RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Unable to seek to tile location?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Unable to seek to tile location? Jenny Drake 28 Jan 11:37
Unable to seek to tile location? Jenny Drake 28 Jan 12:45
Unable to seek to tile location? Zeus 29 Jan 02:40
Jenny Drake
2003-01-28 11:37:05 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Hi all,
I have to problems with the gimp at the moment. I'll put the second in another message as its a little more complicated to explain.

I'm working with large images, 14764 by 2953 pixels. Yes they do need to be this big. The machine used for the work has 1GB of RAM and a 1.9GHz Athlon processor. The number of undo levels in the gimp is set to three. Tile cache size is set to 512MB. Typical projects have two or three layers at any one time. After a while working I get the following gimp error messages after I tell it to do something. This message repeats often many times. The message box has an OK check.

"unable to seek to tile location on disk: 22 Message repeated ** times"

The command I've given gets carried out and nothing appears obviously wrong with the image after this message comes up. Watching the resource usage by the gimp shows that memory usage is a little over 50% when this message starts to occur. Is this a ram problem, a hard disk one, or something else?

I've been unable to find anything about this message in the documentation, or from a web search. Any idea what it means? The best way of preventing it?

Jen

Jenny Drake
2003-01-28 12:45:37 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Try to change your temp directory to other partition with more free space, and check in ~/.gimpx.x/folder
and find a file called gimpswap. just, delete the files. and restart gimp.

Hi Zeus,
/.gimp-1.2 is in my home directory and the home partition currently has 43GB
free. This should be more than enough I reckon. The gimpswap.12359 file is currently 91.4MB. Is there something else that can artificially limit the size to which the swap can grow?

Best regards, Jenny

The message tells you that gimp cannot write to the swap because the home partition it's full.

hope it's help

Zeus
2003-01-29 02:40:15 UTC (about 21 years ago)

Jenny Drake wrote:

Hi all,
I have to problems with the gimp at the moment. I'll put the second in another message as its a little more complicated to explain.

I'm working with large images, 14764 by 2953 pixels. Yes they do need to be this big. The machine used for the work has 1GB of RAM and a 1.9GHz Athlon processor. The number of undo levels in the gimp is set to three. Tile cache size is set to 512MB. Typical projects have two or three layers at any one time. After a while working I get the following gimp error messages after I tell it to do something. This message repeats often many times. The message box has an OK check.

"unable to seek to tile location on disk: 22 Message repeated ** times"

The command I've given gets carried out and nothing appears obviously wrong with the image after this message comes up. Watching the resource usage by the gimp shows that memory usage is a little over 50% when this message starts to occur. Is this a ram problem, a hard disk one, or something else?

I've been unable to find anything about this message in the documentation, or from a web search. Any idea what it means? The best way of preventing it?

Try to change your temp directory to other partition with more free space, and check in ~/.gimpx.x/folder
and find a file called gimpswap. just, delete the files. and restart gimp.

The message tells you that gimp cannot write to the swap because the home partition it's full.

hope it's help