RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

10 of 10 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Carl-Johan Sveningsson 22 May 22:42
  Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Sven Neumann 22 May 23:58
  Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? BandiPat 23 May 01:43
   Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Carl-Johan Sveningsson 23 May 08:12
    Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Sven Neumann 23 May 12:21
     Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Carl-Johan Sveningsson 23 May 12:36
      Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Sven Neumann 23 May 12:52
       Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Carl-Johan Sveningsson 23 May 13:23
        Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? Sven Neumann 23 May 13:33
    Installing gimp-print after upgrade to 1.2.4? BandiPat 23 May 17:05
Carl-Johan Sveningsson
2003-05-22 22:42:13 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi all,

argh. Why did this happen? As I wanted to upgrade to gimp-1.2.4, I read that I needed to install a seperate gimp-print plugin. Sure, I ripped out the gimp-print rpm I had install and during the process noted a dependency from ghostview/gv.

Now, even after compiling and installing gimp-print from source, seems it won't build the libgimpprint.so, and the installation instructions on this matter feel crappy.

Now gv can't render a single postscript, and I'm really dependant on that. As a temporary solution, I'm reinstalling the rpm, but could someone please tell me how I should have upgraded gimp properly?

Best regards Carl-Johan Sveningsson

Sven Neumann
2003-05-22 23:58:14 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Carl-Johan Sveningsson writes:

argh. Why did this happen? As I wanted to upgrade to gimp-1.2.4, I read that I needed to install a seperate gimp-print plugin. Sure, I ripped out the gimp-print rpm I had install and during the process noted a dependency from ghostview/gv.

Now, even after compiling and installing gimp-print from source, seems it won't build the libgimpprint.so, and the installation instructions on this matter feel crappy.

Which version off gimp-print did you try? The gimp-print people just informed us that the 4.3 development versions won't work with gimp-1.2. You will need gimp-print-4.2.2 or 4.2.3.

Now gv can't render a single postscript, and I'm really dependant on that. As a temporary solution, I'm reinstalling the rpm, but could someone please tell me how I should have upgraded gimp properly?

Well, most distributions ship the needed version of gimp-print since it provides a nice framework for driving inkjet printers. The gimp-print package includes drivers for ghostscript and cups. The dependencies are thus a bit hairy.

Sven

BandiPat
2003-05-23 01:43:14 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Thursday 22 May 2003 16:42, Carl-Johan Sveningsson wrote:

Hi all,

Best regards Carl-Johan Sveningsson

==================
Carl,
If you have a recent version of a Linux distro, your gimp print should have been ok and there was no need to compile that too. Don't take everything literally when you read it, check what you already have first before starting.

As Sven mentioned most newer distributions ship with the gimp-print because it provides such great printing capabilites with CUPS now.

Patrick

Carl-Johan Sveningsson
2003-05-23 08:12:38 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Thu, 22 May 2003, BandiPat wrote:

Carl,
If you have a recent version of a Linux distro, your gimp print should have been ok and there was no need to compile that too. Don't take everything literally when you read it, check what you already have first before starting.

Of course I did, or rather, I decided to upgrade gimp-print from source when gimp complained about not finding it or being a too old version, I don't remember which. (it was gimp-print-4.2.5 I tried to compile)

As Sven mentioned most newer distributions ship with the gimp-print because it provides such great printing capabilites with CUPS now.

Yes, I've understood that now, and I probably should in advance too - but did I understand it correctly that the gimp-prints shipped with distributions are too complex to compile on your own, and if you want for example, gv to work under redhat, you will need the gimp-print rpm anyway? As I understood it, gimp-print readme discouraged from attempts to compile it for ghostscript functionality.

Still I'm wondering, what would have been the correct way of action? Informing gimp of the precense of gimp-print from rpm, and having it compile in the first place?

/CJ

Sven Neumann
2003-05-23 12:21:31 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Still I'm wondering, what would have been the correct way of action? Informing gimp of the precense of gimp-print from rpm, and having it compile in the first place?

I think your problem was that you had gimp-print installed but not the gimp-print-devel package that provides the headers that gimp needs to compile the plug-in.

Sven

Carl-Johan Sveningsson
2003-05-23 12:36:54 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On 23 May 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

I think your problem was that you had gimp-print installed but not the gimp-print-devel package that provides the headers that gimp needs to compile the plug-in.

Ah, that's quite possible! Thank you...

But anyway, I was correct in the assumption that compiling gimp-print to work with gv as it does in the rpm is probably too hairy for most users to be worth the effort?

/CJ

Sven Neumann
2003-05-23 12:52:24 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Well, it's the standard mistake that everyone is doing when trying to install software from source.

But anyway, I was correct in the assumption that compiling gimp-print to work with gv as it does in the rpm is probably too hairy for most users to be worth the effort?

No idea. I didn't try to compile later versions of gimp-print myself. My distribution provides with me with a working package, why should I waste my time trying to compile it from source?

Sven

Carl-Johan Sveningsson
2003-05-23 13:23:15 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On 23 May 2003, Sven Neumann wrote:

Well, it's the standard mistake that everyone is doing when trying to install software from source.

Yes, of course... I didn't think I'd fall for it, but I think gimp complained about 'gimp-print sources' or something, and well, I thought they had to be compiled together...will install -devel now though.

No idea. I didn't try to compile later versions of gimp-print myself. My distribution provides with me with a working package, why should I waste my time trying to compile it from source?

That's the approach I like! Gimp is one of the very few packages I bring myself to compile in order to have the latest version always. Waste of time don't always make things better... and time is valuable.

/CJ - have a life

Sven Neumann
2003-05-23 13:33:56 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

That's the approach I like! Gimp is one of the very few packages I bring myself to compile in order to have the latest version always. Waste of time don't always make things better... and time is valuable.

It shouldn't take long for the distributors to pick up 1.2.4 (or 1.2.5 which we will be releasing shortly).

Sven

BandiPat
2003-05-23 17:05:23 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Friday 23 May 2003 02:12, Carl-Johan Sveningsson included these bytes:

Of course I did, or rather, I decided to upgrade gimp-print from source when gimp complained about not finding it or being a too old version, I don't remember which. (it was gimp-print-4.2.5 I tried to compile)
-----------------------------

Ok, from your earlier mail it sounded as if because the notice mentioned compiling gimp print too, you just naturally assumed it had to be done as well. As only an almost 2 year newbie in Linux, I tend to think of things as a newbie still. ;o)
Sounds like you may have a bit more experience and checked the things you needed too, before starting.
===================

Yes, I've understood that now, and I probably should in advance too - but did I understand it correctly that the gimp-prints shipped with distributions are too complex to compile on your own, and if you want for example, gv to work under redhat, you will need the gimp-print rpm anyway? As I understood it, gimp-print readme discouraged from attempts to compile it for ghostscript functionality.

/CJ

--------------------------------

Ok, therein lies your problem, you are using Redhat! :o)

Only joking, but it sounds like an older version at least. Might have been a good idea to update that first then try to compile the Gimp. I understand all too well about starting a compile and getting errors because you missed a -devel package to install. Little things like that tend to help you learn though. I have gotten to the point I just try to install all the -devel files now though, then you are less likely to have problems later.

Patrick