RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Finding a font

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

7 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Finding a font John Culleton 07 Feb 12:45
20030207200007.3A03C101CC@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  Finding a font Michael J. Hammel 07 Feb 22:34
   Finding a font John Culleton 07 Feb 19:35
    Finding a font Albert Wagner 07 Feb 20:06
     Finding a font Akkana 08 Feb 02:31
     Finding a font John Culleton 09 Feb 14:13
    Finding a font Nat 08 Feb 10:04
John Culleton
2003-02-07 12:45:53 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Finding a font

My directory listing shows this font: /usr/local/gimp-1.2.3/freefont/brushstr.pfb

...but the text tool does not find this or the other freefont files. Any hints on how to correct this?

John Culleton
2003-02-07 19:35:01 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Finding a font

On Friday 07 February 2003 21:34, Michael J. Hammel wrote:

My directory listing shows this font: /usr/local/gimp-1.2.3/freefont/brushstr.pfb but the text tool does not find this or the other freefont files. Any hints on how to correct this?

The text tool in the Toolbox doesn't know about fonts directly - it has to ask either the X Server or xfs (X Font Server, which you may or may not be running).

To get this font known to the Text tool you need to add the directory to the X Server font configuration (see /etc/X11/conf) or the xfs configuration (I can't remember off hand where this is kept - try "man xfs"). Then restart either the X server or xfs. Finally, restart the GIMP.

Hope that helps.

Thanks for your reply. I added the /usr/local/gimp-1.2.3/freefont/ directory to the fs/config file (which points to the one in /etc/X11/fs) and rebooted my entire system. I still get just a minimal set of fonts. So something else is not kosher. I checked permissions etc. but found no problems there. I tried as a regular user and as root.

Any further thoughts?

Albert Wagner
2003-02-07 20:06:45 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Finding a font

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:35:01 +0000 John Culleton wrote:

This is from the README:

Installation for X11 --------------------

1. Change to /usr/X11/lib/fonts

2. untar the archive freefont-0.10.tar.gz

3. Give the following commands to make X11 accept the new fonts

xset fp+ /usr/X11/lib/fonts/freefont xset fp rehash

4. The fonts are available under X11. Check them out by running "xfontsel" for example.

Michael J. Hammel
2003-02-07 22:34:54 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Finding a font

My directory listing shows this font: /usr/local/gimp-1.2.3/freefont/brushstr.pfb but the text tool does not find this or the other freefont files. Any hints on how to correct this?

The text tool in the Toolbox doesn't know about fonts directly - it has to ask either the X Server or xfs (X Font Server, which you may or may not be running).

To get this font known to the Text tool you need to add the directory to the X Server font configuration (see /etc/X11/conf) or the xfs configuration (I can't remember off hand where this is kept - try "man xfs"). Then restart either the X server or xfs. Finally, restart the GIMP.

Hope that helps.

Akkana
2003-02-08 02:31:02 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Finding a font

Albert Wagner writes:

This is from the README:

I found that not very helpful on my redhat system (which uses XFS).

I filed a bug with suggested steps for systems that use XFS: http://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=84912

I don't know who owns those packages, or what it takes to get the README changed. Anyone know?

...Akkana

Nat
2003-02-08 10:04:55 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Finding a font

Hi,

By mistake I sent this reply to John Culleton and I forgot a cc to the list.

I've written a (rather long) file on how to install fonts - Type 1 & TrueType -.

If you want I can e-mail it to you.

File formats:

HTML StarWriter 5.0

Nat

========= Some more info:

It took me months to figure out, either the fonts displayed ok, but they were printed like rubbish, or the other way round. Then there was the problem of scaling fonts in Netscape, printing higher ascii in StarOffice...

I used several existing docs and HOWTOs, installed, removed and reinstalled, and finally got it right

I don't have a website so I cannot include a link, but whoever wants to try my solution ... just ask and I'll send the file.

The HTML file is 14k, the StarWriter file is 51k

Nat

John Culleton
2003-02-09 14:13:00 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Finding a font

On Friday 07 February 2003 19:06, Albert Wagner wrote:

On Fri, 7 Feb 2003 18:35:01 +0000 John Culleton wrote:

This is from the README:

4. The fonts are available under X11. Check them out by running "xfontsel" for example. _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

OK that worked. I apparently did all that some time before when I installed Gimp but ultimately lost access to the fonts somehow. Thanks to all who responded.