RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Can not open swap file

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Can not open swap file Ralph Gesler 09 May 03:55
  Can not open swap file Sven Neumann 09 May 12:18
   Can not open swap file Carol Spears 09 May 18:30
Ralph Gesler
2003-05-09 03:55:52 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Can not open swap file

I am using Gimp v.1.2.1 on a linux box (2.4.4 kernel) and often get a message stating "Can not open swap file. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN SOON." This message may be repeated up to several hundred times.

My questions are: 1. What is the cause?
2. Is there a configuration option that is not set correctly? 3. Why does the Gimp not use the available swap space?

I could find no reference to this error message in documentation or the FAQs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TIA

Ralph Gesler

Sven Neumann
2003-05-09 12:18:00 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Can not open swap file

Hi,

Ralph Gesler writes:

I am using Gimp v.1.2.1 on a linux box (2.4.4 kernel) and often get a message stating "Can not open swap file. BAD THINGS WILL HAPPEN SOON." This message may be repeated up to several hundred times.

2. Is there a configuration option that is not set correctly? 3. Why does the Gimp not use the available swap space?

I could find no reference to this error message in documentation or the FAQs. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

First of all, please update to GIMP 1.2.3 or even 1.2.4-pre2.

GIMP starts to use a swap file as soon as the configured amount of tile-cache is used. Please check the settings in your ~/.gimp-1.2/gimprc or have a look at the Preferences dialog. Make sure that the directory you configured for swap files is writeable and that there's enough space available on that disk. You should also check that the tile-cache size is set reasonably.

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-05-09 18:30:11 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Can not open swap file

On 2003-05-09 at 1218.00 +0200, Sven Neumann typed this:

Hi,

Ralph Gesler writes:

First of all, please update to GIMP 1.2.3 or even 1.2.4-pre2.

GIMP starts to use a swap file as soon as the configured amount of tile-cache is used. Please check the settings in your ~/.gimp-1.2/gimprc or have a look at the Preferences dialog. Make sure that the directory you configured for swap files is writeable and that there's enough space available on that disk. You should also check that the tile-cache size is set reasonably.

an excellent how to was written about this difficult configuration by GSR here: http://mmmaybe.gimp.org/unix/howtos/tile_cache.html

good luck, this is tough stuff, imo.

carol