RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Filling on a transparent background

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

2 of 2 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Filling on a transparent background Karl Auer 06 Jul 11:17
Filling on a transparent background nigel 06 Jul 11:42
Karl Auer
2002-07-06 11:17:33 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hi there.

I have a closed outline on an otherwise transparent layer. I want to fill the area inside the outline, but not the area outside the outline. More accurately, I want to achieve the *effect* of a filled outline surrounded by transparency - it doesn't have to happen on the layer with the outline :-)

Using the fill tool, I can only fill inside the outline if the outline is on a white or black layer. Using "sample merged" in the fill tool, I can create a filled shape on a lower white or black layer too, of course. It is as if the fill tool can only work on non-transparent points. Switching "keep trans" off on the layer to be filled doesn't make a difference.

If I could start with a white or black layer, fill inside the outline with my chosen pattern, then fill outside the outline with transparency, that would solve the problem too. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to fill an area with transparency, only with a colour.

Short of freehand selecting my (complicated) outline and filling the selected area, is there any way to fill an outline on a transparent layer?

Yours hopefully, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +41-43-2660706 (h) http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +41- 1-6327531 (w)

nigel
2002-07-06 11:42:54 UTC (over 21 years ago)

Hope this makes sense;

Place a white layer underneath - return to the transparent layer - double click fill tool; turn on sample merged and set MODE to BEHIND, will probably need to push threshold up as well, then fill.

Nigel

Karl Auer wrote:

Hi there.

I have a closed outline on an otherwise transparent layer. I want to fill the area inside the outline, but not the area outside the outline. More accurately, I want to achieve the *effect* of a filled outline surrounded by transparency - it doesn't have to happen on the layer with the outline :-)

Using the fill tool, I can only fill inside the outline if the outline is on a white or black layer. Using "sample merged" in the fill tool, I can create a filled shape on a lower white or black layer too, of course. It is as if the fill tool can only work on non-transparent points. Switching "keep trans" off on the layer to be filled doesn't make a difference.

If I could start with a white or black layer, fill inside the outline with my chosen pattern, then fill outside the outline with transparency, that would solve the problem too. Unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a way to fill an area with transparency, only with a colour.

Short of freehand selecting my (complicated) outline and filling the selected area, is there any way to fill an outline on a transparent layer?

Yours hopefully, K.

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Karl Auer (kauer@biplane.com.au) +41-43-2660706 (h) http://www.biplane.com.au/~kauer/ +41- 1-6327531 (w)