RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

layers

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 7 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

layers Will Muir 30 Apr 01:41
layers Kevin Waterson 30 Apr 02:35
  layers Daniel Carrera 30 Apr 01:53
  layers Eric Pierce 30 Apr 01:54
layers Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 30 Apr 02:58
  layers Eric Pierce 30 Apr 05:27
layers Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com 30 Apr 03:00
Will Muir
2003-04-30 01:41:27 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

layers

Click on the little red square in the lower left hand corner, this is called a quick mask. When the image turns red paint the area you want to cut out with white (white adds to the selection black removes from it I believe) when you are done click the button next to the red one and you have a selection that you can then cut and paste where ever you please.

Will ----- Original Message -----
To:
Sent: Tuesday, April 29, 2003 6:35 PM Subject: [Gimp-user] layers

I wish to lift a person off a background. Is this possible with the gimp?
If so, can someone point me to a tutorial for this?

Kind regards Kevin

--
______
(_____ \
_____) ) ____ ____ ____ ____ | ____/ / _ ) / _ | / ___) / _ ) | | ( (/ / ( ( | |( (___ ( (/ / |_| \____) \_||_| \____) \____) Kevin Waterson
Port Macquarie, Australia

Daniel Carrera
2003-04-30 01:53:57 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

layers

I assure you that it's possible, but I'm not entirely sure of what you are asking. Do you know what layers are?

Go to the Gimp User's Manual: http://manual.gimp.org/manual/GUM/GUM.html (requires Javascript)

Read chapter 20.

If that doesn't help then I've probably misunderstood your question, so write back.

Daniel.

On Wed, Apr 30, 2003 at 10:35:17AM +1000, Kevin Waterson wrote:

Kind regards Kevin

Eric Pierce
2003-04-30 01:54:16 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

layers

I can think of a couple ways.
Here's one:
http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/~jeschke/photography/articles/gimp/SelectiveColorization/ And another:
http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/~jeschke/photography/articles/gimp/SimulatedDOF

In both examples you could just leave off the last layer to achieve the result you're after.

I remove people from backgrounds quite often at work, but to be honest I use yet a third as of yet undisclosed technique. Bezier paths.

Hope that helps. Eric P.

Kind regards Kevin

--
______
(_____ \
_____) ) ____ ____ ____ ____ | ____/ / _ ) / _ | / ___) / _ ) | | ( (/ / ( ( | |( (___ ( (/ / |_| \____) \_||_| \____) \____) Kevin Waterson

Kevin Waterson
2003-04-30 02:35:17 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

layers

Kind regards Kevin

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2003-04-30 02:58:59 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

layers

Is this a gimp 1.3 function? I don't see the "quick mask" button in gimp-1.2.4 for Windows.

Peace....

Tom

"Will Muir" To: Sent by: cc: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.b Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] layers erkeley.edu 04/29/03 04:41 PM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

Click on the little red square in the lower left hand corner, this is called
a quick mask. When the image turns red paint the area you want to cut out with white (white adds to the selection black removes from it I believe) when you are done click the button next to the red one and you have a selection that you can then cut and paste where ever you please.

To:

Kind regards Kevin

--
______
(_____ \

Tom.Williams@diversifiedsoftware.com
2003-04-30 03:00:06 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

layers

I've used Bezier paths as well as the "Intelligent Scissors" tool.

Peace...

Tom

"Eric Pierce" To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Sent by: cc: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.b Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] layers erkeley.edu 04/29/03 04:54 PM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective data center operations."

I can think of a couple ways. Here's one:
http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/~jeschke/photography/articles/gimp/SelectiveColorization/

And another: http://cs.uhh.hawaii.edu/~jeschke/photography/articles/gimp/SimulatedDOF

In both examples you could just leave off the last layer to achieve the result you're after.

I remove people from backgrounds quite often at work, but to be honest I use yet a third as of yet undisclosed technique. Bezier paths.

Hope that helps. Eric P.

Kind regards Kevin

--
______
(_____ \

Eric Pierce
2003-04-30 05:27:49 UTC (almost 21 years ago)

layers

It's there... lower left of your image window. A dotted box (off) and a red box (on).

Is this a gimp 1.3 function? I don't see the "quick mask" button in gimp-1.2.4 for Windows.

Peace....

Tom

"Will Muir" To:

Sent by: cc: gimp-user-bounces@lists.xcf.b Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] layers
erkeley.edu

04/29/03 04:41 PM

"Our mission is to help our clients achieve more cost-effective
data center operations."

Click on the little red square in the lower left hand corner, this is called
a quick mask. When the image turns red paint the area you want to cut out with white (white adds to the selection black removes from it I believe) when you are done click the button next to the red one and you have a selection that you can then cut and paste where ever you please.

To:

Kind regards Kevin

--
______
(_____ \