RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Trouble with configure option --prefix

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Trouble with configure option --prefix Christoph Haller 30 Jul 16:12
  Trouble with configure option --prefix Sven Neumann 30 Jul 16:23
  Trouble with configure option --prefix Gene Heskett 30 Jul 17:18
Christoph Haller
2003-07-30 16:12:10 UTC (over 20 years ago)

I've compiled gimp-1.2.5 with success using the configure option --prefix=$HOME/foo
However, when I try to start I face a rather bizarre message For a proper GIMP installation, a subdiretcory named $HOME/~/foo needs to be created.

This appeared wrong to me, but out of curiosity I did the favor and created a directory called ~ (tilde) in $HOME. GIMP started, but as I expected complained about a missing directory $HOME/$HOME/foo

The other way around, creating a $HOME/$HOME/foo in the first place, doesn't work either.

I'm afraid I'm stuck in a vicious circle. Does anybody know, where my initial mistake may be.

Regards, Christoph

Sven Neumann
2003-07-30 16:23:24 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Hi,

Christoph Haller writes:

I've compiled gimp-1.2.5 with success using the configure option --prefix=$HOME/foo
However, when I try to start I face a rather bizarre message For a proper GIMP installation, a subdiretcory named $HOME/~/foo needs to be created.

This appeared wrong to me, but out of curiosity I did the favor and created a directory called ~ (tilde) in $HOME. GIMP started, but as I expected complained about a missing directory $HOME/$HOME/foo

The other way around, creating a $HOME/$HOME/foo in the first place, doesn't work either.

I'm afraid I'm stuck in a vicious circle. Does anybody know, where my initial mistake may be.

What about using --prefix=/home/username/foo instead of relying on shell substition where you can't rely on it?

Sven

Gene Heskett
2003-07-30 17:18:49 UTC (over 20 years ago)

On Wednesday 30 July 2003 10:12, Christoph Haller wrote:

Regards, Christoph

Thats because AIUI, the tilde is a universal symbol representing the *users* home dir, as in if I was logged in as gene, then it would be string subbed by /home/gene when encountered in a script. So ~/foo would be /home/gene/foo in that case.