RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

mimicking gnome desktop feature

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

mimicking gnome desktop feature Cruz, John J 29 Oct 20:02
  mimicking gnome desktop feature Mark Drummond 29 Oct 20:18
   mimicking gnome desktop feature Mark Drummond 29 Oct 20:28
mimicking gnome desktop feature Mark Drummond 29 Oct 20:03
  mimicking gnome desktop feature Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 29 Oct 20:09
Cruz, John J
2002-10-29 20:02:43 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Is the same as right clicking on the mouse to change the image? john

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Drummond [mailto:mark.drummond@sun.com] Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 2:03 PM To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] mimicking gnome desktop feature

Hi all,

The gnome desktop background config widget lets you (used to let you? I don't see it in my gnome control center any more) take an image and blend it into your background with a "hammered out" look. Sorry, I cannot explain it better.

I want to mimic that effect with the gimp. I have a desktop background and I would like to blend a photo into the background. The idea is for the photo to have that hammered out (like an image made of hammered out copper) look using the existing background color.

Any ideas?

Mark Drummond
2002-10-29 20:03:22 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi all,

The gnome desktop background config widget lets you (used to let you? I don't see it in my gnome control center any more) take an image and blend it into your background with a "hammered out" look. Sorry, I cannot explain it better.

I want to mimic that effect with the gimp. I have a desktop background and I would like to blend a photo into the background. The idea is for the photo to have that hammered out (like an image made of hammered out copper) look using the existing background color.

Any ideas?

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-10-29 20:09:47 UTC (over 21 years ago)

mark.drummond@sun.com (2002-10-29 at 1403.22 -0500):

Try bumpmap or lightining effects (this last one is a pain).

GSR

Mark Drummond
2002-10-29 20:18:45 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Nope. Maybe I can explain better. I created a desktop wallpaper for myself using the gimp. It is saved as an xcf file for further editing, and as a jpg for actual use.

The machine I am doing this on is a Sun box using CDE. I use xv to set the desktop wallpaper.

I want to make an addition to the wallpaper I created. Specifically, I want to take a photographic image and incorporate it into the wallpaper. That is easy enough, just add a layer to my xcf file with the photo in it, but it is the particular visual effect I want that has me lost.

The effect I want is that of hammered out metal. You may have seen artistic works made of hammered out copper sheeting. That is the effect I want (but using the color of my wallpaper) which visually gives you a "hammered out 3 dimensional" view of the photograph.

Mark

Cruz, John J wrote:

-----Original Message----- From: Mark Drummond [mailto:mark.drummond@sun.com] Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 2:03 PM To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: [Gimp-user] mimicking gnome desktop feature

Hi all,

Any ideas?

Mark Drummond
2002-10-29 20:28:45 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Excuse me while I slap myself ... must need more coffee. The effect I was looking for was embossing.

Mark Drummond wrote:

Nope. Maybe I can explain better. I created a desktop wallpaper for myself using the gimp. It is saved as an xcf file for further editing, and as a jpg for actual use.

The machine I am doing this on is a Sun box using CDE. I use xv to set the desktop wallpaper.

I want to make an addition to the wallpaper I created. Specifically, I want to take a photographic image and incorporate it into the wallpaper. That is easy enough, just add a layer to my xcf file with the photo in it, but it is the particular visual effect I want that has me lost.

The effect I want is that of hammered out metal. You may have seen artistic works made of hammered out copper sheeting. That is the effect I want (but using the color of my wallpaper) which visually gives you a "hammered out 3 dimensional" view of the photograph.

Mark

Cruz, John J wrote:

Hi all,

Any ideas?