RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rotating

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

16 of 17 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rotating Liz Quilty 15 Jun 21:31
  rotating Gene Heskett 15 Jun 22:28
   rotating Sven Neumann 16 Jun 12:17
    rotating Gene Heskett 16 Jun 13:41
     rotating Carsten Kaemmerer 16 Jun 13:51
     rotating Henrik Brix Andersen 16 Jun 14:47
      rotating Gene Heskett 16 Jun 19:12
     rotating Sven Neumann 16 Jun 14:54
      rotating Gene Heskett 16 Jun 19:08
       rotating Sven Neumann 16 Jun 19:14
        rotating Gene Heskett 16 Jun 19:50
     rotating Joao S. O. Bueno 16 Jun 14:55
  rotating Carol Spears 15 Jun 22:30
1055705792.3738.4.camel@PC1 07 Oct 20:15
  rotating Liz Quilty 15 Jun 22:06
   rotating Gene Heskett 15 Jun 23:15
    rotating Jeff Trefftzs 16 Jun 02:01
Liz Quilty
2003-06-15 21:31:36 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

Is it possible to rotate an image with gimp 1-2 degrees rather than only 90 degree angles?
I dont appear to be able to find any options anywhere :/

LQ

Liz Quilty
2003-06-15 22:06:50 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

Ahhh! thank you!
I knew I had used it before I just couldnt find it :/

Must be monday.

Thanks!

Liz Q

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 07:36, João Carlos Fernandes Pinheiro wrote:

Hi! Yes it is. On the main "menu" the second button on the right, counting from top allows you to rotate you image freely.

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 20:31, Liz Quilty wrote:

Is it possible to rotate an image with gimp 1-2 degrees rather than only 90 degree angles?

LQ

Gene Heskett
2003-06-15 22:28:06 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Sunday 15 June 2003 15:31, Liz Quilty wrote:

LQ

The short answer is no.

The longer answer is that 90 degree rotates are nothing more than byte location shuffling.

But a 1 or 2 degree rotate would probably cost half the resolution in those sreas of the pix where you'd have to mix the bytes above and below to get the value of that one. Thats on the left-right edges. Ditto the byte left and right of that one at the top and bottom of the image. When the angles got up to where you had to go to shuffling the whole square of 9 bytes, and reaching into adjacent 9 byte cells, the time to do the math would rapidly degenerate toward infinity. This would be the situation for the corners of the image.

At some point it would be quicker to degenerate the image into and x and y values linked to the current x(color/hue/intensity) on a per pixel basis, and then manipulate the x and y values, then redraw the image based on that. And that also needs resolution killing anti-aliasing to look good, else the stairsteps get pretty noticeable. That turns such a program into a full fledged, and 3-5 digit priced graphics rendering thing if it can do a full frame in under 10 minutes. The older amiga Lightwave is I believe in that category, since migrated to wintel platforms and heavily used in the gfx business yet by those who can afford it. And I believe that the hollywood extended gimp, motion-gimp can also do such things, but I've personally never seen it run. Someone who has some experience with it should comment about my probable miss-conceptions right about here.

I used to watch an amiga, doing an all gfx 30 second tv spot, with frames rendered sometimes only 4 or 5 an hour for complex, real life appearing images. A 30 second at 60 fps spot took several of days to render.

As I was in charge of the maintainance on the tape machines that recorded that, it was painfull to me to watch them sitting in still frame pause wearing out the tape and heads waiting for the next one frame edit to be appended. And we stopped doing that when the real costs of doing those animations was totalled up, the advertising client soon learned that state of the (then) art was expensive so it was self-throttling. Now we do much of that with non-linear editing from disk stored image files, and get results in 5% of the time, 4% of which is the artist sitting there deciding if he likes this, or that, better. But without the fancy morphing and such effects except in the character overlays.

Carol Spears
2003-06-15 22:30:54 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

hi,

On 2003-06-16 at 0731.36 +1200, Liz Quilty typed this:

yes there is. it is a tool. depending on which gimp you are using, i would use the mouse and read the tool tips (the icon is different on both) gimp-1.3 is says rotate the image or layer and it actually has little arrows in the icon to help identify it.

good luck gimping, carol

Gene Heskett
2003-06-15 23:15:54 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Sunday 15 June 2003 16:06, Liz Quilty wrote:

Ahhh! thank you!
I knew I had used it before I just couldnt find it :/

Must be monday.

Thanks!

Liz Q

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 07:36, João Carlos Fernandes Pinheiro wrote:

Hi! Yes it is. On the main "menu" the second button on the right, counting from top allows you to rotate you image freely.

What version of gimp? I don't recall running into that. And there is one application where I would love to have the curve generation ability of imagemajick available, that of drawing the 4/3rds earth curvatures for a microwave radio path, where one must mentally plug in the 11 feet per mile curvature when estimating obstruction clearances. None of the mapping utils (such as MapTech for winderz) in the sub 1000 dollar area give anything but straight line plots to the here to there profile outputs. And none allow the point to points to be elevated above the terrain to simulate a tower of x feet height.

The ability to do that curve would no doubt speed up the deployment of 802-11 stuffs into those rural areas where there isn't x customers per square mile to make it profitable and attractive to the VC folks.

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 20:31, Liz Quilty wrote:

LQ

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

Jeff Trefftzs
2003-06-16 02:01:06 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Sun, 2003-06-15 at 14:15, Gene Heskett wrote:

What version of gimp? I don't recall running into that.

Gimp-1.x has had it for years. It's called the Transform Tool. Does Rotation, Scaling, Shearing, and even Perspective transforms. I used it most recently to correct keystone distortion on some pictures of presentation slides.

And there is
one application where I would love to have the curve generation ability of imagemajick available, that of drawing the 4/3rds earth curvatures for a microwave radio path, where one must mentally plug in the 11 feet per mile curvature when estimating obstruction clearances. None of the mapping utils (such as MapTech for winderz) in the sub 1000 dollar area give anything but straight line plots to the here to there profile outputs. And none allow the point to points to be elevated above the terrain to simulate a tower of x feet height.

The ability to do that curve would no doubt speed up the deployment of 802-11 stuffs into those rural areas where there isn't x customers per square mile to make it profitable and attractive to the VC folks.

As one of those potential customers who lives *waaaaay* out in the boonies, I'd like to see that, too. But the curve generation sounds like something that could be done pretty easily in script-fu.

Sven Neumann
2003-06-16 12:17:07 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

The short answer is no.

Sorry, but that is wrong. Free rotations have been around for quite a long time (was added before gimp-1.0 if I remember correctly). It is all hidden in the transform tool.

Gene Heskett
2003-06-16 13:41:28 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Monday 16 June 2003 06:17, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

The short answer is no.

Sorry, but that is wrong. Free rotations have been around for quite a long time (was added before gimp-1.0 if I remember correctly). It is all hidden in the transform tool.

Yes, Duh. I found that button, based on other messages that replied.

The popup when the mouse is over it says "rotation, shearing, scaling, perspective". But I was unable (and the manpage is something like yet to be written for at least 1/2 of those functions) unable to get it out of the rotation mode and into one of the last 3 modes. How is this done? I tried the usual suspects of shift clicking and didn't seem to hit the magic twanger on the other functions. Gimp is 1.2.3.

Carsten Kaemmerer
2003-06-16 13:51:46 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

Hi!

The popup when the mouse is over it says "rotation, shearing, scaling, perspective". But I was unable (and the manpage is something like yet to be written for at least 1/2 of those functions) unable to get it out of the rotation mode and into one of the last 3 modes. How is this done? I tried the usual suspects of shift clicking and didn't seem to hit the magic twanger on the other functions. Gimp is 1.2.3.

Try double clicking on the button in the main menu, the 'Tool Options' menu should open. Or you can get this menu by selecting 'File', then 'Dialogs' and then 'Tool Options' from the main menu.

Carsten

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-06-16 14:47:00 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 13:41, Gene Heskett wrote:

You need to double-click on the tool in the toolbox to get to the tool options. This goes for all the tools. Another way to show the tool options is to use the menu File/Dialogs/Tool Options...

Sincerely, ./Brix

Sven Neumann
2003-06-16 14:54:23 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

The popup when the mouse is over it says "rotation, shearing, scaling, perspective". But I was unable (and the manpage is something like yet to be written for at least 1/2 of those functions) unable to get it out of the rotation mode and into one of the last 3 modes. How is this done? I tried the usual suspects of shift clicking and didn't seem to hit the magic twanger on the other functions.

Double-Click the tool icon in the toolbox to open the tool options dialog. You should really have this dialog open all the time in order to make use of the full feature-set of The GIMP.

Gimp is 1.2.3.

We improved this in GIMP-1.3. I'm sure you would have found the rotation feature in the CVS version of The GIMP.

Sven

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-06-16 14:55:51 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Monday 16 June 2003 08:41, Gene Heskett wrote:

On Monday 16 June 2003 06:17, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

The short answer is no.

Yes, Duh. I found that button, based on other messages that replied.

You have to bring up the "tool options" dialog box. Actually, try to always work with tool options on your screen - there is a really a lot of nice options on each GIMP tool there.

Please, don't complain about the rotating function being hidden- it's been changed on gimp 1.3.

Regards,

JS ->

Gene Heskett
2003-06-16 19:08:54 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Monday 16 June 2003 08:54, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

The popup when the mouse is over it says "rotation, shearing, scaling, perspective". But I was unable (and the manpage is something like yet to be written for at least 1/2 of those functions) unable to get it out of the rotation mode and into one of the last 3 modes. How is this done? I tried the usual suspects of shift clicking and didn't seem to hit the magic twanger on the other functions.

Double-Click the tool icon in the toolbox to open the tool options dialog. You should really have this dialog open all the time in order to make use of the full feature-set of The GIMP.

Kewl! Ok, one other function I need, the ability to draw a straight line between two marked points. So far all I've found is the free-hand stuff and these ancient, getting shaky hands no longer run a mouse in anything like a straight line. Is that similarly hidden?

Gimp is 1.2.3.

We improved this in GIMP-1.3. I'm sure you would have found the rotation feature in the CVS version of The GIMP.

I may try to build 1.2.5, I see its out for 2-3 days now. Will it build on RH8.0?

Sven

Gene Heskett
2003-06-16 19:12:48 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Monday 16 June 2003 08:47, Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:

On Mon, 2003-06-16 at 13:41, Gene Heskett wrote:

You need to double-click on the tool in the toolbox to get to the tool options. This goes for all the tools. Another way to show the tool options is to use the menu File/Dialogs/Tool Options...

Thanks. You can tell rather obviously that I am not a graphics artist. :(

Sincerely,
./Brix

Sven Neumann
2003-06-16 19:14:32 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

Kewl! Ok, one other function I need, the ability to draw a straight line between two marked points. So far all I've found is the free-hand stuff and these ancient, getting shaky hands no longer run a mouse in anything like a straight line. Is that similarly hidden?

http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/tutorials/Straight_Line/

Sven

Gene Heskett
2003-06-16 19:50:09 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

rotating

On Monday 16 June 2003 13:14, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Gene Heskett writes:

http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/tutorials/Straight_Line/

Great! I backed out one level and bookmarked it for future reference, thanks.

Sven