RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Gimp and CMYK &DTP

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

3 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Gimp and CMYK &DTP <a.pumeper@gazeta.pl> 29 Oct 07:50
  Gimp and CMYK &DTP John Culleton 29 Oct 15:23
   Gimp and CMYK &DTP Patrick 29 Oct 21:13
<a.pumeper@gazeta.pl>
2002-10-29 07:50:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Gimp and CMYK &DTP

I want to use Gimp for work on photo files(.tiff) and I have a question what about CMYK mode in Gimp ? How can I make me sure that my photo will be good when it will be printed in magazine ? I want to give my work to a profesional print office and they say : You must work in CMYK mode( like in Photoshop) or have a CMYK preview. How can it be done in Gimp ? Please, help me
APU

------------ R E K L A M A ------------ Najwa?niejsze wypowiedzi najwa?niejszych ludzi! Codziennie w Twoim telefonie komórkowym, wybrane przez dziennikarzy Gazety Wyborczej CYTATY DNIA. Zobacz: http://www.gazeta.pl/politycy/

John Culleton
2002-10-29 15:23:26 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Gimp and CMYK &DTP

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 01:50 am, a.pumeper@gazeta.pl wrote:

I want to use Gimp for work on photo files(.tiff) and I have a question what about CMYK mode in Gimp ? How can I make me sure that my photo will be good when it will be printed in magazine ? I want to give my work to a profesional print office and they say : You must work in CMYK mode( like in Photoshop) or have a CMYK preview. How can it be done in Gimp ? Please, help me APU

Patrick
2002-10-29 21:13:55 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Gimp and CMYK &DTP

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 09:23, John Culleton wrote:

On Tuesday 29 October 2002 01:50 am, a.pumeper@gazeta.pl wrote:

I want to use Gimp for work on photo files(.tiff) and I have a question what about CMYK mode in Gimp ? How can I make me sure that my photo will be good when it will be printed in magazine ? I want to give my work to a profesional print office and they say : You must work in CMYK mode( like in Photoshop) or have a CMYK preview. How can it be done in Gimp ? Please, help me APU

--

You can't, and this is the major shortcoming of Gimp. It is possible to convert to CMYK at the end of the process, but given the difference in gamut between the RGB and CMYK versions of the same image the quality of the result can be best described as uncertain. In an earlier post I discussed the program pnmtotiffcmyk which will indeed create a cmyk version of the file. However the colors do shift. This is especially problematic in photos of people involving flesh tones.

The Gimp manual addresses this issue in chapter 13.

John Culleton Able Indexers and Typesetters, Rowse Reviews, Culleton Editorial Services
http://wexfordpress.com

=======================

We might also mention that this the fault of Adobe and not the Gimp programmers. I believe Adobe owns the right to this process and has been very reluctant to release any rights to it. I think the Gimp programmers or others have tried and continue to work on ways around this limitation as John pointed out here. Although Gimp doesn't provide the simplest process of doing CMYK, it can do it in most respects. Like the old saying though, you kinda have to go around the elbow to get to the hand. :o)

Hopefully a solution to the CMYK seperation problem will be forthcoming in a later version of Gimp, because that seems to be it's only weak point at the moment for most professional users.

Patrick Magic Page Products