RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

TIFF save - problem

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Newbie question -- OpenGL manual used on Mesa? V Y 17 Jun 21:27
  TIFF save - problem Mariusz Sapinski 18 Jun 12:08
   TIFF save - problem Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 18 Jun 12:20
   TIFF save - problem Sven Neumann 18 Jun 12:26
    TIFF save - problem Mariusz Sapinski 18 Jun 12:31
     TIFF save - problem Marc) (A.) (Lehmann 18 Jun 12:36
   TIFF save - problem Carol Spears 18 Jun 14:57
V Y
2003-06-17 21:27:49 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Newbie question -- OpenGL manual used on Mesa?

Dear All:

I am truly a newbie to Mesa. If want to learn more about Mesa API, would an OpenGL manual/book be applicable?

thanks

--Vincent

Mariusz Sapinski
2003-06-18 12:08:03 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

TIFF save - problem

Hello,

i'm working with gimp version from RedHat 9. I got large TIFF files. Since a moment when i'm trying to write down the large file, i got 3 dialog windows with following messages:

"save failed"

"TIFF Failed scanline write on row 0"

"LZW compression in not available due to Unisys pattern enforcement"

I have'n enforced any Unisys pattern? What's going on? How to repair it?

Thank you in advance,

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-06-18 12:20:55 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

TIFF save - problem

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:08:03PM +0200, Mariusz Sapinski wrote:

That should read "patent" instead of "pattern". I am not sure wether this is a redhatism. In any case, LZW compression is likely affected by a patent hold by unisys (which will expire this friday in the us, and in one year in europe and japan), and thus either you get a license from unisys (don't bother, too expensive), or get a version of gimp that allows LZW and possibly commit crimes and and decapitated ;)

Sven Neumann
2003-06-18 12:26:28 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

TIFF save - problem

Hi,

Mariusz Sapinski writes:

i'm working with gimp version from RedHat 9. I got large TIFF files. Since a moment when i'm trying to write down the large file, i got 3 dialog windows with following messages:

"save failed"

That should probably read Unisys _patent_ enforcement. Thanks to Unisys the LZW compression is patented and obviously RedHat decided not to include the code in question in their GIMP packages. There might be an additional package that adds this functionality, otherwise you will have to choose some other compression than LZW in the tiff save dialog. If that dialog does not appear when you save the file, try to use "Save As".

Sven

Mariusz Sapinski
2003-06-18 12:31:56 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

TIFF save - problem

Hello,

On Wed, 18 Jun 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

Mariusz Sapinski writes:

"save failed"

That should probably read Unisys _patent_ enforcement. Thanks to Unisys the LZW compression is patented and obviously RedHat decided not to include the code in question in their GIMP packages. There might be an additional package that adds this functionality, otherwise you will have to choose some other compression than LZW in the tiff save dialog. If that dialog does not appear when you save the file, try to use "Save As".

What surprises me is that among the 60 files i have to work on, i succeed with more than 40, and then i've met the problem. Another problem is that with the rest of the files, even if i choose "Save As" option, i cannot really save. Some options are off (like jpg), others are not (Tiff, uncompressed, as i understand), but if i save to BPM or Tiff i cannot export it to jpeg after (and jpeg are at the end of the road)... Maybe i'll try to scan the photos again to jpeg or so.

Mariusz

Marc) (A.) (Lehmann
2003-06-18 12:36:22 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

TIFF save - problem

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:31:56PM +0200, Mariusz Sapinski wrote:

What surprises me is that among the 60 files i have to work on, i succeed with more than 40, and then i've met the problem. Another problem is that with the rest of the files, even if i choose "Save As" option, i cannot really save. Some options are off (like jpg), others are not (Tiff, uncompressed, as i understand), but if i save to BPM or Tiff i cannot export it to jpeg after (and jpeg are at the end of the road)... Maybe i'll try to scan the photos again to jpeg or so.

Either enter "filename.jpg" manually and use "use file extednsion", or make sure you are working in Image=>Mode=>RGB mode, as you cnanot save indexed images as JPEG.

(or your problem is something else, who knows, but the above is the most common cause).

Carol Spears
2003-06-18 14:57:20 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

TIFF save - problem

On 2003-06-18 at 1208.03 +0200, Mariusz Sapinski typed this:

Hello,

"save failed"

Thank you in advance,

what about saving as "filename.tiff.gz" i bet this is a better method to compress files.

did i bet right?

carol