RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

A nice toy

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

A nice toy johnny 10 Jun 10:18
  A nice toy Sven Neumann 10 Jun 11:41
  A nice toy Henrik Brix Andersen 10 Jun 11:49
   A nice toy johnny 11 Jun 00:49
  A nice toy Jakub Steiner 10 Jun 13:36
  A nice toy Jon Winters 10 Jun 16:34
A nice toy craniac (Steve Crane) 10 Jun 11:47
johnny
2003-06-10 10:18:45 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

A nice toy

Gimp is a nice toy to play with. As a former Photoshop user, I still have 3 questions bugging me: 1. Let's say I have this image I need to rotate precisely by 2.5 degrees CCW. How I am supposed to do this simple task in Gimp? 2. I still didn't figure out how to quickly create my own patterns (this is a simple procedure in Photoshop). 3. A Distort tool seems to be missing in Gimp. Correct me if I am wrong. Running Gimp 1.2.3 on a Mandrake Linux box.

Sven Neumann
2003-06-10 11:41:41 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

A nice toy

Hi,

johnny writes:

1. Let's say I have this image I need to rotate precisely by 2.5 degrees CCW. How I am supposed to do this simple task in Gimp?

Choose the transform tool, make sure it has Rotation choosen, click into the image. You will get a dialog where you can enter the desired rotation angle.

2. I still didn't figure out how to quickly create my own patterns (this is a simple procedure in Photoshop).

Does this help? http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/tutorials/Tileable_Textures/

3. A Distort tool seems to be missing in Gimp. Correct me if I am wrong.

What exactly is a Distort tool? Using Photoshop terminology doesn't help, perhaps you could explain what such a tool would do?!

Sven

craniac (Steve Crane)
2003-06-10 11:47:15 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

A nice toy

1. Let's say I have this image I need to rotate precisely by 2.5 degrees CCW. How I am supposed to do this simple task in Gimp?

Use the transform tool and set its options to rotation, traditional. Click on the image to initiate a transfrom then type -2.5 into the Angle field of the Rotation Information dialog before clicking Rotate.

2. I still didn't figure out how to quickly create my own patterns (this is a simple procedure in Photoshop).

Save any image you wish to use into your patterns folder with the extension .pat. Open the pattern chooser and click Refresh to load the pattern you have just saved.

3. A Distort tool seems to be missing in Gimp. Correct me if I am wrong. Running Gimp 1.2.3 on a Mandrake Linux box.

Take a look at the Filters|Distorts menu, perhaps it contains what you are looking for.
--
Steve Crane
http://craniac.afraid.org

Henrik Brix Andersen
2003-06-10 11:49:15 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

A nice toy

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 10:18, johnny wrote:

The answer is simple. Use the Transform Tool from the toolbox.

It is a simple procedure in GIMP as well.

Patterns are saved with the .pat extension. To make the pattern available from within gimp-1.2 you should save it to one of the pattern directories (e.g. ~/.gimp-1.2/patterns/ on GNU/Linux)

Did you check the /Filters/Distorts/ menu? Not exactly a tool, but I am not sure what it is exactly you are looking for here...

Sincerely, ./Brix

Jakub Steiner
2003-06-10 13:36:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

A nice toy

On Tue, 2003-06-10 at 10:18, johnny wrote:

I did a quick browse of the Photoshop7tryout and didn't find any distort tool. If you're refering to the free transform functionality it's a perspective tool in Gimp. In 1.2 it's a 'perspective' mode of the transform tool. If you want to transform the paths along with pixels, you need to lock the apropriate path layer in the paths window.

The 1.4 version will be able to transform selections too.

cheers

Jon Winters
2003-06-10 16:34:39 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

A nice toy

On Tue, 10 Jun 2003, johnny wrote:

I think you might be looking for the Interactive Warp tool.

Filters > Distorts > IWarp

The interface is not what you are used to but you'll find it quite capable once you learn how it works.

johnny
2003-06-11 00:49:47 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

A nice toy

Thank you all. Btw I loved the Iwarp distort thing. Also Transform -> Perspective is indeed very similar to the Free Transform Photoshop tool. Migrating from Photoshop to Gimp will be less painfull than I thought :-)