RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Importing fonts.

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 4 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Importing fonts. John Culleton 17 May 17:27
Importing fonts. Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 20 May 19:28
  Importing fonts. John Culleton 23 May 20:58
Importing fonts. Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 23 May 22:07
John Culleton
2003-05-17 17:27:53 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Importing fonts.

The instructions for installing Freefont in XWindows (and hence Gimp) are clear and work every time. Now I want to add some additional type1 fonts so that I can use them in Gimp. Unfortunately just putting the fonts in the freefont subdirectory and rerunning the steps won't install the new font. I tried add in a line to fonts.dir. Now the font name appears in xfontsel but when I try to access it the entire XWindows session goes a bit bonkers. (I am running Slackware Linux.)

The font in question is called WEBOMintsGD and is a dingbat font. It works ok in pdftex.

John Culleton

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2003-05-20 19:28:20 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Importing fonts.

What version of XFree86 are you running?

Peace....

Tom

John Culleton To: "gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu" Sent by: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.b cc: erkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] Importing fonts. 05/17/03 08:27 AM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

The instructions for installing Freefont in XWindows (and hence Gimp) are clear and work every time. Now I want to add some additional type1 fonts so that I can use them in Gimp. Unfortunately just putting the fonts in the freefont subdirectory and rerunning the steps won't install the new font. I tried add in a line to fonts.dir. Now the font name appears in xfontsel but when I try to access it the entire XWindows session goes a bit bonkers. (I am running Slackware Linux.)

The font in question is called WEBOMintsGD and is a dingbat font. It works ok in pdftex.

John Culleton

John Culleton
2003-05-23 20:58:50 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Importing fonts.

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 01:28 pm, Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

Peace....

Tom

According to the Control Panel I am running: Vendor Release Number 40200000
Version 11.0

Is this the data you were asking me for?

My original question was about using fonts other then the freefont bundle with Gimp.

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2003-05-23 22:07:07 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Importing fonts.

Yes, that was the data I was asking for. The reason I asked your XFree86 release version is that some versions of XFree86 support TrueType fonts "natively" and I've been able to install 100+ Windows fonts in XFree86 and have access to those in Gimp. Some of these fonts appear in the Text Tool. More appear in the Dynamic Text Tool. Just about all of them appear in the Freetype Tool.

A handful of those Windows fonts don't "work" properly or don't appear in the available font list, but the vast majority of them do. I can send you a screen shot of some of the Windows fonts Gimp (1.2.3 and 1.2.4 on Linux) support, if you like. :)

I guess you're running XFree86 4.0.2 and you can find out how to get fonts installed in XFree86 here:

http://www.xfree86.org/4.0.2/fonts.html

If X can "see" the fonts, then Gimp on Linux should be able to access them.

Good luck!

Peace....

Tom

John Culleton cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Importing fonts. 05/23/03 11:58 AM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

On Tuesday 20 May 2003 01:28 pm, Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

Peace....

Tom

According to the Control Panel I am running: Vendor Release Number 40200000
Version 11.0

Is this the data you were asking me for?

My original question was about using fonts other then the freefont bundle with Gimp.
--
John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers