RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question about font rendering between GIMP on Linux vs GIMP on Win32

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Tom Williams
2002-08-06 08:04:24 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi! When I use Script-FU to make logos using GIMP on Win32, the logos always look much BETTER than they do using GIMP on Linux (at least my installation).

Attached are samples of what I'm talking about.

Any ideas? I'm using GIMP 1.2.3 on both platforms: Windows NT 4.0 SP6 and Linux 2.4.19 w/ glibc-2.25, glib/gtk+-1.2.10 and glib/gtk+-2.0.6.

Thanks...

Peace......

Tom

Geoffrey
2002-08-06 13:46:56 UTC (over 21 years ago)

It appears that your fonts are not anti-aliased on Linux.

Next time, give us a link to a url rather than send attachments like that, that was one hell of an email, particularily for folks with dial up connectivity...

Tom Williams wrote:

Hi! When I use Script-FU to make logos using GIMP on Win32, the logos always look much BETTER than they do using GIMP on Linux (at least my installation).

Any ideas? I'm using GIMP 1.2.3 on both platforms: Windows NT 4.0 SP6 and Linux 2.4.19 w/ glibc-2.25, glib/gtk+-1.2.10 and glib/gtk+-2.0.6.

Thanks...

Peace......

Tom

Walker, Sam
2002-08-06 14:43:58 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Question about font rendering between GIMP on Lin ux vs GIMP on Win32

I've seen this on my linux box too, but only for certain fonts. Some look good and some look bad.
I thought it had something to do with the type of font (Bitmap, Type 1, TrueType, etc) it is, and that some font types scale nicely while others look blocky, like it is formatted to only be rendered in one size and if you increase the size it gets blocky.
Most fonts in windows are TrueType, which are scalable.

Do all the linux fonts look this way?

Regards, Sam
-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey [mailto:esoteric@3times25.net] Sent: Tuesday, August 06, 2002 6:47 AM To: tomdkat@attbi.com
Cc: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Question about font rendering between GIMP on Linux vs GIMP on Win32

It appears that your fonts are not anti-aliased on Linux.

Next time, give us a link to a url rather than send attachments like that, that was one hell of an email, particularily for folks with dial up connectivity...

Tom Williams wrote:

Thanks...

Peace......

Tom

Dante
2002-08-06 19:06:48 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Try checking manual/website before asking... This case is described on GIMP website. You can download TrueType fonts from there, too.

http://www.gimp.org/fonts.html

Dante