RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Question about GIMP 1.2.3 (or GIMP 1.3.7) and perl 5.8.0-RC1

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

1 of 1 message available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Question about GIMP 1.2.3 (or GIMP 1.3.7) and perl 5.8.0-RC1 Tom Williams 08 Jul 08:45
Tom Williams
2002-07-08 08:45:28 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Question about GIMP 1.2.3 (or GIMP 1.3.7) and perl 5.8.0-RC1

Hi! Ok, I have gcc-3.1.1 (20020701 snapshot) installed on my Slackware Linux 8.0 system and perl 5.6.1 will NOT build "out of the box" with gcc-3.1, but perl 5.8.0 will. So, I installed perl 5.8.0-RC1 and then built gimp-1.2.3 and gimp-1.3.7.

I'm still encountering problems with gimp hanging X when I use certain features, mainly Script-Fu features (like making logos from Xtns->Script-Fu->Logos or using Perl-o-tine which uses Script-Fu and perl).

I gimp-1.2.3 or gimp-1.3.7 compatible with perl 5.8.0? I'm wondering if this is part of my instability problem. Most recently, when I use "Perl-o-tine" to "carve up" an image for a web page, I will see one or two windows from Perl-o-tine doing it's thing then desktop hangs. My mouse pointer still moves, but I can't click anything. Ctrl-Alt-F1 can be used to swtich to a console session that I can ue to kill gimp, but the ONLY way to get control back is to send a "HUP" to X, which resets everything. I'm running XFree86 4.2.0 with a NEW GeForce2 MX-200 PCI video card w/ 32 MB of RAM. I'm running on a Pentium II 350 MHz w/ 196 MB of RAM.

I'm not sure when the "stable" version of perl 5.8.0 will be released and I would like to know if the gimp is compatible with this version of perl...

Thanks! :)

Peace....

Tom