RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Fonts in 1.3.15

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Fonts in 1.3.15 Michael Edwards 27 Jun 01:59
Fonts in 1.3.15 Jeff Trefftzs 27 Jun 03:07
  Fonts in 1.3.15 Sven Neumann 27 Jun 12:08
   Fonts in 1.3.15 Nick Wilson 02 Jul 19:18
Michael Edwards
2003-06-27 01:59:30 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Fonts in 1.3.15

I'm totally lost with fonts in 1.3.15.

Here's what I know:

* The text tool has a button for open, a button for clear, and a couple of buttons to indicate the direction of the text. There's also the text window.

* There is a font dialog where I can see an "Aa" example of the fonts plus a quote in that font once I roll over a font label with the mouse.

My problems are that:

* I cannot change the color of the font, regardless of how I set my foreground color.
* I cannot change the size of the font. * I don't seem to be able to actually change the font at all, although I can highlight a font in the font dialog. * Getting the text to appear on the image, even assuming the default font in black, is inconsistently successful.

I've been using the earlier Gimp 1.x.x series for a few years now, so I know my way around Gimp fairly well. I'm pretty much all googled out with this problem. I'm running Gnome 2.2 off of the recent Ximian Desktop 2 updates. Could I just have a bum generic font widget from that? I feel like I taking crazy pills here. Has anyone else run into this?

-Mike

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-06-27 03:07:27 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Fonts in 1.3.15

Hi Mike -

Fonts aren't quite as intuitive (or maybe we're both just set in our ways) as in GIMP-1.2.x, but here's how it works:

1. Double click on the text tool in the toolbox. This will give you the tool's own dialog box, where you can set the font, the size, the color, and the alignment of the text you enter. When you click on the selector button at the right of the font name, you will get a dialog box with the six dozen liquor jugs text. There you can set the font style, if there are any variants.

2. Click in the image window. This will pop up an entry box where you can enter your desired text, also selecting left-to-right or right-to-left directionality.

I think 1.3.x puts a whole lot of controls in the tools' own control panels. Once you've opened a single tool control panel, though, it will reflect the controls for whatever tool is active.

HTH,

Sven Neumann
2003-06-27 12:08:35 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Fonts in 1.3.15

Hi,

Jeff Trefftzs writes:

When you click on the selector button at the right of the font name, you will get a dialog box with the six dozen liquor jugs text. There you can set the font style, if there are any variants.

This font selector dialog is likely to go away as soon as the font list/grid and popup widgets are good enough to replace it.

2. Click in the image window. This will pop up an entry box where you can enter your desired text, also selecting left-to-right or right-to-left directionality.

I think 1.3.x puts a whole lot of controls in the tools' own control panels. Once you've opened a single tool control panel, though, it will reflect the controls for whatever tool is active.

Yes, with 1.3 you need the tool options even more than you did with 1.2. That's why the new default session setup has the tool-options docked below the toolbox.

Sven

Nick Wilson
2003-07-02 19:18:34 UTC (over 20 years ago)

Fonts in 1.3.15

* and then Sven Neumann declared....

Yes, with 1.3 you need the tool options even more than you did with 1.2. That's why the new default session setup has the tool-options docked below the toolbox.

Hi all, I'm having trouble working out where the color change is located on 1.2 can somone plese help?

Many thanks...