RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

GIMP 1.2.5 hangs Enlightenment DR 0.16.5 on Linux

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

GIMP 1.2.5 hangs Enlightenment DR 0.16.5 on Linux Tom Williams 24 Jun 07:31
  GIMP 1.2.5 hangs Enlightenment DR 0.16.5 on Linux Sven Neumann 24 Jun 09:57
  GIMP 1.2.5 hangs Enlightenment DR 0.16.5 on Linux Markus Kniebes 24 Jun 10:09
Tom Williams
2003-06-24 07:31:19 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi! Has anyone had any problems with gimp 1.2.5 (or 1.2.3 for that matter) causing Enlightenment DR 0.16.5 to hang? I was trying to save an image I created and after clicking the "Ok" button to save the image as a JPEG after specifying the image quality, etc., I heard a "beep" (PC speaker) and I could move the mouse but NOT click on anything. I was able to switch over to virtual console #1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and saw a message indicating an X client had been rejected by the X server. Unfortunately, I don't have any more diagnostic info than that. :(

Any ideas on what's going on? It only seems to happen with Enlightenment. WindowMaker and AfterStep both work fine. Also, sometimes when running gimp with Enlightenment, some gimp windows will open OFF of the screen and I won't be able to click on anything again. For example, take an image that is 800x600 and when I use the guides to "carve" the picture into pieces (each 100 pixels vertically and each 200 pixels horizontally) and use the "Perl-o-tine" script to perform the carving, the Perl-o-tine windows will appear and disappear as the script runs and some of those windows will appear OFF of the viewable part of the screen and gimp goes off into never-never land.

I'm running on Slackware Linux 8 with 2.4.21 kernel, glbc-2.3.2, gcc-3.3, glib/gtk+-2.2.2, and XFree86 4.3.0.

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance... :)

Peace...

Tom

Sven Neumann
2003-06-24 09:57:58 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Tom Williams writes:

Hi! Has anyone had any problems with gimp 1.2.5 (or 1.2.3 for that matter) causing Enlightenment DR 0.16.5 to hang? I was trying to save an image I created and after clicking the "Ok" button to save the image as a JPEG after specifying the image quality, etc., I heard a "beep" (PC speaker) and I could move the mouse but NOT click on anything. I was able to switch over to virtual console #1 (Ctrl-Alt-F1) and saw a message indicating an X client had been rejected by the X server. Unfortunately, I don't have any more diagnostic info than that. :(

Any ideas on what's going on? It only seems to happen with Enlightenment. WindowMaker and AfterStep both work fine. Also, sometimes when running gimp with Enlightenment, some gimp windows will open OFF of the screen and I won't be able to click on anything again. For example, take an image that is 800x600 and when I use the guides to "carve" the picture into pieces (each 100 pixels vertically and each 200 pixels horizontally) and use the "Perl-o-tine" script to perform the carving, the Perl-o-tine windows will appear and disappear as the script runs and some of those windows will appear OFF of the viewable part of the screen and gimp goes off into never-never land.

The obvious solution to this problem is: use a working window manager. The GIMP is certainly not positioning windows outside the screen. It's up to the window manager to position them. If your WM decides to put windows off screen, it's about time to think about a change. Yes, I know that this is not what you wanted to hear, but your WM is obviously broken. Face the facts.

Sven

Markus Kniebes
2003-06-24 10:09:35 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

hey,

* Tom Williams [030624 07:31]:

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. :)

well, no real idea, but there are some new version, e16.6pre4

cu, markus.