RSS/Atom feed Twitter
Site is read-only, email is disabled

Tutorial Pointers Page in PDF format (former : Re. Good tutorial in PDF format)

This discussion is connected to the gimp-user-list.gnome.org mailing list which is provided by the GIMP developers and not related to gimpusers.com.

This is a read-only list on gimpusers.com so this discussion thread is read-only, too.

Stephen Liu
2002-06-07 02:46:42 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Good tutorial in PDF format

Hi All People,

I just join this list.

Could any guy advise me where can I find/download a good Gimp tutorial in PDF format.

I found following site :

http://empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/gimp/tuts/

in html format. I fail to discover whether it is available in PDF format.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Liu

John Culleton
2002-06-08 01:39:35 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Good tutorial in PDF format

On Thursday 06 June 2002 08:46 pm, Stephen Liu wrote:

Hi All People,

I just join this list.

Could any guy advise me where can I find/download a good Gimp tutorial in PDF format.

I found following site :

in html format. I fail to discover whether it is available in PDF format.

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Liu

There are many tutorials referenced at www.gimp.org. have you exhausted them?

And of course there is the grandest tutorial of them all, 900 plus pages. It is called the Gimp Reference Manual, and is downloadable in pdf form.

Stephen Liu
2002-06-08 02:26:43 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi John,

Thanks for your advice.

I found following website

from www.gimp.org under the link referred as "Gimp Tutorial Pointers Page". The documents there are quite interesting, but I expect to find those tutorials in PDF format.

Sorry for not having clearly mentioned in my last posting.

Stephen Liu

Malcolm Tredinnick
2002-06-08 02:41:45 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 08:26:43AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

from www.gimp.org under the link referred as "Gimp Tutorial Pointers Page". The documents there are quite interesting, but I expect to find those tutorials in PDF format.

I think you're basically out of luck. A lot of tutorials exist (as you already see) in HTML format. If you would prefer something pre-printed, try the print version of "Grokking the Gimp".

The original Gimp manual was available in PDF, if I recall correctly, but is was based on 1.0.x and is very dated now. Grokking the Gimp has really surpassed it as the "useful reference" (well, along with Sven's Pocket Reference, of course).

Malcolm

Jon Winters
2002-06-08 06:18:22 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Stephen Liu wrote:

I've never seen Gimp tutorials in PDF format. You might want to poke around freshmeat.net or sourceforge to find a PDF printing filter. You could load an HTML tutorial in your browser and "print to PDF" and then do what you please as long as you don't violate the copyright of the web author.

Why the PDF format??

Stephen Liu
2002-06-08 11:12:57 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi Jon,

Thanks for your response.

At 11:18 PM 2002/6/7 -0500, Jon Winters wrote:

I've never seen Gimp tutorials in PDF format. You might want to poke around freshmeat.net or sourceforge to find a PDF printing filter. You could load an HTML tutorial in your browser and "print to PDF" and then do what you please as long as you don't violate the copyright of the web author.

Why the PDF format??

Gimp user's manuals has PDF version. You are right, most manuals in HTML Framed / Ordinary version. PDF version is much smaller in file size than HTML version. But this is not my point looking for a PDF version of the tutorial "Tutorial Pointers Page" in following website

They are web-pages. Then I have to save all of them page by page. It shall take a lengthy time to complete not including the time to print them to a .pdf file.

Anyway I will to take a browse on Internet.

Thanks

Stephen

Stephen Liu
2002-06-08 11:26:04 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi Malcolm,

Thanks for your response.

Gimp user's manual, second edition, has PDF version of 9.49MB in file size. Grokking the Gimp in HTML, the tarball is 26.8 MB. I have both of them downloaded.

But this is not my point looking for a PDF version of the tutorial "Tutorial Pointers Page" in following website

They are web-pages. Then I have to save all of them page by page. It shall take me a lengthy time to complete not including the time to print them to a .pdf file.

Anyway I will to take a browse on Internet.

Thanks

Stephen Liu

At 10:41 AM 2002/6/8 +1000, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 08:26:43AM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

Thanks for your advice.

I think you're basically out of luck. A lot of tutorials exist (as you already see) in HTML format. If you would prefer something pre-printed, try the print version of "Grokking the Gimp".

The original Gimp manual was available in PDF, if I recall correctly, but is was based on 1.0.x and is very dated now. Grokking the Gimp has really surpassed it as the "useful reference" (well, along with Sven's Pocket Reference, of course).

Malcolm

Guillermo S. Romero / Familia Romero
2002-06-08 16:32:22 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

satimis@writeme.com (2002-06-08 at 1726.04 +0800):

They are web-pages. Then I have to save all of them page by page. It shall take me a lengthy time to complete not including the time to print them to a .pdf file.

There are tools to get web pages automatically, like wget. For conversion too, like html2pdf or html2ps + ghostscript or htmldoc or print from the browser to a pdf file (virtual printer trick). Just search for the tools first, then let the computer work for you.

Also remember that the format of the web is HTML, not PDF, so it is normal to find few things in PDF and a lot in HTML. OTOH, I just did a quick test, hit print in NS, selected file, then converted the ps to pdf. Not completly automatic, but not too long. For mass conversion, I would print everything to ps, then run a script to convert all the ps in the directory to pdf. And I would get the files with the proper names, not some weird names, so I doubt it is really a waste of time.

GSR

Stephen Liu
2002-06-08 18:17:57 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

Hi Massimiliano,

Thanks for your advice.

The wget tool sounds similar to "weblicator" in Windows, downloading the complete homepage including all links for offline browsing.

Before start please advise :

1) How to check whether the wget tool has been installed ? 2) Where shall the complete homepage be stored, in which folder/directory ? 3) Would it be possible to print the complete homepage download including links in one ' click ' similar to printing a file rather then to print page by page

Thanks in advance.

Stephen Liu

At 01:17 PM 2002/6/8 +0200, you wrote:

On Sat, Jun 08, 2002 at 05:26:04PM +0800, Stephen Liu wrote:

http://empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/gimp/tuts/ They are web-pages. Then I have to save all of them page by page. It shall take me a lengthy time to complete not including the time to print them to a .pdf file.

If the wget tool is available on your machine, just issue:

wget --mirror --no-parent http://empyrean.lib.ndsu.nodak.edu/~nem/gimp/tuts/

The tutorials directory will be mirrored onto your hard disk without further action and you will be able to browse it locally.

If wget is not available, you can download it for Windows at ftp://sunsite.dk/projects/wget/windows or (better) as part of the cygwin distribution. It is free software like GIMP.

Hope this helps.

Massimiliano

Christian Gundersson
2002-06-08 18:28:05 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

lör 2002-06-08 klockan 18.17 skrev Stephen Liu:

Hi Massimiliano,

Thanks for your advice.

The wget tool sounds similar to "weblicator" in Windows, downloading the complete homepage including all links for offline browsing.

1) How to check whether the wget tool has been installed ?

Asuming you use rpm then, "rpm -qa | grep wget" in a terminal should do the trick. If you get a line saying something like "wget-1.23-i386" then it's installed.

2) Where shall the complete homepage be stored, in which folder/directory ?

Wherever you preffer, a good advice is ~/downloads/name-of-homepage. Just make a directory in your homecatalogue and place it there.

3) Would it be possible to print the complete homepage download including links in one ' click ' similar to printing a file rather then to print page by page

I dunno, some other person has to help you there sorry :

//Christian Gundersson /Gimp amateur
"Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous"

John Culleton
2002-06-08 18:49:35 UTC (almost 22 years ago)

On Saturday 08 June 2002 12:28 pm, Christian Gundersson wrote:

lör 2002-06-08 klockan 18.17 skrev Stephen Liu:

Hi Massimiliano,

Thanks for your advice.

1) How to check whether the wget tool has been installed ?

Asuming you use rpm then, "rpm -qa | grep wget" in a terminal should do the trick. If you get a line saying something like "wget-1.23-i386" then it's installed.

2) Where shall the complete homepage be stored, in which folder/directory ?

Wherever you preffer, a good advice is ~/downloads/name-of-homepage. Just make a directory in your homecatalogue and place it there.

3) Would it be possible to print the complete homepage download including links in one ' click ' similar to printing a file rather then to print page by page

I dunno, some other person has to help you there sorry :

//Christian Gundersson /Gimp amateur
"Professionals are predictable, it's the amateurs that are dangerous"

On most Linux systems

locate wget

will find it and

man wget

will tell you more than you ever need to know.

Wget is just a non-interactive version of ftp, comparable to the old uucp method of unattended file transfer.

I just used it to download all the Context manuals. It took two steps. First I downloaded a list of manuals and second I referenced that list and downloaded the manuals themselves.

HTH