+ or X11 installation is screwed up or your X-server is buggy. Perhaps your GTK+ or X11 headers don't match the libraries that are used to link The GIMP.

Sven

Olle Viksten
2003-08-18 06:09:44 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Compiling 1.3 or CVS

söndagen den 17 augusti 2003 13.02 skrev Sven Neumann:

Hi,

On Tue, 2003-08-12 at 16:06, Olle Viksten wrote:

This is unlikely a GIMP problem. It looks like either your GTK+ or X11 installation is screwed up or your X-server is buggy. Perhaps your GTK+ or X11 headers don't match the libraries that are used to link The GIMP.

Thanks, I found it out myself when I compiled sane and xsane for gtk2. I got the same error.

Olle