RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

new to list

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

4 of 5 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

New to list mercy ukonline 16 Jul 23:17
  New to list Patrick 17 Jul 01:32
   New to list Akkana 17 Jul 06:40
20020717190107.372AD1F07F@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  new to list Denis McCauley 18 Jul 01:15
mercy ukonline
2002-07-16 23:17:58 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New to list

Hello :)

I'm new to this list & to linux.

I'm really excited about learning more about Gimp. I used to use Paint Shop Pro in windows like it was going out of style :)

Now, i find myself in a foreign program, trying to figure out how to do the same things I did in PSP. It is rather straight forward, but I admit - I miss my plugins! :)

I have read that filter factory plugins do work with gimp. Can someone direct me to a howto page for installing them for use in gimp? I'm not sure how to do that...

I look forward to getting to know everyone, and the Gimp :)

Mercy

Patrick
2002-07-17 01:32:22 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New to list

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 17:17, mercy ukonline wrote:

I'm really excited about learning more about Gimp. I used to use Paint Shop Pro in windows like it was going out of style :)

Now, i find myself in a foreign program, trying to figure out how to do the same things I did in PSP. It is rather straight forward, but I admit - I miss my plugins! :)

I have read that filter factory plugins do work with gimp. Can someone direct me to a howto page for installing them for use in gimp? I'm not sure how to do that...

Mercy

==================
Welcome Mercy,

I believe you will find Gimp & Linux to be a very big step forward in your graphics & operating system use. Gimp has many plugins already that might suit your needs without looking for PSP types to add in. I am not familar with that, so cannot assure you of that fact. One of the more learned Gimpers here can probably help you more there. Don't know what distribution of Linux you are running, but you may find a program or two that works much the same as your PSP, there are several for you to choose from there. Gimp is more on the Photoshop level, so if you are familar with that, the transition should be much easier and if not, then there are a couple of good books on Gimp available from sources like Linux Central.

Your Linux distro should have included Grokking the Gimp, at least our SuSE Linux does. I have seen someone else mention another good book also, but the name escapes me now. Grokking can be called up just like any other program, there are tutorials and you can even print it out if you like or the book is available, if you don't want to do either of those! Gook Luck on your quest! :o)

Patrick

Akkana
2002-07-17 06:40:06 UTC (over 21 years ago)

New to list

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 17:17, mercy ukonline wrote:

Patrick writes:

I believe you will find Gimp & Linux to be a very big step forward in your graphics & operating system use. Gimp has many plugins already

[ ... ]

Your Linux distro should have included Grokking the Gimp, at least our

I also came to gimp from Paintshop Pro (and had used Photoshop LE a little). PSP has a very intuitive and simple interface -- mainly because it doesn't have that many options and you don't need to use layers to do anything. When I started using gimp more, I was frustrated at having to do what seemed like extra steps, and at having all those extra windows (like the layers dialog) cluttering the screen, and at things sometimes not working (because I had the wrong layer selected). Well, okay, sometimes I still get frustrated by that. :-)

Grokking the Gimp (online at gimp-savvy.com) was what finally changed my mind -- I followed a few of the projects in the online book and started to realize how much more I could do with the gimp, and then ordered the book and read it and now I can't imagine how I ever got by without having flexible Levels dialogs and at least four layers in every image. :-) The tutorials on gimp.org and carol.gimp.org are also helpful.

I never used PSP plugins, so I can't compare them to gimp plugins, but certainly there are lots of gimp plugins so it's worth spending some time exploring the menus.

know what distribution of Linux you are running, but you may find a program or two that works much the same as your PSP, there are several

I haven't seen one. I have used xv for simple things (crop/resize or dark/light) but its user interface isn't particularly intuitive or modern. There are lots of image viewing programs around, but my guess is that most developers figure the gimp is too much competition and nobody really wants a medium-sized image editing program; better to channel that energy into improving the gimp.

...Akkana

Denis McCauley
2002-07-18 01:15:41 UTC (over 21 years ago)

new to list

At 12:01 16/07/02 -0700, mercy ukonline wrote:

Mercy

Hi Mercy,
Welcome to the Gimping community.
Filter factory plugins will not work in the Linux version of Gimp, but only in the Windows version; these plugins are, after all, binaries coded for Windows! If you are looking for special effects, there are several in the "Filters" menu and more yet in the "Script fu" menu. You can spend days checking out all the possibilities and you will find some of the things you did with PS/PSP plugins, but more importantly you will find things you could not do. Also, check out different Gimp sites (official and non-official) and you will find a number of tutorials on creating special effects. If you still can't find what you are looking for, pose the question to the list; there are several high-power Gimp users here who will give you some help.

Cheers Denis McCauley

http://ata-tenui.ifrance.com