RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Re Filling on a transparent background

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 3 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

20020706190103.9731D1F04B@l... 07 Oct 20:15
  Re Filling on a transparent background Denis McCauley 07 Jul 20:38
   Re Filling on a transparent background Karl Auer 07 Jul 23:17
Denis McCauley
2002-07-07 20:38:45 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

At 12:01 06/07/02 -0700, Karl Auer wrote:

Date: Sat, 6 Jul 2002 11:17:33 +0200 From: Karl Auer
To: GIMP user
Organization: Biplane Software
Subject: [Gimp-user] Filling on a transparent background

I have a closed outline on an otherwise transparent layer. I want to fill the area inside the outline, but not the area outside the outline. More accurately, I want to achieve the *effect* of a filled outline surrounded by transparency - it doesn't have to happen on the layer with the outline :-)

Using the fill tool, I can only fill inside the outline if the outline is on a white or black layer. Using "sample merged" in the fill tool, I can create a filled shape on a lower white or black layer too, of course. It is as if the fill tool can only work on non-transparent points. Switching "keep trans" off on the layer to be filled doesn't make a difference.

I don't know any graphic program which will fill transparent regions

If I could start with a white or black layer, fill inside the outline with my chosen pattern, then fill outside the outline with transparency, that would solve the problem too. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to fill an area with transparency, only with a colour.

Just cut and paste your outline onto a colored background, select the interior of your outline with the
magic wand then fill with whatever color or pattern you want. Now, add an alpha channel to the
image, select the exterior of your outline with the magic wand and "edit > cut".

Cheers
Denis McCauley

Karl Auer
2002-07-07 23:17:51 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

I wrote:

I have a closed outline on an otherwise transparent layer. I want to fill the area inside the outline, but not the area outside the outline.

"Denis McCauley" wrote:

Just cut and paste your outline onto a colored background, select the interior of your outline with the magic wand then fill with whatever color or pattern you want. Now, add an alpha channel to the image, select the exterior of your outline with the magic wand and "edit cut".

Sounds good. Here's what another person sent (thanks Nigel):

Place a white layer underneath - return to the transparent layer - double click fill tool; turn on sample merged and set MODE to BEHIND, will probably need to push threshold up as well, then fill.

It worked well.

Regards, K.

-- ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +41-43-2660706 (h) http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +41- 1-6327531 (w)