RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tutorial Pointers Page in PDF format (former : Re. Good tutorial in PDF format)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

5 of 8 messages available
Toggle history

Please log in to manage your subscriptions.

Tutorial Pointers Page in PDF format (former : Re. Good tutorial in PDF format) Jon Winters 08 Jun 20:35
gynther@bredband.net 07 Oct 20:15
  Tutorial Pointers Page in PDF format (former : Re. Good tutorial in PDF format) Jeff Trefftzs 08 Jun 19:08
   Tutorial Pointers Page in PDF format (former : Re. Good tutorial in PDF format) Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero 08 Jun 20:25
    Tutorial Pointers Page in PDF format (former : Re. Good tutorial in PDF format) Carl-Johan Sveningsson 08 Jun 20:44
200206091825.g59IPOT10520@t... 07 Oct 20:15
  Tutorial Pointers Page in PDF format (former : Re. Good tutorial in PDF format) Stephen Liu 10 Jun 02:18
5.1.0.14.0.20020609162923.0... 07 Oct 20:15
Jeff Trefftzs
2002-06-08 19:08:18 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

From his headers, Stephen Liu is on a windows machine, which means he may lack

most of the nice linux/unix web tools such as wget, etc. Are there any other windows users out there who have tried to download/convert the various GIMP tutorials?

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-06-08 20:25:35 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

trefftzs@tcsn.net (2002-06-08 at 1008.18 -0700):

From his headers, Stephen Liu is on a windows machine, which means he may lack most of the nice linux/unix web tools such as wget, etc. Are there any other windows users out there who have tried to download/convert the various GIMP tutorials?

wget exists for Win32, so do lot of Unix tools (search for Cygwin or POSIX or any other terms), like a decent shell. Dunno if NS is capable of printing to PS directly under MS Windows, and that is a first step towards the ps2pdf path.

But I know there are ways to print to PDF in Win32 quite easily: http://hamgate.upc.es/aru/links/docs/pdf/pdf.html. It is in Spanish, so not very useful as is (I have exams and the only Win32 I have access to are in Univ, aka I will not able to translate it soon, and I will need somebody to do screenshots). Other option is that somebody create a new doc similar to the hamgate one with info from http://www.google.com/search?q=redmon+ghostscript+pdf+printer

GSR

Jon Winters
2002-06-08 20:35:30 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Jeff Trefftzs wrote:

From his headers, Stephen Liu is on a windows machine, which means he may lack

most of the nice linux/unix web tools such as wget, etc. Are there any other windows users out there who have tried to download/convert the various GIMP tutorials?

Whenever I'm forced to use a windows machine the first thing I do is install the Gimp, wget (its available for windows), and all of the ImageMagick tools.

Makes your windows experience a much more plesant one. :-)

Wget for windows is identical to the linux version except for the man page is just a readme.txt file.

Enjoy!

Carl-Johan Sveningsson
2002-06-08 20:44:32 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On Sat, 8 Jun 2002, Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero wrote:

wget exists for Win32, so do lot of Unix tools (search for Cygwin or POSIX or any other terms), like a decent shell. Dunno if NS is capable of printing to PS directly under MS Windows, and that is a first step towards the ps2pdf path.

First, I think its in place to point out that we've now drifted quite far from the solution the poor guy originally requested. Shellscripting etc is not a simple solution, which his question "In which folder will the site be stored" illustrates, quite unintuitive, and all of this still demands the downloading of entire sites in HTML... i.e. - not what was requested originally - simply tutorials in pdf, which might be quite a good idea to try providing further on.

Though, converting to pdf etc. is still interesting, and my $0.02 is that printing to any FILE-connected (i.e. - choose FILE rather than LPR1/2) generic Postscript-printer under Windows will generate what seems to be a proper ps-file, just rename it from file.prn or whatever Windows prefers to call them, to file.ps.

This seems to work, at least to the extent that I've brought such files (via gzip and scp) through the school's unix lpr-printers, they can be edited with mpage/psnup etc. Though, I figure that a good idea might be to also bring them through ps2ps to clean them up.

My $0.02...

/Carl-Johan

Stephen Liu
2002-06-10 02:18:42 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi Jeff, John and other guys,

Lot of thanks for your continue support. Now I have a collective information

I am in a different situation. I have certain knowledge on Adobe PhotoShop, Corel PhotoPaint, KPT filtering, etc. For such a reason I don't expect going through the complete GIMP tutorial, page by page. I only need to download it as a file in smaller size for reference in case encountering difficulty in using GIMP.

Anyway thanks again.

Stephen

At 11:25 AM 2002/6/9 -0700, you wrote:

Hi Stephen -

I think that wget may be just what you want to replace weblicator - I seem to remember that they suggest using it to creat mirror sites. Good luck with your migration from windows.

-- --Jeff