RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

rgb to cymk

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

6 of 6 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

rgb to cymk sam ende 25 Dec 03:36
  rgb to cymk John Culleton 25 Dec 12:58
rgb to cymk Niklas 26 Dec 02:17
rgb to cymk zeus 26 Dec 14:40
  rgb to cymk John Culleton 26 Dec 09:53
rgb to cymk zeus 27 Dec 05:06
sam ende
2002-12-25 03:36:16 UTC (over 21 years ago)

rgb to cymk

i need to convert an xcf)from rgb to a cymk tif (for commercial printing) image, how do i do this best ?

thanks

sammi

John Culleton
2002-12-25 12:58:19 UTC (over 21 years ago)

rgb to cymk

On Wednesday 25 December 2002 02:36, sam ende wrote:

i need to convert an xcf)from rgb to a cymk tif (for commercial printing) image, how do i do this best ?

thanks

sammi _______________________________________________ Gimp-user mailing list
Gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
http://lists.xcf.berkeley.edu/mailman/listinfo/gimp-user

There is a free program pnmtotiffcmyk in the pbm pack of conversion programs. Save your gimp image as pnm first of course.

When I used it on a photo the colors were a bit duller.

Niklas
2002-12-26 02:17:14 UTC (over 21 years ago)

rgb to cymk

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 14:40, zeus wrote:

Iam also intrested on usiong gimp as printing graphic soft. Where i

can

find pbm or pnm. And how to do it.

I can not wait untill 2010 to wait gimp supporting CMYK, if GIMP want

to

beat PS, the first target is supporting CMYK.

I don't think that the main idea of GIMP is to beat any other application. And also you didn't really read the whole mail did you?

He said j-o-k-e.....

But it will take time to do this things even though you might think it is easy it is not. You have to give things like this time.

And next time read the whole mail and don't read between the lines. What I think he tries to say is that there is no actual date for anything right now.

Regards

John Culleton
2002-12-26 09:53:55 UTC (over 21 years ago)

rgb to cymk

On Thursday 26 December 2002 13:40, zeus wrote:

John Culleton wrote:

thanks

There is a free program pnmtotiffcmyk in the pbm pack of conversion programs. Save your gimp image as pnm first of course.

Iam also intrested on usiong gimp as printing graphic soft. Where i can find pbm or pnm. And how to do it.

From my previous reply:
--------------------
The two programs mentioned above by Roland are part of the netpbm package
available on sourceforge.net. netpbm replaces some older utilities found in the pbmplus package.
-------------------
The programs come with Man pages. and there is some online help.

You are correct: CMYK capability will break down a big barrier and they are correct: this is not a trivial task. Jokes or no jokes, it is important to keep this objective at the front of the development effort. Ultimately we hope to be able to load, manipulate, save and separate CMYK images. The problem with conversion programs is color balance. CMYK has a more limited gamut than other formats. So when you convert the colors shift. To correct this shift one has to work more or less blind in some other form, like RGB.

As a stopgap a color correction feature that distorts an RGB image so that it uses the limited gamut of a corresponding CMYK image might be useful. I don't know about the technical practicalities of this however.

My thanks of course to the developer community that makes this at least a future dream if not a present reality.

HTH

zeus
2002-12-26 14:40:56 UTC (over 21 years ago)

rgb to cymk

John Culleton wrote:

thanks

Iam also intrested on usiong gimp as printing graphic soft. Where i can find pbm or pnm. And how to do it.

I can not wait untill 2010 to wait gimp supporting CMYK, if GIMP want to beat PS, the first target is supporting CMYK.

zeus
2002-12-27 05:06:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

rgb to cymk

Niklas wrote:

On Thu, 2002-12-26 at 14:40, zeus wrote:

Iam also intrested on usiong gimp as printing graphic soft. Where i

can

find pbm or pnm. And how to do it.

I can not wait untill 2010 to wait gimp supporting CMYK, if GIMP want

to

beat PS, the first target is supporting CMYK.

I don't think that the main idea of GIMP is to beat any other application. And also you didn't really read the whole mail did you?

He said j-o-k-e.....

But it will take time to do this things even though you might think it is easy it is not. You have to give things like this time.

And next time read the whole mail and don't read between the lines. What I think he tries to say is that there is no actual date for anything right now.

Regards

Ahhaha it's my mistake, i know it was a joke, but i forget to tell you guys, that i also didn't very serious when telling that gimp beat other applications (f.e PS). I like GIMP a lot, in fact right now iam making a manga (japanese comic) using gimp, since it's only use grayscale mode. I dont have to worry about gamut or CMYK color corection.

If i want to making color illustration, i switch into W$ and run PS. Since it's faster coloring in PS, for printing only. If making color illustration for screen some time usin GIMP (linux).

OK, my apologize, if some one affense what i was said. But, it would be great if GIMP support CMYK (hehehe :) ), but i can wait......and pray, coz i can't help. I am not a apps programer. hehehe ;)

GIMP = Great Image Manipulation n Perfect