RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Aspect ratio Cropping

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Aspect ratio Cropping Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk 05 Aug 22:52
  Aspect ratio Cropping Joao S. O. Bueno 05 Aug 23:39
  Aspect ratio Cropping Sven Neumann 16 Aug 13:25
Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk
2003-08-05 22:52:59 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Aspect ratio Cropping

I've tried some of the cropping plug-ins but either I don't understand how to use them, or they don't do what I want.

I have a "full frame" photo that I want to prepare for printing. The photo is 2x3 aspect ratio(so lets say 2000x3000 pixels). I want to print it at 3.5x5 (inches or 2000x2857 pixels). I want to position the crop in the photo - i.e. in landscape I want to eliminate a few pixels from the left and a few from the right. This isn't too hard to do with the current tools (could be easier), but

lets say I want to crop just a face out of a photo of 3 people, but keep a 3.5x5 aspect ratio - I would like to be able to slide the crop frame around and see how it would look with 2 faces, or all 3,...

Ideally I set an aspect ratio, and then can resize the crop frame on the fly while I decide on the best composition just by sliding the corner of the frame. Any ideas of an easy way to do this? -----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-08-05 23:39:53 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Aspect ratio Cropping

Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk wrote:

Ideally I set an aspect ratio, and then can resize the crop frame on the fly while I decide on the best composition just by sliding the corner of the frame. Any ideas of an easy way to do this?

Double click on rectangle select tool. Click on " fixed size/aspct ratio"
set desired ratio
shift drag to the wanted size.
alt+drag selection to final composition (if you are under KDE you have to turn off the ALT key effects underthe KDE control pannel)
select crop tool
drag a random amount, just for the pop confirm dialog to open click in "from selection"
click ok.

It's easier done than said - just go for it.

-----
Timothy Jedlicka, bonzo@lucent.com, 1-630-713-4436, AOL-IM=bonzowork Network Entomologist, Lucent Technologies, Testers For Hire

Sven Neumann
2003-08-16 13:25:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Aspect ratio Cropping

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 22:52, Timothy E. Jedlicka - wrk wrote:

I've tried some of the cropping plug-ins but either I don't understand how to use them, or they don't do what I want.

I have a "full frame" photo that I want to prepare for printing. The photo is 2x3 aspect ratio(so lets say 2000x3000 pixels). I want to print it at 3.5x5 (inches or 2000x2857 pixels). I want to position the crop in the photo - i.e. in landscape I want to eliminate a few pixels from the left and a few from the right. This isn't too hard to do with the current tools (could be easier), but

lets say I want to crop just a face out of a photo of 3 people, but keep a 3.5x5 aspect ratio - I would like to be able to slide the crop frame around and see how it would look with 2 faces, or all 3,...

Ideally I set an aspect ratio, and then can resize the crop frame on the fly while I decide on the best composition just by sliding the corner of the frame. Any ideas of an easy way to do this?

There is an enhancement request for this already:

http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=118775

What you can do is to use the rect-select tool which allows to set an aspect ratio and then crop the selection.

Sven