RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

PNG compression level 6 or 9 ?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

PNG compression level 6 or 9 ? David selby 04 Jun 22:31
  PNG compression level 6 or 9 ? Daniel Carrera 04 Jun 22:34
   PNG compression level 6 or 9 ? David selby 06 Jun 23:05
David selby
2003-06-04 22:31:05 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

When saving PNGs gimp defaults to compression level 6. Is there any reason why I should not use compression level 9 ... Is there a reason why this is not the default ?

Dave

Daniel Carrera
2003-06-04 22:34:52 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:31:05PM +0100, David selby wrote:

When saving PNGs gimp defaults to compression level 6. Is there any reason why I should not use compression level 9 ... Is there a reason why this is not the default ?

Dave

I understand that the higher the compression the longer it takes to compress/decompress. So a file compressed more will download faster, but it would take longer to if you were to open them up on a viewer.

I could be wrong though.

David selby
2003-06-06 23:05:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Daniel Carrera wrote:

On Wed, Jun 04, 2003 at 09:31:05PM +0100, David selby wrote:

Dave

I understand that the higher the compression the longer it takes to compress/decompress. So a file compressed more will download faster, but it would take longer to if you were to open them up on a viewer.

I could be wrong though.

This is what I thought, though my (pre-historic) 700MHz PIII, de-compresses in a trice ...
Many thanks
Dave