RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question on Gimp and Phostoshop

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

13 of 13 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Corrado Topi 08 May 16:25
  Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Sven Neumann 08 May 16:30
   Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Corrado Topi 08 May 17:26
    Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Carol Spears 08 May 18:05
    Question on Gimp and Phostoshop John Culleton 08 May 18:08
     Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Corrado Topi 08 May 18:57
     Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Jakub Steiner 09 May 17:56
      Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Carol Spears 09 May 19:38
      Question on Gimp and Phostoshop John Culleton 09 May 20:03
       Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Sven Neumann 09 May 20:20
       Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Jakub Steiner 09 May 21:15
Question on Gimp and Phostoshop Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 09 May 00:48
  Question on Gimp and Phostoshop zeus 09 May 05:22
Corrado Topi
2003-05-08 16:25:46 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hy all.

I would like to know if it is possible to save in Photoshop format.

If not, it is anyone working on a Photoshop export filter?

We would like to use Gimp here at the University for our courses in Multimedia, but we need this functionality (lecturers, who teach the subject, require this functionality. They are interested in using Open Source.).

I am using Gimp version 1.2.3 on Mandrake 9.1.

Thanks in advance.

Sven Neumann
2003-05-08 16:30:53 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

Corrado Topi writes:

There is a PSD save plug-in available at registry.gimp.org. Latest GIMP-1.3 releases even include this plug-in already.

Sven

Corrado Topi
2003-05-08 17:26:34 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Thank for answering so quickly!

Do you know if there is a rpm of this patch? I have been looking around (rpmseek.com, rpmfind.net, mandrake mirror), and I have not found it ...

On Thursday 08 May 2003 3:30 pm, you wrote:

Hi,

Corrado Topi writes:

There is a PSD save plug-in available at registry.gimp.org. Latest GIMP-1.3 releases even include this plug-in already.

Sven

Carol Spears
2003-05-08 18:05:00 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

prolly there is no patch, and iirc, the version at the registry does not build without some twiddling. i have a binary available. i built this binary on debian woody, sometime ago. maybe it will help:

http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/plug-ins/

carol

On 2003-05-08 at 1626.34 +0100, Corrado Topi typed this:

Do you know if there is a rpm of this patch? I have been looking around (rpmseek.com, rpmfind.net, mandrake mirror), and I have not found it ...

On Thursday 08 May 2003 3:30 pm, you wrote:

Hi,

Corrado Topi writes:

Sven

John Culleton
2003-05-08 18:08:27 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Thursday 08 May 2003 11:26 am, Corrado Topi wrote:

Any Linux system can use files in zip, gzip etc. formats. An RPM wrapper around the zipped file may be a convenience, but certainly is not a necessity. And the plugin in question is probably not even zipped. Just download and install.

It has always perplexed me that those who escape the limitations and expense imposed by commercial software nevertheless feel constrained to download only rpm files. Trust me, the other formats work just fine on your system. They are universal.

John Culleton

Corrado Topi
2003-05-08 18:57:35 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Thanks for the technical explanation. Our system administrators need to have rpm, because they need to install on huge numbers on workstations on networks, and they also need to have a clear map of the packages installed, dependencies versions and finally they need an easy-to-use upgrade/uninstall tool. So rpm/urpmi or dpkg/apt-get.

Did anyone package it in rpm?

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2003-05-09 00:48:48 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Does the current PSD save plug-in support PhotoShop 6 or later PSD files?

Peace...

Tom

Sven Neumann Sent by: To: c.topi@hud.ac.uk gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.b cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu erkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question on Gimp and Phostoshop 05/08/2003 07:30 AM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

Hi,

Corrado Topi writes:

Sven

zeus
2003-05-09 05:22:35 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

I think it's based on PSD 4.0

On Friday 09 May 2003 05:48, Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com wrote:

Does the current PSD save plug-in support PhotoShop 6 or later PSD files?

Peace...

Tom

Sven Neumann Sent by: To: c.topi@hud.ac.uk gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.b cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu erkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question on Gimp and Phostoshop

05/08/2003 07:30 AM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

Hi,

Corrado Topi writes:

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2003-05-09 17:56:30 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

V ?, 08. 05. 2003 v 18:08, John Culleton napsal:

Any Linux system can use files in zip, gzip etc. formats. An RPM wrapper around the zipped file may be a convenience, but certainly is not a necessity. And the plugin in question is probably not even zipped. Just download and install.

It has always perplexed me that those who escape the limitations and expense imposed by commercial software nevertheless feel constrained to download only rpm files. Trust me, the other formats work just fine on your system. They are universal.

Well the difference is that an rpm archive doesn't just hold a bunch of files. It contains dependency information as well. Installing software outside the package database system brings along future dependency problems and makes it hard to track what is installed and what isn't.

However plugins are usually shipped along the core gimp package, I haven't seen a distro that would ship them separately. Searching for a PSD-save plugin rpm is probably not gonna get you anything.

However you can install gimp plugins as a user, to your home directory (~/.gimp-1.2/plugins) which will make box admins happy and you'll get the functionality you need. Just grab the tarball of theplugin from registry.gimp.org and install according to the supplied instructions (or see `man gimptool`).

cheers

Carol Spears
2003-05-09 19:38:05 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On 2003-05-09 at 1756.30 +0200, Jakub Steiner typed this:

Well the difference is that an rpm archive doesn't just hold a bunch of files. It contains dependency information as well. Installing software outside the package database system brings along future dependency problems and makes it hard to track what is installed and what isn't.

However plugins are usually shipped along the core gimp package, I haven't seen a distro that would ship them separately. Searching for a PSD-save plugin rpm is probably not gonna get you anything.

However you can install gimp plugins as a user, to your home directory (~/.gimp-1.2/plugins) which will make box admins happy and you'll get the functionality you need. Just grab the tarball of theplugin from registry.gimp.org and install according to the supplied instructions (or see `man gimptool`).

sometimes you need to ask your software management (like redhat or debian) for the developer version, which contains the gimptool.

"apt-cache search libgimp" i think is the quickest way to find this package with debian. dunno about redhat.

carol

John Culleton
2003-05-09 20:03:27 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

On Friday 09 May 2003 11:56 am, Jakub Steiner wrote:

Dependencies are usually handled when you compile a new package. First one runs ./configure and then make. What value rpm adds to this process I don't know.

I generally can remember that I have Gimp installed. :-) If I want to know the version I can just fire it up and read the splash screen. If I want to know is package foo is installed I can do locate foo or even foo --help. I will find out in a hurry if it is there or not.

Maybe I am living in a dream world but I have been using Linux for many years without any rpm usage (except to unpack an rpm that is not available in any other form.) Slackware has its own package registry but I don't bother with it after initial install.

Agree! I cannot believe that the rpm management tool has so many defenders on the Gimp list, since Gimp itself is not available as an rpm AFAIK.

John C.

Sven Neumann
2003-05-09 20:20:18 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi,

John Culleton writes:

Dependencies are usually handled when you compile a new package. First one runs ./configure and then make. What value rpm adds to this process I don't know.

That is surely the hard way. GIMP has quite a few dependencies that pull in even more dependencies. If you install it from RPM or from a debian package, all these libraries will be installed without you specifying them explicitely. This is a major advantage.

Agree! I cannot believe that the rpm management tool has so many defenders on the Gimp list, since Gimp itself is not available as an rpm AFAIK.

The GIMP developers decided to not try to distribute any binary packages. This is however not because we dislike the idea of package management. We simply lack the resources to build packages for all platforms and all distributions. Distributors can do a better job at building the GIMP packages the users need.

Sven

Jakub Steiner
2003-05-09 21:15:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

V P? 09. 05. 2003 v 20:03, John Culleton napsal:

I apologise to the rest of the list for this last email on this topic although it has little to do with GIMP. I think John is confusing some of the newbies here.

A proper package mangement won't let you remove a package others would depend on. I'm guessing you work on a Slackware distro, otherwise you'd see the distinction between a tarball and a package.

I generally can remember that I have Gimp installed. :-) If I want to know the version I can just fire it up and read the splash screen. If I want to know is package foo is installed I can do locate foo or even foo --help. I will find out in a hurry if it is there or not.

With a package system you can remove a piece of software and be sure no files are left behind. At any point of time you can see what package a particular file you see belongs to. You can ckeck what packages make use of a library. You can install applications without headers and other development cruft a typical user wouldn't need.

All I'm saying rpms,debs and other packages used with a package management software are a different league to source tarballs.

Maybe I am living in a dream world but I have been using Linux for many years without any rpm usage (except to unpack an rpm that is not available in any other form.) Slackware has its own package registry but I don't bother with it after initial install.

There ya go. Folks like you don't see the advantages of a package system and even see it as an unnecersary obstuction. I strongly disagree with you. There are drawbacks, but a proper package management system makes it possible to maintain a clean installation over time.

Almost every linux distribution ships packages of GIMP. There's many rpm and dpkg-based distributions out there.

cheers