RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Text on a curved line?

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Text on a curved line? Paul Thomas 07 Oct 10:16
Text on a curved line? Walker, Sam 07 Oct 14:37
  Text on a curved line? Akkana 10 Oct 06:59
   Text on a curved line? Hans - Walter Gardt 10 Oct 22:32
Text on a curved line? Geoffrey 11 Oct 03:00
Paul Thomas
2002-10-07 10:16:37 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Text on a curved line?

Hi,

I'm running and older Gimp (I know, I have to upgrade), but I was wondering if Gimp can put text on a curved line. I need to have some text around the outside of a circular image.

Thanks,

--Paul

-- William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass of the universe seems to be missing."

Walker, Sam
2002-10-07 14:37:34 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Text on a curved line?

My version of GIMP, 1.2.3, has a Script Fu->Logos->Text Circle plugin, that creates text in a circle.

Regards, Sam

-----Original Message----- From: Paul Thomas [mailto:paul@cuenet.com] Sent: Monday, October 07, 2002 3:17 AM To: gimp-user@XCF.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: [Gimp-user] Text on a curved line?

Hi,

I'm running and older Gimp (I know, I have to upgrade), but I was wondering if Gimp can put text on a curved line. I need to have some text around the outside of a circular image.

Thanks,

--Paul

-- William J. Broad: "The crux... is that the vast majority of the mass of the universe seems to be missing."

Akkana
2002-10-10 06:59:59 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Text on a curved line?

Paul Thomas writes:

was wondering if Gimp can put text on a curved line. I need to have some text around the outside of a circular image.

Walker, Sam writes:

My version of GIMP, 1.2.3, has a Script Fu->Logos->Text Circle plugin, that creates text in a circle.

Wow, I don't even have a Logos section in Script Fu, in either 1.2.3 (RH73 RPM) or 1.2.4 (from tarball). I wonder what else I'm missing? Anyone know where to get Text Circle?

Anyway, I didn't have anything that did this, and I wanted it for CD labels, so I wrote Arclayer (it bends the current layer in an upper or lower arc of a given radius). It was also an excuse to play with python, so I wrote it as a python plugin; eventually I may translate it to C, but I haven't had time, so for now you have to install gimp-python, http://www.daa.com.au/~james/pygimp/ (in 1.3 it's included, I believe).

Arclayer has a few bugs (some extra pixels scattered around that you have to clean up) so I haven't put it in the plugin registry or anything, but you're welcome to try it: http://shallowsky.com/software/arclayer.py

It combines nicely with a CD template plugin: http://shallowsky.com/software/CDlabel.py

Anyone know a way to bring up the gimp-print plugin with pre-initialized values for offsets and scale? That would make CD labels a lot easier.

...Akkana

Hans - Walter Gardt
2002-10-10 22:32:53 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Text on a curved line?

Paul Thomas writes:

was wondering if Gimp can put text on a curved line. I need to have some text around the outside of a circular image.

Walker, Sam writes:

Wow, I don't even have a Logos section in Script Fu, in either 1.2.3 (RH73 RPM) or 1.2.4 (from tarball). I wonder what else I'm missing? Anyone know where to get Text Circle?

I use GIMP 1.2.2. The Text Circle Plugin is in the Logos Section of Script Fu. In the Main window you find it under XTNS, not in the Context Menue of the picture.

Hope I could help you.

Geoffrey
2002-10-11 03:00:51 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Text on a curved line?

Using 1.2.3 I found something just this evening that I used to curve some text. It's under filters->distorts->curvebend

Basically, you create the curve you want by adjusting the points on the grid. Worked well. Unliklely you could do a complete circle. To curve text you need to adjust upper and lower. If you do, say just the upper, then you get text that grows towards the center, while the base stays flat. I hope that makes sense.

Hans - Walter Gardt wrote:

Paul Thomas writes:

Walker, Sam writes:

I use GIMP 1.2.2. The Text Circle Plugin is in the Logos Section of Script Fu. In the Main window you find it under XTNS, not in the Context Menue of the picture.

Hope I could help you.