RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

help with palettes

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

help with palettes Thomi Richards 14 Nov 01:16
  help with palettes Carol Spears 14 Nov 01:43
Thomi Richards
2002-11-14 01:16:21 UTC (over 21 years ago)

help with palettes

Hey,

I have a small problem:

I have an image, which is in a special 256 color palette, and another image which is in true color. I want to convert the true color image to the 256 color image, with some sort of error correction. I thought i could do it myself, using python and the Python Imaging Library, but it's proving to be harder than i expected.

Paint Shop Pro can do this in windoze, so surely the GIMP can do it? I'd much rather never boot windoze, but this is one of the few jobs which i cannot yet do in linux. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.

Carol Spears
2002-11-14 01:43:28 UTC (over 21 years ago)

help with palettes

hello,

this is actually fairly easy to do. index the image (Image-->Mode-->Indexed) and use the palette that you want from that dialog.

if you need to grab the palette from another image, it is a bit more complicated. i wrote a tutorial about it here: http://carol.gimp.org/gimp/palettes/howto.html

hope this helps :)

carol On 2002-11-14 at 1316.21 +1300, Thomi Richards typed this:

Hey,

I have a small problem:

I have an image, which is in a special 256 color palette, and another image which is in true color. I want to convert the true color image to the 256 color image, with some sort of error correction. I thought i could do it myself, using python and the Python Imaging Library, but it's proving to be harder than i expected.

Paint Shop Pro can do this in windoze, so surely the GIMP can do it? I'd much rather never boot windoze, but this is one of the few jobs which i cannot yet do in linux. Any ideas or help would be much appreciated,

Thanks.