RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Adding text to photographs

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Adding text to photographs Bernadette Wagner 06 May 19:38
  Adding text to photographs Daniel Carrera 06 May 19:53
   Adding text to photographs Alf C Stockton 08 May 09:24
    Adding text to photographs Rory Grant 08 May 23:04
Adding text to photographs Will Muir 07 May 01:56
Bernadette Wagner
2003-05-06 19:38:02 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Hi folks,

I'm totally new to this list, so apologies if I inadvertently breech protocol. I'm also quite new to the GIMP, but so far I quite like it.

I've run into a bit of a problem, however. I want to add credits to a series of photographs. I thought I'd add a strip of clear space at the bottom of the image where I could type in the title of the photo and the name of the artist. The GUM suggests downloading a plugin to enable dynamic text, which would be good if I could find it. However, it doesn't help me to add that strip at the bottom of the image. Is there something simple I'm missing here?

I'm running Mandrake 9.1 and I'm not that well-versed in it, but I'm willing and eager to learn.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

B-)

Daniel Carrera
2003-05-06 19:53:25 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

I'm totally new to this list, so apologies if I inadvertently breech protocol. I'm also quite new to the GIMP, but so far I quite like it.

No breach of protocol. This is the right place to ask. :) I'll see if I can help.

I've run into a bit of a problem, however. I want to add credits to a series of photographs. I thought I'd add a strip of clear space at the bottom of the image where I could type in the title of the photo and the name of the artist. The GUM suggests downloading a plugin to enable dynamic text, which would be good if I could find it. However, it doesn't help me to add that strip at the bottom of the image. Is there something simple I'm missing here?

I don't know how experienced you are, so I hope you won't mind if my instructions are too basic, or not basic enough.

From the image:

- Right-click. Select Layers->"Layers, Channels & Paths". A dialog appears.
- On the Layers dialog, click on the bottom left-most buttion (tooltip says "new layer").
- Select "white"
(The new layer should appear on top, so it hides your orignal image). - On the "GIMP" window (not the image window) select the text tool (it's a big T).
- Left-click the image window.
- In the Text tool dialog, type in the text that you want. You can select the font and size. The color will match the current foreground color. It doesn't matter where the text is, we'll move it later.
- Click on the "select rectangular region" tool. - Select a rectangular region around the text of the desired size. This will be your strip.
- Right-click, and select "copy".
- On the "Layers" dialog, click on the "eye" left of the "New Layer". This makes the eye disappear and this new layer disappers. Now you can see your original image again. - On the image window, left-click and paste. - On the Layers dialog, left-click and "new layer". - Now use the "move layers & selections" tool tomove the strip to the place you want it to be. You can find it right below the "select rectangular region tool", it looks like a cross with arrows at the ends and the tooltip says "move layers & selections".

I hope this helps.

Cheers,

Will Muir
2003-05-07 01:56:46 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

I have noticed on this list lately that there seems to be a lot of people that are new to digital art. Just a quick word of friendly advice to all the newbie's out there. That is (layers) learn what they are how to use them, make areas of them transparent, semi-transparent, the different layer types, layer masks and probably a few other things that have to do with them. If had too recommend reading only one part of the manual, it would be the chapter on layers.

Just My .02$ Will

http://willmuir.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Daniel Carrera"
To: "Gimp mailing list"
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2003 11:53 AM Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Adding text to photographs

No breach of protocol. This is the right place to ask. :) I'll see if I can help.

I don't know how experienced you are, so I hope you won't mind if my instructions are too basic, or not basic enough.

From the image:

- On the Layers dialog, click on the bottom left-most buttion (tooltip says "new layer").
- Select "white"
(The new layer should appear on top, so it hides your orignal image). - On the "GIMP" window (not the image window) select the text tool (it's a big T).
- In the Text tool dialog, type in the text that you want. You can select the font and size. The color will match the current foreground color. It doesn't matter where the text is, we'll move it later.
- Click on the "select rectangular region" tool. - Select a rectangular region around the text of the desired size. This will be your strip.
- On the "Layers" dialog, click on the "eye" left of the "New Layer". This makes the eye disappear and this new layer disappers. Now you can see your original image again. - On the image window, left-click and paste. - On the Layers dialog, left-click and "new layer". - Now use the "move layers & selections" tool tomove the strip to the place you want it to be. You can find it right below the "select rectangular region tool", it looks like a cross with arrows at the ends and the tooltip says "move layers & selections".

I hope this helps.

Cheers, --
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant. Math Dept. University of Maryland. (301) 405-5137

Alf C Stockton
2003-05-08 09:24:30 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

The way I have done this in the past is as follows:- Open the original image.
Find its size
Open a new image the same size but make the height the height of the original plus the height of text strip. Select and paste the original image into this new image and move it to the top of that new image.
Select text tool and do the necessary moving the text into the text strip at the bottom of the new image.

This way you leave the original image in a prestine state so that if ever you want to fool with it again you can.

Just my 2c.

---

Regards, Alf Stockton www.stockton.co.za
Certified Linux+ Professional & C Programmer Our OS who art in CPU, UNIX be thy name. Thy programs run, thy syscalls done, In kernel as it is in user!

On Tue, 6 May 2003, Daniel Carrera wrote:

From the image:

- Select "white"

I hope this helps.

Cheers, --
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant. Math Dept. University of Maryland. (301) 405-5137

Rory Grant
2003-05-08 23:04:41 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

Another option:

Ctrl-D to duplicate image

R-click image-->canvas size

click on the chain icon to the right of the X & Y ratio field near the middle of the dialogue box. (this means you can resize the canvas without preserving aspect ratio)

choose a new height dimension & position the original image on the new canvas using the guide at the bottom of the box.

create a new transparent layer with the layers, channels & paths dialogue as described below.

use the text tool to write your caption, then the move tool to reposition the layer you've worked on.

HTH

- Select "white"

- Now use the "move layers & selections" tool tomove the strip to the place you want it to be. You can find it right below the "select rectangular region tool", it looks like a cross with arrows at the ends and the tooltip says "move layers & selections".

I hope this helps.

Cheers, --
Daniel Carrera
Graduate Teaching Assistant. Math Dept. University of Maryland. (301) 405-5137 _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

_______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user