RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

'Cutout' filter for Gimp?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.15 Sven Neumann 10 Jun 17:11
  ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.15 BandiPat 11 Jun 15:53
   ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.15 John Culleton 18 Jun 20:07
    'Cutout' filter for Gimp? Dee Dreslough 18 Jun 20:19
     'Cutout' filter for Gimp? Joao S. O. Bueno 18 Jun 20:54
ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.15 Tom Williams 11 Jun 16:10
ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.2.5 Manish Singh 14 Jun 22:08
Sven Neumann
2003-06-10 17:11:22 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.3.15

Hi GIMPers,

there's a new development snapshot of The GIMP for you to play with. Grab a copy from

ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v1.3/v1.3.15/

or from one of the mirrors listed at http://gimp.org/download.html.

I suggest you also upgrade to Pango 1.2.3 and GTK+ 2.2.2 which have just been released since there are some important bug-fixes in these releases which also affect The GIMP.

Here's a short summary of changes. For a more complete coverage, please consult the ChangeLog:

Overview of Changes in GIMP 1.3.15 ==================================

- Removed color correction tools from toolbox again [Sven] - Factored out color-picking code into a GimpColorTool class [Sven] - Updates to the W32 build system [Tor Lillqvist, Hans Breuer] - Removed the need for special casing for some platforms [Yosh, Sven] - Added item rotation (90, 180, 270 degrees) [Sven, Mitch] - Load old paths as new vector objects [Mitch] - Apply transformations to linked items [Mitch] - Generalized item transformations [Mitch] - Improved session managment [Mitch] - Speed up fonts query [Yosh]
- Backed out pluggable tools [Sven]
- Lots of bug fixes

Other contributors: Branko Collin, Pedro Gimeno, Dave Neary, Raphael Quinet, Maurits Rijk, Adam D. Moss, Jakub Steiner

Happy GIMPing

BandiPat
2003-06-11 15:53:53 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Tuesday 10 June 2003 11:11, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi GIMPers,

there's a new development snapshot of The GIMP for you to play with. Grab a copy from

================

Thanks Sven, Got it! Love it! Sometimes you wonder how much better Gimp can get, but the developers keep finding ways to improve it! Folks, if you haven't given it a look yet, please do, it will be worth your time to compile it.

Patrick

Tom Williams
2003-06-11 16:10:17 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

BandiPat wrote:

Hi GIMPers,

================

Thanks Sven, Got it! Love it! Sometimes you wonder how much better Gimp can get, but the developers keep finding ways to improve it! Folks, if you haven't given it a look yet, please do, it will be worth your time to compile it.

Patrick
--

My "make install" just finished and I'm about to try it now! :)

Peace...

Tom

Manish Singh
2003-06-14 22:08:21 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

ANNOUNCE: GIMP 1.2.5

GIMP 1.2.5 has found it's way on to the FTP site:

ftp://ftp.gimp.org/pub/gimp/v1.2/v1.2.5/

This is a minor bugfix release. Notably the build error in gimp-remote has been fixed.

The following bugs were fixed (thanks to Dave Neary for compiling this list):

Bug # Description ------ -----------
17904 Off-by-one in selection boundary preview 69773 drawing slim lines with a 1x1 brush has issues 82763 xbm plugin emits malformed xbms 87687 ImageMap should use lowercase tags and escape attributes 104693 Scaling down a small image loses some pixel data 107402 Dissolve blend mode not consistent 110014 Display problems with selection border and image border 113425 Build fails at gimp-remote.c 113445 imagemap cannot re-read its maps 113610 Van Gogh plug-in always creates new image 113639 canvas shrinks when exporting PNG with 'save a copy' 113835 Layers can't be moved using the cursor keys if NumLock is enabled
114225 Parameter settings in filters->render->pattern->grid swapped 114396 gimp_image_set_linked / gimp_image_set_visibility problems 114419 Script-Fu: Alchemy/Unsharp Mask produces incorrect results 114913 TARGA (TGA) 16 images with alpha channel are displayed strangely

Contributors: Sven Neumann, Raphael Quinet, Michael Natterrer, Adam Moss, Tor Lilliqvist, Maurits Rijk, Pedro Gimeno, Henning Makholm, Yohei Honda.

More details, as usual, in the ChangeLog.

Happy GIMPing, -Yosh

John Culleton
2003-06-18 20:07:34 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wednesday 11 June 2003 09:53 am, BandiPat wrote:

Hi GIMPers,

there's a new development snapshot of The GIMP for you to play with.

Got it! Love it! Sometimes you wonder how much better Gimp can get, but the developers keep finding ways to improve it! Folks, if you haven't given it a look yet, please do, it will be worth your time to compile it.

Patrick

Me, I am waiting for the version that handles CMYK files internally and puts them out. That is the 900 pound gorilla. Maybe version 2???

Dee Dreslough
2003-06-18 20:19:56 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the list, but I've been using gimp exclusively now for several months, and I love it.

The one feature I used to have with photoshop but haven't yet found with Gimp is a filter called (I might be mis-remembering) Cutout.

It was great for taking my black and white sketches and smoothing them out to make them look more vector-drawn, as well as filling in any missed spots. Here's an example:

Before Cutout: http://www.dreslough.com/main/latest/FallGirlandDog-2.png After Cutout: http://www.dreslough.com/main/latest/FallGirlandDog2.png

What's the equivalent filter for this in Gimp? (I'm sure there is one...there seems to be an equivalent for everything else I've needed so far... ;) )

-Dee Dreslough
www.dreslough.com

Joao S. O. Bueno
2003-06-18 20:54:18 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Sorry for the image size.
[300KB image atachment ommitted to the list ]

This is what I got wth the GIMP

1) filters->blur->gaussian blur, 3 hor, 2, V 2) adjust brightness and contrast: enhance contrast, augment brighness 3) repeat steps 1 and 2 once.

Hope it satisfies you. If you need to automate that, I could make a script for you later on.

Dee Dreslough wrote:

Hi Everyone!

I'm new to the list, but I've been using gimp exclusively now for several months, and I love it.

The one feature I used to have with photoshop but haven't yet found with Gimp is a filter called (I might be mis-remembering) Cutout.

It was great for taking my black and white sketches and smoothing them out to make them look more vector-drawn, as well as filling in any missed spots. Here's an example:

Before Cutout: http://www.dreslough.com/main/latest/FallGirlandDog-2.png After Cutout: http://www.dreslough.com/main/latest/FallGirlandDog2.png

What's the equivalent filter for this in Gimp? (I'm sure there is one...there seems to be an equivalent for everything else I've needed so far... ;) )

-Dee Dreslough
www.dreslough.com